Rice Game Question

BTG_Fan1

Just thought of this, and how the Rice game is somewhat meaningless to us...

Does SL roll with the backups? I would be play Quinn and all of the true-freshman as well (the ones that have already played and not burning anyones RS). Allow anyone and everyone that is banged up to rest up and recover. 

Hopefully the staff could then pitch to kids in the HOU area on the ability to come to UNT and get a solid amount of playing time.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

4 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Just thought of this, and how the Rice game is somewhat meaningless to us...

Does SL roll with the backups? I would be play Quinn and all of the true-freshman as well (the ones that have already played and not burning anyones RS). Allow anyone and everyone that is banged up to rest up and recover. 

Hopefully the staff could then pitch to kids in the HOU area on the ability to come to UNT and get a solid amount of playing time.

No.  But if there are players that need to rest, then rest them.  Otherwise you gotta keep the train going. 

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1

1 minute ago, Aquila_Viridis said:

Every win is meaningful. And I expect it would help get us to a better bowl somehow.

Probably not. The best bowl we can hope for is HOD, and we are already a shoo in. Independence Bowl hasn't sniffed us, and neither has the New Orleans Bowl. The New Mexico Bowl has interest in us but I don't think we do in them.

• Confused 3
  • Downvote 4

30 minutes ago, wardly said:

They probably were lost looking for I 20.Having said that, I would love to play in the Independence Bowl.

Independence Bowl reps were confirmed to  there around at least hour and a half before the game and I was told a few other bowl reps were floating around later. 

All wins are important as they go toward a final record that in one way or another are used to grade a team. Even if it history or recruits. Rice needs to be a victory. I also think if we beat Rice and FAU we might have some votes in the top 25 heading into a bowl game.  If we don't take Rice and dominate we won't. I figure votes in the top 25 have to help our coaches recruit. 

Half for Fine. Keep him fresh, get the ball out quick, heavy dose of Andrew Tucker since it's his last regular season game and probably his last chance for significant PT, and get a lot of guys in the game in the second half. But when Fine is in, make damn sure your best line is in and you're doing everything you can to keep him upright.

• Upvote 5

1 minute ago, risinggreen said:

The Rice game is FAR from meaningless. I want a chance at an 11-3 record and a slip in for a ranked spot for the first time since the 70's. Also, I doubt that it will happen, but I wouldn't cry if we played in FW against Army once again. I'd prefer something different, but the house would be close to packed.

If you want to be ranked, you will have to put up some VERY LOPSIDED Ws vs FAU and a solid bowl match up.... Going to go out and say we are MOST likely not going to be ranked... 11-3 would improve our starting ranking next year, but I personlay would rather see this team get healthy and play the young guys who have not played much... Rice should not be much of a match up and not worth the potential injury to someone that will be needed vs FAU, and in the Bowl game.

FAU from what I have seen, has not gotten any top 25 votes and they have been very impressive with who they have beaten, and how they have beaten them...

4 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Half for Fine. Keep him fresh, get the ball out quick, heavy dose of Andrew Tucker since it's his last regular season game and probably his last chance for significant PT, and get a lot of guys in the game in the second half. But when Fine is in, make damn sure your best line is in and you're doing everything you can to keep him upright.

Agreed... With Guyton, Wilson injures is it worth a chance at the CUSA championship and Bowl game? Honestly Rice is the least important of the 3 remaining games.

• Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

If you want to be ranked, you will have to put up some VERY LOPSIDED Ws vs FAU and a solid bowl match up.... Going to go out and say we are MOST likely not going to be ranked... 11-3 would improve our starting ranking next year, but I personlay would rather see this team get healthy and play the young guys who have not played much... Rice should not be much of a match up and not worth the potential injury to someone that will be needed vs FAU, and in the Bowl game.

FAU from what I have seen, has not gotten any top 25 votes and they have been very impressive with who they have beaten, and how they have beaten them...

Agreed... With Guyton, Wilson injures is it worth a chance at the CUSA championship and Bowl game? Honestly Rice is the least important of the 3 remaining games.

11-3 and we are either ranked or a top vote getter. Depends on our bowl opponent of course, but I would bet on our hitting 25th at 11-3 and a bowl win over someone with  "decent name recognition." Also, Rice is a big game in many ways, and they tend to play us tough. No one wants cripples out on the field, but we need to throw our healthy best out there. 

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, risinggreen said:

The Rice game is FAR from meaningless. I want a chance at an 11-3 record and a slip in for a ranked spot for the first time since the 70's. Also, I doubt that it will happen, but I wouldn't cry if we played in FW against Army once again. I'd prefer something different, but the house would be close to packed.

I swear you have posted this exact same thing before.

Edited by Travis