Rice Game Question

BTG_Fan1

56 minutes ago, MeanGreenDan said:

"The best bowl we can hope for is HOD, and we are already a shoo in. Independence Bowl hasn't sniffed us, and neither has the New Orleans Bowl. The New Mexico Bowl has interest in us but I don't think we do in them."

UAB is only CUSA team I have seen mentioned in the same breath as Independence Bowl,{ although I would love to go there} and  them having reps at our game is certainly a good sign. However, if you look at the bowls that CUSA is partnered with, the HOD looks to me like the pick of the liter.If we lose to FAU we get 2nd choice, and unless a conference doesn't have enough bowl eligible schools to fill their slots and something bigger drops in our laps, its the HOD for us.

1 minute ago, North Texas Shep said:

Who all is out for that game as of now? Most likely Guyton. What about Wilson? I do not think they will sit folks for the game. No game can be taken lightly. 

Wilson is out for a long period... maybe even the bowl game..

Guyton should not even play.. Allow him to fully recover, we saw enough from Rico and Smiley tonight to allow Guyton to get 100% for FAU and the bowl game...

Tillman wasn't putting much pressure on his foot, and Henson was in his jumpsuit with no wrap or anything from what I saw, but I would likely let him sit as well.. No need to rush him, Guyton...

Also, for everyone wondering... English is was without him brace... No information but it would be a great addition if they some how got him into the FAU bowl game.

We need to beat Rice. Otherwise we will likely have to listen to UAB and/or Southern Miss claiming to be co-division champs if either of them win next weekend (though we still go to the championship game due to head-to-head).  Let’s win out and stand alone with the best conference record in the west.  

• Upvote 3

We really need to win the Rice game. It will help our standing with recruits as X+1 wins is always better than just X wins. It could help our bowl options and losing certainly will NOT help our bowl options. It will help build interest in the CUSA Championship game. 

Resting players is a nice but totally optional thought. If we can, great. But don't even risk a chance at one less win. 

As for our bowl options, we really don't know what the options are yet. Some of the P5 conferences aren't likely to have enough 6 win teams to fill their compliment of bowls. Extra open bowls means more opportunities for the G5 schools. We are more attractive to bowls with an extra win regardless of how we do against FAU in the Championship game. If we win the Championship game, I really think letting CUSA, ESPN and the other Bowl powers have some options in where they place us will be better for everyone including us. That doesn't mean we simply go where they say but let's at least listen to what all the option are!

Losing to Rice would dump us down a notch. We have people paying attention to us. Attendance is rising. Media exposure is starting to happen. We were talked about on College Gameday with highlights. We were talked about again late last night on the College Football Live Recap on ESPN. Losing to Rice would halt that progress. We can't lose to a 1-10 team. It must not happen. 

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

On 11/19/2017 at 12:20 AM, risinggreen said:

11-3 and we are either ranked or a top vote getter. Depends on our bowl opponent of course, but I would bet on our hitting 25th at 11-3 and a bowl win over someone with  "decent name recognition." Also, Rice is a big game in many ways, and they tend to play us tough. No one wants cripples out on the field, but we need to throw our healthy best out there. 

FAU look at who FAU has beaten and how they have beaten them.. 

MTSU +18, ODU +30, UNT +38, WKU +14, Marshall +5, LT +25, FIU +28... 

they are barely getting any votes.. yes it is nice to think we may get Top 25 votes but we will not.. If UNT wants any chance beat FAU like they beat us and make a statement on Championship Saturday, and then again in the bowl vs a solid opponent if you want any consideration..

As a G5 team, you have to blowout and destroy other programs to get votes and beat a P5.. we beat Army and Lamar, got ran out of the house by 2 G5 programs (SMU & FAU), and had multiple single possession wins over CUSA programs.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

On 11/19/2017 at 5:13 AM, UNT 90 Grad said:

We need to beat Rice. Otherwise we will likely have to listen to UAB and/or Southern Miss claiming to be co-division champs if either of them win next weekend (though we still go to the championship game due to head-to-head).  Let’s win out and stand alone with the best conference record in the west.  

They can look at the scoreboards from when we beat them.... Sucks to suck for them. 

On 11/19/2017 at 1:24 AM, wardly said:

However, if you look at the bowls that CUSA is partnered with, the HOD looks to me like the pick of the liter.

HOD not is officially a CUSA partner bowl for 2017. It's Big 12 vs Big Ten, at least until trades start happening.

http://www.theheartofdallasbowl.com/matchup

• Thanks 1

On 11/18/2017 at 10:32 PM, BTG_Fan1 said:

Just thought of this, and how the Rice game is somewhat meaningless to us...

Does SL roll with the backups? I would be play Quinn and all of the true-freshman as well (the ones that have already played and not burning anyones RS). Allow anyone and everyone that is banged up to rest up and recover. 

