Finally Got Our Guy

BillySee58

7 minutes ago, greenjoe said:

When Scott Davis was here I always felt that if he were in the game we had a chance to win.  When Army came back and scored their last TD, my wife asked me if we could win.  I knew Mason would find a way.  

Thanks to Trevor as well. 

Beat Rice

GO MEAN GEEEN

I sit front row end zone seats and after the pass play down to the 1 on Army's final drive, I was screaming at the team to let them score. After they scored and 1:23 was left on the scoreboard, I started applauding. An Army fan attempted to high five me, and I said, "I'm not clapping for Army, I'm clapping b/c they scored with time on the clock. Your team just lost the game." 

I knew we would get into 50-ish range for a FG attempt. Low and behold we got to a 39 yard attempt. 

It was so much awesomeness. 

• Upvote 5
  • Lovely Take 1

Mason's confidence transfers to the fanbase. 

Back on 10.14.17 I looked at my group and said, "I can't believe UTSA is giving us the ball back."  Then The Drive happened.

Yesterday I had one of those wild thoughts too before the game.  I remember the UTSA tailgate being fun but ordinary.  I remember after the game thinking I never at the start of that day thought I was going to watch such a historic and epic win inside our very own stadium. 

At the post game tailgate as we broke out the champagne for an undefeated Apogee season, I remembered that thought going into the game. It was cold, it was windy, the tailgaters were sparse...proves you must be at or watch the game. You never know when you are going to witness greatness and memories for life.

Let's outnumber Rice fans next week in Houston!

GO MEAN GREEN!!!!!

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1

15 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

I wanted us to call a time out with Army the n the 2! Can Fine audible at the line?

I’m not sure if mason can, but if he isn’t able to.. you needs to be able to next year. 

The kid even adjusted the TD play vs UTSA for the game winner on the sideline earlier in the game he said in his post UTSA presser. 

• Lovely Take 1

4 hours ago, golfingomez said:

the only reason Fine threw that ball was because he knew he had the offsides penalty. that is his level of football IQ

I agree it was the absolutely the right thing to go with the throw given the situation.

BUT with CUSA refs, unless he actually saw the flag (and could read ALL of the ref's minds) there's no guarantee the penalty was going to stand.  Wouldn't have been surprised to see some dude (or gal) come running up from 60yds away to overrule the call.

Edited by meaniegreenie

1 minute ago, meaniegreenie said:

I agree it was the absolutely the right thing to go with the throw given the situation.

BUT with CUSA refs, unless he actually saw the flag (and could read ALL of the ref's minds) there's no guarantee the penalty was going to stand.  Wouldn't have been surprised to see some dude (or gal) come running up from 60yds away to overrule the call.

When did the flag come out on the off-sides? I was looking and did not see it till last second..

2 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

Exactly.  When Army was making their last drive @medpilot21 and I looked at eachother and said "just let them score so we can give Mason and the offense time to drive."  

Yeah, I was hoping we didn't pull a bone-headed move and try to stop them for 4 downs inside the 5, burning up time. 

I'm glad they scored on the first play, but if coach didn't tell the D to let them score, then that's a coaching mistake given the situation.

2 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

When did the flag come out on the off-sides? I was looking and did not see it till last second..

The flag came out at on snap. Referencing from the home grand stand, the far side DE jumped into the neutral zone on the snap and the far side line judge instantly threw the flag. MF saw it, he side shuttled to his left and chunked it deep. His head while he was shuffling to his left in the pocket almost sort of quickly glimpsed over to the far sideline to confirm a flag and then he chucked it up.  It was a heads up play. 

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

Oh, it absolutely led to this. I remember going into the 2015 season Mccarney was seemingly untouchable, as was RV. Who knows how many 4-8/5-7 type seasons it would've taken to get Mccarney out? Much better in the long run that the 2015 season was a catastrophe and not just another bad team like 2014.

Well I think after 2014 -- which was a good team that had poor QB coaching/performing -- the reason we had 2015 is that everyone was disappointed with the QB coaching, play, and recruiting. 

