Nic Smith

UNTLifer

1 minute ago, Wag Tag said:

Really has the quicks!!! He was also picking up the blitz on the opposite side!! GMG 

Well, he was attempting to pick up the blitz on the oppo side. For all intent and purposes, he was technically picking it up, but man was he steamrolled 2 or 3 times in the process. I think he is a great athlete. I'm not much in favor or jitter bug running backs. I love Jeff Wilson's style of play. But I think Smith will be less jittery once he finds his rhythm and gets more experience. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

1 minute ago, Ben Gooding said:

Well, he was attempting to pick up the blitz on the oppo side. For all intent and purposes, he was technically picking it up, but man was he steamrolled 2 or 3 times in the process. I think he is a great athlete. I'm not much in favor or jitter bug running backs. I love Jeff Wilson's style of play. But I think Smith will be less jittery once he finds his rhythm and gets more experience. 

?? He gave up 50/60 pounds to the guy he was blocking sacrificed his body in the pick up to allow Mason time to throw the ball. 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

?? He gave up 50/60 pounds to the guy he was blocking sacrificed his body in the pick up to allow Mason time to throw the ball. 

No doubt. I'm not denying that. He definitely did. I would just like to see him either go low or learn to not absorb the entirety of those blows. Some of these were pretty gnarly. I commend him for his efforts and the job he did. 

14 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

hope he does not develop Jimmerson feet.

Not quite as bad as that, but at times similar. I think he thinks he can out athlete or outrun entire teams. Just not the case at this level. On some runs he doesn't do it at all, and will cut to put his head down and get what he can get. Others, he's dancing and sometimes in the hole. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

3 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

No doubt. I'm not denying that. He definitely did. I would just like to see him either go low or learn to not absorb the entirety of those blows. Some of these were pretty gnarly. I commend him for his efforts and the job he did. 

Not quite as bad as that, but at times similar. I think he thinks he can out athlete or outrun entire teams. Just not the case at this level. On some runs he doesn't do it at all, and will cut to put his head down and get what he can get. Others, he's dancing and sometimes in the hole. 

Only problem with backs cutting, they whiff QB gets killed... and Smith may leave as one of the top backs we've ever had.

Just now, GMG24 said:

Only problem with backs cutting, they whiff QB gets killed... and Smith may leave as one of the top backs we've ever had.

True, but these Army dudes really aren't the premium athletes and when these edge LB's were coming around the edge they were coming around the edge to bull into something, not finesse jump over it. Just looking out for his well being here. 

And I hope he ends up being THE best we have ever seen. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

Smith looked good.  Man, he gets to hole fast and that is very important to a line that isn't going to knock the DL back.  The hole won't be open too long, so a back like Smith is going to make a huge difference.

Edited by GOMG2013
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, ChristopherRyanWilkes said:

What's always amazed me about this team is our ability to pretty elite college running backs, even in our worst years. 

The worst starting running back we've had in the last 20 years was Cam Montgomery.

• Lovely Take 1