Hopefully the staff could then pitch to kids in the HOU area on the ability to come to UNT and get a solid amount of playing time.

Have to keep the offense/personnel hot and rolling. Can't lose momentum.

• Upvote 2

On 11/18/2017 at 10:32 PM, BTG_Fan1 said:

Just thought of this, and how the Rice game is somewhat meaningless to us...

Does SL roll with the backups? I would be play Quinn and all of the true-freshman as well (the ones that have already played and not burning anyones RS). Allow anyone and everyone that is banged up to rest up and recover. 

Hopefully the staff could then pitch to kids in the HOU area on the ability to come to UNT and get a solid amount of playing time.

This approach is a bad idea. (Ask Jason Garrett last season.) Keep the momentum going into that championship game.

• Upvote 1

I think you play starters at least a quarter to get the work. Saw too many NFL teams that rested starters before the playoffs start and then lose the first playoff game. That has been happening a lot the last few years. Belechick or however you spell his name never rests his players the whole game even when they have home field throughout and they usually end up in the SB or AFC Championship game. Brady at least plays a quarter to get the work and then he is pulled. I know they are not NFL players, but I don't want them to have a slow start in the CUSA Championship game either. That would be like a buy week if we totally rest them thy whole game. They started slow after the buy week against UTSA. Most of CUSA started slow after their buy weeks. So, I say play them a quarter and then rest them when we have the lead.

On 11/19/2017 at 1:24 AM, wardly said:

UAB is only CUSA team I have seen mentioned in the same breath as Independence Bowl,{ although I would love to go there} and  them having reps at our game is certainly a good sign. However, if you look at the bowls that CUSA is partnered with, the HOD looks to me like the pick of the liter.If we lose to FAU we get 2nd choice, and unless a conference doesn't have enough bowl eligible schools to fill their slots and something bigger drops in our laps, its the HOD for us.

We were just mentioned in the same breath...

https://www.si.com/college-football/2017/11/19/bowl-projections-schedule-matchups-week-12-playoff-rankings

On 11/19/2017 at 12:35 AM, BTG_Fan1 said:

Armed Forces people don’t want an Army UNT match up.. the people that run the Armed Forces, also run HoD...

UTSA is likely bound to Fort Worth

Do you have some inside information or is this just your speculation?

Let's see, an exciting 52-49 offensive shoot-out on Saturday.  An overtime thriller in the HoD bowl last year with 38K in attendance and respectable TV ratings.  A budding rivalry that's getting a little on the chippy side with a ready-made narrative.  I don't buy it.  Why in the world wouldn't the Armed Forces people want an Army-UNT match up which could possibly be a sell-out and a TV ratings bonanza. 

• Lovely Take 1

7 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

I would like this as a match up. It's not too far of a drive from Denton, it would possibly give Wilson a chance to get healthy because of how late in December the game is, and it is against a P5 school to let us know how we really match up outside of CUSA. Could be huge for recruiting if we can get the win. Would help us to make inroads into Louisiana like LaTech does in East Texas. Not that their is not significant talent in Texas, but when you can spread your brand to pull kids from other states, it helps. Plus Arkansas kids may make the short drive south to see the game.

I'm really happy how the season is going. I'd be sooooo happy and excited if we won this conference too. That said, I think this team has earned a better bowl than the NM bowl. I keep hearing NT being tossed around for that bowl. Armed Services, Independence, HOD, Frisco, New Orleans, would all be better for the team, university, fans, students, and recruiting.

1 hour ago, keith said:

Do you have some inside information or is this just your speculation?

Let's see, an exciting 52-49 offensive shoot-out on Saturday.  An overtime thriller in the HoD bowl last year with 38K in attendance and respectable TV ratings.  A budding rivalry that's getting a little on the chippy side with a ready-made narrative.  I don't buy it.  Why in the world wouldn't the Armed Forces people want an Army-UNT match up which could possibly be a sell-out and a TV ratings bonanza. 

I’ve talked directly with the Armed Forces people and they do not want another match up.. 

They wouldn’t want it because it’s another repeat match up.. we complained last year it was a rematch, we complained for this most recent game, and people have complained about the possibly of a rematch.. 

41 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

I’ve talked directly with the Armed Forces people and they do not want another match up.. 

They wouldn’t want it because it’s another repeat match up.. we complained last year it was a rematch, we complained for this most recent game, and people have complained about the possibly of a rematch.. 

That's pretty cool.  How did you get access to speak with them?

I get that most people on this board don't want a rematch with Army, but in the grand scheme of things what we want doesn't really amount to much.  It's interesting that the Armed Forces bowl wouldn't want a rematch either.  Did they explain their thinking on it or just dismiss the idea?   I guess it's a good thing they don't manage any of the playoff bowls  and be faced with the horror of another Alabama/Clemson rematch.

• Haha 1