Finally Got Our Guy

BillySee58

1 minute ago, BillySee58 said:

After years of watching good QBs taking G5/Non-AQ conference teams to double digit win seasons, BCS bowls, and top 25 rankings, we finally got our guy. Guys like Ryan Dinwiddie, Jared Zabransky, and Kellen Moore at Boise, Alex Smith and Brian Johnson at Utah, Colt Brennan, Jordan Lynch, Austin Davis, Rakeem Cato, Brandon Doughty, Case Keenum, and the list goes on.

All these guys at other schools and we finally got ours. All because we had a coach who was willing to look past height and realize that a QB with prototypical height who was actually a good QB was going to be hard to find, so getting a great one who was undersized was more likely. 

Yup, greatness, Littrell and Fine.  And a Fine bromance.

11 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

After years of watching good QBs taking G5/Non-AQ conference teams to double digit win seasons, BCS bowls, and top 25 rankings, we finally got our guy. Guys like Ryan Dinwiddie, Jared Zabransky, and Kellen Moore at Boise, Alex Smith and Brian Johnson at Utah, Colt Brennan, Jordan Lynch, Austin Davis, Rakeem Cato, Brandon Doughty, Case Keenum, and the list goes on.

All these guys at other schools and we finally got ours. All because we had a coach who was willing to look past height and realize that a QB with prototypical height who was actually a good QB was going to be hard to find, so getting a great one who was undersized was more likely. 

With the numbers that Fine is putting up we may start catching more eyes of QBS who love the air raid offense.  They will have to wait a couple of years because he is going to better as junior and a senior.

Edited by southsideguy
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

Remember when Andrew McIowa was our starting QB going into a season. I remember. 

Strangely, that season may have led to this season, although there was some skepticism about hiring Littrell, with the emphasis on a high scoring offense.  I think we just saw that what we need sometimes is just to outscore people.

Edited by eulessismore

13 minutes ago, eulessismore said:

Strangely, that season may have led to this season, although there was some skepticism about hiring Littrell, with the emphasis on a high scoring offense.  I think we just saw that what we need sometimes is just to outscore people.

Oh, it absolutely led to this. I remember going into the 2015 season Mccarney was seemingly untouchable, as was RV. Who knows how many 4-8/5-7 type seasons it would've taken to get Mccarney out? Much better in the long run that the 2015 season was a catastrophe and not just another bad team like 2014.

• Upvote 3

Lots of "what if's" in the careers of great athletes. For instance, what if Fine's second "int' had not been wiped out by an off sides penalty?

Having said that, I don't think I've seen a QB at NT with as much ice in his veins and as much pure confidence in his ability to win a game regardless of the circumstances. Mitch Maher and Scott Davis are the two closest. Scott Hall and Jordan Case would be in there too. 

And let me remind everyone that when Fine went down right before half in the Iowa game,  his back-up had the team in the end zone in three plays. That took a bit of ice and confidence.

So, I would like to suggest that a great amount of credit for these games goes to a coaching staff that recognizes both talent and "intangibles" in the players that they both recruit and retain. Not to mention the assessment, coaching and development. 

And finally,  I would like to say that I've never seen a more talented group of receivers at North Texas. Fine knows that all of them will be where they are supposed to be. And that, more often as not, they will come down with the ball. 

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

Oh, it absolutely led to this. I remember going into the 2015 season Mccarney was seemingly untouchable, as was RV. Who knows how many 4-8/5-7 type seasons it would've taken to get Mccarney out? Much better in the long run that the 2015 season was a catastrophe and not just another bad team like 2014.

We will have 3 bowl games in the last 5 seasons! What happened in between SUCKED really bad. Undersized over achievers at qb is the key! GMG 

Edited by Wag Tag
  • Upvote 2

I am a big Fine fan, not only of the player but also of the person he appears to be.  I would like to remind everyone of the family friend or faimly member that came on here last year and told us to be patient with Fine.  We all owe that person an apology.

Really looking forward to the next couple of years.

Edited by UNTLifer

3 hours ago, SilverEagle said:

Lots of "what if's" in the careers of great athletes. For instance, what if Fine's second "int' had not been wiped out by an off sides penalty?

Having said that, I don't think I've seen a QB at NT with as much ice in his veins and as much pure confidence in his ability to win a game regardless of the circumstances. Mitch Maher and Scott Davis are the two closest. Scott Hall and Jordan Case would be in there too. 

And let me remind everyone that when Fine went down right before half in the Iowa game,  his back-up had the team in the end zone in three plays. That took a bit of ice and confidence.

So, I would like to suggest that a great amount of credit for these games goes to a coaching staff that recognizes both talent and "intangibles" in the players that they both recruit and retain. Not to mention the assessment, coaching and development. 

And finally,  I would like to say that I've never seen a more talented group of receivers at North Texas. Fine knows that all of them will be where they are supposed to be. And that, more often as not, they will come down with the ball. 

He had the awareness to know that Army jumped offsides and knew he was getting a free play. He just heaved it to one of his guys in 1 on 1. Almost came down as a big completion for us, but move the stick up 5 yards for a re-do. He knew what he was doing. The 1st interception was bad....As in I screamed out NO when he threw it, and his hands went to his head when he threw it. He knew better. 

• Upvote 5

Chief is becoming a human highlight reel.  He throws a very catchable ball and our receiving corps across the board are the best I can remember ever having and I've been following the team for a long time.  We've had plenty of great receivers and go to guys throughout our history, but have we ever been this deep?  So many weapons and they all have great hands and make clutch catches.   It's been so much fun watching this team play ball.

• Upvote 7

27 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I am a big Fine fan, not only of the player but also of the person he appears to be.  I would like to remind everyone of the family friend or faimly member that came on here last year and   We all owe that person an apology.

Well, not all of us.  But point taken.

Probably a lot of folks owe Vito an apology.  

Hahaha.  

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, keith said:

Chief is becoming a human highlight reel.  He throws a very catchable ball and our receiving corps across the board are the best I can remember ever having and I've been following the team for a long time.  We've had plenty of great receivers and go to guys throughout our history, but have we ever been this deep?  So many weapons and they all have great hands and make clutch catches.   It's been so much fun watching this team play ball.

yup... so many options out there... Guyton goes down and on the very next drive Lawrence makes two HUGE catches to keep it rolling

Smiley with his best game of the year... 

Bussey had another good night, but had his worst drop of the year when he dropped a TD ball that hit him in the numbers

Smith is the best safety valve you could ask for

it's a fun offense to watch

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

8 hours ago, oldguystudent said:

Vizza talent.  Thompson maturity.  He's the whole package. 

Meh, Vizza was ok I guess. I don’t remember jack squat about him since his stint was so short under Teflon Todd. Compare Fine to one of the great NT passers of yesteryear. One of these old farts will tell you who they are, ‘cause there were only 2-3 of them. 😄

Edited by Got5onIt
  • Downvote 1