Mason with time

BigWillie

I was watching the highlights from the UTEP game and they obviously got no pressure on Fine and that is why he could throw it all over the field, but I did notice one thing. On almost every touchdown or big play GH has Fine rolling out. Even on that big play to Rico. Maybe it has been this way all season and I just haven't noticed it. 

Anyone else notice this?

• Lovely Take 1

31 minutes ago, BigWillie said:

I was watching the highlights from the UTEP game and they obviously got no pressure on Fine and that is why he could throw it all over the field, but I did notice one thing. On almost every touchdown or big play GH has Fine rolling out. Even on that big play to Rico. Maybe it has been this way all season and I just haven't noticed it. 

Anyone else notice this?

The UTSA pass, he stayed in the pocket and delivered. He might be moving out of the pocket to get a better view down field. Our O-Linemen are all taller than him, so this helps him see. He also will pull in some linebackers to protect the scramble and open up some single coverage that he can exploit. 

• Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, greeneagle1 said:

The UTSA pass, he stayed in the pocket and delivered. He might be moving out of the pocket to get a better view down field. Our O-Linemen are all taller than him, so this helps him see. He also will pull in some linebackers to protect the scramble and open up some single coverage that he can exploit. 

Yeah, I think this is a big part of getting some shorter throws more YAC. It freezes those LBs enough to open up that soft spot in the zone.

• Lovely Take 1

11 hours ago, BigWillie said:

Anyone else notice this?

I definitely noticed a few plays where it was definitely a sprint/roll out to the left.  It was obvious from the way the line was blocking that he was intending to do this.  I remember one of these, UTEP had it well covered and MF chunked it way out of bounds.

23 hours ago, greeneagle1 said:

On the final drive against UTSA, they were blitzing to the offensive's right side and had the other side defensive end / linebacker dropping off into coverage.  It seems to me they were afraid of Fine rolling to his right (since he's a right handed QB), extending the play, and getting someone open deep.  It looked to me that if Fine was to roll to extend the play they wanted to force him to his left and eventually box him in.  That part of the play worked well but Fine is good throwing to either side and he had enough time to turn his body and set his feet to get make the throw to Lawrence.  

• Upvote 2

Nice insight NT95. 

Michael Lawrence is a spark when the offense needs it, is dependable and precise and has great chemistry with Fine. And from all accounts, a great teammate and good guy. Been watching him closely since meeting his family on the way to the ARMY game last year. I hear a bunch of Sweetwater folks are showing up for this weekend's game.

GMG

• Lovely Take 1

3 minutes ago, untcampbell said:

Nice insight NT95. 

Michael Lawrence is a spark when the offense needs it, is dependable and precise and has great chemistry with Fine. And from all accounts, a great teammate and good guy. Been watching him closely since meeting his family on the way to the ARMY game last year. I hear a bunch of Sweetwater folks are showing up for this weekend's game.

GMG

Grilled rattlesnake at the tailgate?

There are a lot of good kids, ala Michael Lawrence, out here in west Texas that get overlooked.  They might not be the fastest or most athletic, but they are typically very dependable, work hard and just play.  I mean, if memory serves me correctly, wasn't Lawrence a PWO?

Back on topic, it appears to me that Fine prefers to rollout and throw moving to his left which is odd for a right handed QB.  If you look back through the highlights this year, he has made a number of really good throws moving to his left.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

We all looking at an All Conference Qb! I never, ever thought I would be able to say that with UNT!!! GMG 

Here are some numbers that were posted on the CUSA board:

Mike White (WKU) 2986 yards, 65% completion, 17 Tds/ 7 INts
Mason Fine (UNT) 2804 yards, 64%, 22 Tds/ 9 Ints, 92 yards rushing/ 1 TD
J'Mar Smith (LT) 2454 yds, 57%, 11 Tds/ 4 Ints, 289 yards rushing/ 2 TDs
Chase Litton (Mar) 2356 yds, 60%, 18 TDs/ 10 INTs
Alex McGough (FIU) 2051, 64%, 11 TDs/ 7 INTs, 122 yds rushing/ 4 TDs
Dalton Sturm (UTSA) 1830 yds, 62%, 15 TDs/ 3 INTs, 499 yds rushing/ 2 TDs
AJ Erdely (UAB) 1741 yds, 61%, 13 TDs/ 3 INTs, 290 yds rushing/ 12 TDs

Winning the West probably puts Mason above Mike White.  If you count Erdely's rushing touchdowns then he has a strong case. I think Mason has a very strong case for fist team All CUSA.

Next year if Brent Stockstill at MTSU returns healthy then there's will be a strong challenger.  

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, NorthTexan95 said:

Here are some numbers that were posted on the CUSA board:

Mike White (WKU) 2986 yards, 65% completion, 17 Tds/ 7 INts
Mason Fine (UNT) 2804 yards, 64%, 22 Tds/ 9 Ints, 92 yards rushing/ 1 TD
J'Mar Smith (LT) 2454 yds, 57%, 11 Tds/ 4 Ints, 289 yards rushing/ 2 TDs
Chase Litton (Mar) 2356 yds, 60%, 18 TDs/ 10 INTs
Alex McGough (FIU) 2051, 64%, 11 TDs/ 7 INTs, 122 yds rushing/ 4 TDs
Dalton Sturm (UTSA) 1830 yds, 62%, 15 TDs/ 3 INTs, 499 yds rushing/ 2 TDs
AJ Erdely (UAB) 1741 yds, 61%, 13 TDs/ 3 INTs, 290 yds rushing/ 12 TDs

Winning the West probably puts Mason above Mike White.  If you count Erdely's rushing touchdowns then he has a strong case. I think Mason has a very strong case for fist team All CUSA.

Next year if Brent Stockstill at MTSU returns healthy then there's will be a strong challenger.  

Mason is already well above Mike White in terms of overall offense alone. When the WKY dude can't run... yeah.

http://www.cfbstats.com/2017/leader/24312/player/split01/category10/sort01.html

Wow! -151 yards rushing? You would have to get sacked a lot for that! I assume sacks count for negative rushing yards.

You guys have some good insight on the play calling here with MF too. I think the rolling out does overcome some of the shortcomings of our OL. 

Once those guys get a little better, we will be more of a force!!

• Upvote 1

Some of us on GMG.com last year got labeled as heritics with our excitement of having #6 on our team.  Some of us even followed his HS career.  MFine is taller than Doug Flutie & last I remember DF had a pretty remarkable career at. Boston College.  Some tall QB's play short--some short QB's play tall. 🤔

Tomorrow night #6, #3 & the Triplets are going to give us one helluva' show inside fabulous Apogee Stadium.  (Mark that in 3 inch headlines). 😳

GMG!

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1