• Lovely Take 1

i pray that Steve Ramsey was looking down on Apogee from above last night.  And I hope that Scott Davis, Mitch Maher, Scott Hall and Derek Thompson all have a chance to see The Chief play some time soon because he is an incarnation of them all in some way.  In strength, intelligence, in spirit, pride, situational awareness, in ability, in heart and in battle.  

It's such a great time to be Mean Green.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 6

12 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

i pray that Steve Ramsey was looking down on Apogee from above last night.  And I hope that Scott Davis, Mitch Maher, Scott Hall and Derek Thompson all have a chance to see The Chief play some time soon because he is an incarnation of them all in some way.  In strength, intelligence, in spirit, pride, situational awareness, in ability, in heart and in battle.  

It's such a great time to be Mean Green.

Rick

Derek was there last night.  I’ve seen him at several games this year.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 2

38 minutes ago, TIgreen01 said:

Screw best in the conference, Fine is one of the best in the nation.  

Time for this offense and these players and coaches to start getting some serious recognition.

Yea he is a top dog in CUSA, but this offense needs having huge games week in and week out. 

He needs to be doing what he did vs Army vs All of CUSA. Also, he needs to have UNT be successful in terms of record.

Just now, BTG_Fan1 said:

Yea he is a top dog in CUSA, but this offense needs having huge games week in and week out. 

He needs to be doing what he did vs Army vs All of CUSA. Also, he needs to have UNT be successful in terms of record.

The offense has really only been stymied in 2 or 3 games. Points were still put up and yardage still gained. 

I think we would be getting way, way, way more coverage and publicity had it not been for a literal handful of 1 score wins vs teams such as ODU and UAB. Wins are wins are wins, but the media doesn't look at it like this. Had we beat ODU and UAB like we beat UTEP, I think more people would be looking at us as a legitimate giant killer. 

And of course the smug and Iowa game kind of hurt the perception a bit as well on a national standpoint. 

1 minute ago, Ben Gooding said:

The offense has really only been stymied in 2 or 3 games. Points were still put up and yardage still gained. 

I think we would be getting way, way, way more coverage and publicity had it not been for a literal handful of 1 score wins vs teams such as ODU and UAB. Wins are wins are wins, but the media doesn't look at it like this. Had we beat ODU and UAB like we beat UTEP, I think more people would be looking at us as a legitimate giant killer. 

And of course the smug and Iowa game kind of hurt the perception a bit as well on a national standpoint. 

Agreed the 1 score games kill how UNT is viewed, and one of the major reasons I’ve said it needs to be improved.. Army was a game that should have been close and it was a game we excelled on Offense and on ST.. Thank god for the fumbled PR to offset the late 1st half INT by Fine. The offense damn near scored every drive, I only recall 2 drives we didn’t.. 

Fines stat line I believe vs UTEP was like 250 for 4TDs.. the TDs are great by yardage is not. Again, Fine and this offense have far exceed any pre-season  expectations. They were 110+ last year and all of us would have been happy with them finishing this year in 60-80s.. This offense will hopefully only get better under Fine and GH if UNT can find a way to keep him, but I think it maybe difficult to keep GH because of ranking/production and what he has done with Fine from Freshman to Sophmore year. Would love for Fine to reach the 4,000 passing yardage milestone. 

• Lovely Take 1

4 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

I can't tell you how happy I am that we have reached the point as a program where we worry about winning by enough and whether our quarterback gets national pub.  

Thank God we have a track record of winning, and a potential 9-3 campaign isn't reason enough to do cartwheels down Fry Street.  

Happiness exudes me last night. Today, I think of tomorrow. 

Push pass the threshold of acceptable. 4-8 would've been deemed "acceptable" by most. The talk of, "Well we were 1-11 just 2 years ago" would've flooded this board. And you would've gotten in line with it. Let's rejoice in the success, sure. But let's think about the possibilities of what is to come, and how we're going to get there. 

59 minutes ago, bstnsportsfan3 said:

after some of the horrible qb play i have seen since i started following NT in 2007, i just have to say we are blessed to have a QB like fine. He makes throws that are just unbelievable and makes em look easy! Its so refreshing after watching the putrid 2015 offense.

Good to see you again yesterday.  Been too long.

Rick

• Upvote 1