ESPN's Football Power Index

Anthro1999

ESPN's Heather Dinich on Thursday wrote "The top four teams in the College Football Playoff rankings are all playing in Week 12, but the spotlight will be on No. 5 Wisconsin, which hosts No. 24 Michigan...The Badgers have remained outside the top four despite their unbeaten record, due in large part to a strength of schedule that ESPN's Football Power Index ranks No. 67, lowest of any ranked Power 5 team."  

The Mean Green sit at # 86 in the ranking.  Question becomes how can we improve our strength of schedule and crack the Top 25?    

• Downvote 1

28 minutes ago, LongJim said:

Win football games consistently.

Keep building UNTs brand.

Keep increasing media exposure so people know who you are.

Agreed. I had a lady tell me the other day that she had never heard of North Texas until her job moved her to Denton from another state. She actually thought it was a small school and when I told her it was the 4th largest school in the state, she was genuinely shocked. She told me she had heard of Texas, Texas A&M, Baylor, TCU, Texas Tech, etc but never North Texas. Unfortunately even though ESPN knows we exist, they still consider us a bottom dweller so they won't rank us highly until we start to do the three things LongJim says we need to do and other people start to talk about us and know who we are.

Edited by Venson
Grammar Correction

I think we have to have a one loss/ undefeated season before we crack the top 25 unfortunately. Marshall gets in the top 25 every few years because their reputation of long winning football and they have a great season. I feel like this yr even if we beat Iowa and smu with the loss to FAU they'd call us pretenders 

47 minutes ago, Anthro1999 said:

Question becomes how can we improve our strength of schedule and crack the Top 25?    

Well, scheduling Liberty was certainly a step in the right direction.  [written sarcastically for the more literal among you]

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

On 11/18/2017 at 8:29 AM, LongJim said:

The "UNT, established 1890" is one of the better branding efforts, IMO.  It speaks to tradition and legitimacy.  Public perception.  It says: "We've always been here.  Where have you been?"

Great line to close out the post and never thought of that! Would be a great thing to put on a shirt in 2/3 years when we hopefully are continuing these results.

On 11/18/2017 at 8:32 AM, chrisfisher said:

Win. Teams from the AAC routinely get ranked without a really tough schedule. Had we beat SMU and Iowa we'd be ranked right now. Win. 

It sure would have helped yea, but FAU loss by 38 really hurt any chance unless we can go down and do it back to them and in a bowl game..

3 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

It sure would have helped yea, but FAU loss by 38 really hurt any chance unless we can go down and do it back to them and in a bowl game..

We have to be disruptive at the LOS. Stunting LB's, twisting DL, exotic blitzes, etc. Our D will have to come to play in this game. If we can cut their yardage output from the 1st game say by 40%, we'll have a shot. IOW, if we JUST allow 500 yards of offense, we'll be in this game. I was shaking my head typing that last sentence. It just sounds ridiculous. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

1 minute ago, Ben Gooding said:

We have to be disruptive at the LOS. Stunting LB's, twisting DL, exotic blitzes, etc. Our D will have to come to play in this game. If we can cut their yardage output from the 1st game say by 40%, we'll have a shot. IOW, if we JUST allow 500 yards of offense, we'll be in this game. I was shaking my head typing that last sentence. It just sounds ridiculous. 

I’m with you, and it’s sad that 500 should be considered “acceptable”.. if Reff allows another FAU game, leave him in FL and have him buy his own plane ticket home.. 

• Upvote 1

On 11/18/2017 at 8:29 AM, LongJim said:

The "UNT, established 1890" is one of the better branding efforts, IMO.  It speaks to tradition and legitimacy.  Public perception.  It says: "We've always been here.  Where have you been?"

I liked how the stadium announcer was saying, “THE University of North Texas” yesterday!

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

1 hour ago, Big E said:

I liked how the stadium announcer was saying, “THE University of North Texas” yesterday!

Interesting note. I recently had a resume review with the career center (free if you’re alumni). The counselor made a note about adding THE when referencing UNT and was very insistent about it. So it’s not just athletics but professional/academics that are using it.

Think about it. We are THE university of this region, hence THE University of North Texas. With the alumni base and academic reputation we hold, I personally like it and will continue using it.

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 2

I think THE is important.  Jerry and ESPN have done the marketing for us on this.  They have officially named this entire region North Texas.  I thought that back then when teams were fighting to get to North Texas for the Final Four, National Championship, Superbowl.  These are coattails I totally encourage riding. 

GMG

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Big E said:

34 minutes ago, brooks91 said:

Interesting note. I recently had a resume review with the career center (free if you’re alumni). The counselor made a note about adding THE when referencing UNT and was very insistent about it. So it’s not just athletics but professional/academics that are using it.

Think about it. We are THE university of this region, hence THE University of North Texas. With the alumni base and academic reputation we hold, I personally like it and will continue using it.

We LOST this battle years ago when we changed the name to UNT.  The "powers that be" didn't allow us to use "The" in our name.  Not a big deal to me.  I don't get hung up on articles, although there is "a" state university in Ohio that does give me a beat down with whole thing.

44 minutes ago, brooks91 said:

Good.  Wish more folks/alumni would do the same.  Never understood the "poor little NT" attitude from students/grads.

UNT is the largest, and arguably most comprehensive public U in this region.  They are the baddest boy on the block, and need to have that attitude.

Some will say "arrogance".  It's not arrogance, it's just the way it is.  No shame in blowing your own horn every chance you get.  For sure nobody else is going to do it. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Big E said:

no...its stupid..."the" is not in our schools name and it' just a pathetic take on Ohio state's thing....our school is NORTH TEXAS...dont need or want "the"

been announcing it since the odu game

Edited by THOR
  • Thanks 2

43 minutes ago, THOR said:

no...its stupid..."the" is not in our schools name and it' just a pathetic take on Ohio state's thing....our school is NORTH TEXAS...dont need or want "the"

been announcing it since the odu game

There is a new culture and attitude forming around our university. Look where we were 2 years ago. Most of our upper classmen this year were on a 1-11 team. #NewDenton is all about changing a stagnant culture around the region, student athletes, recruits and our fan base; guess what...it’s working!

Think about it this way, would you rather play for, commit to or be a fan of “a University in North Texas” or “THE UNIVERSITY OF NORTH TEXAS.” 

Agree that it’s a bold statement, but our school needs to make a bold statement! Out with the status qoue and excuses from the past decade+ and in with THE New Denton and THE University of North Texas.

This is in now way meant to disrespect any of the great history of Denton or the great student athletes of the past. It’s simply progressive and taking things to the next level.

#GMG #NewDenton #THEUniversityOfNorthTexas

• Upvote 1