My Apologies...

Ben Gooding

2 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

I wanted to start this thread to apologize for doubting Mason Fine. Though I knew he was a freshman last year, he did not overly impress me. I looked at him as an injury prone QB that played with too many inconsistencies. I watched a guy come off our bench in the bowl game and have a better game than Fine had all season. I just wasn't sold. I attended the Spring Game this past April and to be absolutely honest, Mason Fine looked horrible in that scrimmage. As if he was regressing. 

I want to apologize for doubting Mason Fine. I want to also apologize to the offensive staff for railing them for what I saw as potentially more of the same unfolding in front of us. 

This season might end up being one for the books. These next 2 years might end up being very, very special. 

*We still need a new DC. 

We need to recruit more and bigger d linemen.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Ben Gooding said:

I know this. He was practically a bench player at that point in time starting in the HoD Bowl. 

Just saying because in the post you said

10 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

I watched a guy come off our bench in the bowl game and have a better game than Fine had all season.

• Downvote 2

14 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

I wanted to start this thread to apologize for doubting Mason Fine. Though I knew he was a freshman last year, he did not overly impress me. I looked at him as an injury prone QB that played with too many inconsistencies. I watched a guy come off our bench in the bowl game and have a better game than Fine had all season. I just wasn't sold. I attended the Spring Game this past April and to be absolutely honest, Mason Fine looked horrible in that scrimmage. As if he was regressing. 

I want to apologize for doubting Mason Fine. I want to also apologize to the offensive staff for railing them for what I saw as potentially more of the same unfolding in front of us. 

This season might end up being one for the books. These next 2 years might end up being very, very special. 

*We still need a new DC. 

IMG_6068.GIF

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, emmitt01 said:

IMG_6068.GIF

I just didn't see it. I saw him as a serviceable guy at best that could maybe, hopefully keep our heads above water until we got a real QB in here. 

The improvement from last year to this year is unprecedented. And for the everyday realist, absolutely unforeseen. 

• Lovely Take 1

2 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

I just didn't see it. I saw him as a serviceable guy at best that could maybe, hopefully keep our heads above water until we got a real QB in here. 

The improvement from last year to this year is unprecedented. And for the everyday realist, absolutely unforeseen. 

He was running for his life last year and had receivers who weren’t making as many plays. And a defense that wasn’t as good. I thought his play last year, all things considered (including him being a freshman), was great. I knew this year would be even better if he got the help around him, which he has. Everyone has played at a higher level. Maybe most people don’t know this, but the NFL scouts were making Russell Wilson comparisons before last season started. Saying he had a long way to go, obviously, but that he was better than Russell was at this same point in his career. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

It wasn't unseen by LIttrell.

• Lovely Take 1

Just now, DoctorJJ said:

He was running for his life last year and had receivers who weren’t making as many plays. And a defense that wasn’t as good. I thought his play last year, all things considered (including him being a freshman), was great. I knew this year would be even better if he got the help around him, which he has. Everyone has played at a higher level. Maybe most people don’t know this, but the NFL scouts were making Russell Wilson comparisons before last season started. Saying he had a long way to go, obviously, but that he was better than Russell was at this same point in his career. 

I agree with all of this except the highlighted part...But many of his running for life instances were self inflicted. He toe tapped and baby patted the ball far too often last year. Which brings me to another point I did want to add. Huge props to the OL this year. They, like Fine, are far and away better at pass pro in comparison to last year. 

Our D is worse this year. At least my memory is telling me it is. We are just far and away better on O.