Are the weekday games worth it?

emmitt01

What the MAC did was take the ESPN revenue as a known stream of income and ran with it to have ALL of their conference games during the week. They felt it was better than hoping that attendance on a Saturday would make up for that lost stream of known income. 

I think it was short-sighted, but unless you want to be on Bein or Facebook or Twitter for your conference coverage, to be a lower G5 and still have ESPN coverage, this is what you have to do.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I don't have time not to hunt down any of the articles, but the Mountain West Conference schools have become totally fed up with mid-week games. They felt holidays like Labor Day and Thanksgiving could have games other than Sunday, but otherwise they plan to not agree to anymore of them. Wish I knew where the articles were, but they thought the lower crowds led to less alumni interaction and could lead to less alumni attachment (not sure the word they used) to the schools. That, they felt, would lead to less donations. Them determined ticket sales, booster club donations and other school donations dwarfed the potential TV money. The "exposure" wasn't worth the other losses. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

28 minutes ago, VideoEagle said:

Them determined ticket sales, booster club donations and other school donations dwarfed the potential TV money. The "exposure" wasn't worth the other losses. 

CUSA turned down the ESPN offer because it was virtually the same money we got from BEIN and would have made us move games all over the week like the MAC.

So, for B12 type TV money would it be worth it?  Sure.  For an extra $80k a team?  Not even close.  

Early Saturday games just screams college football to me. I remember growing up watching all kinds of games early Saturday afternoon . I don’t understand why we don’t have more early afternoon games?  I think we’d have more student turnout because it still gives them their Saturday nights to do all the stupid shit they want to do....

• Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

22 hours ago, VideoEagle said:

I don't have time not to hunt down any of the articles, but the Mountain West Conference schools have become totally fed up with mid-week games. They felt holidays like Labor Day and Thanksgiving could have games other than Sunday, but otherwise they plan to not agree to anymore of them. Wish I knew where the articles were, but they thought the lower crowds led to less alumni interaction and could lead to less alumni attachment (not sure the word they used) to the schools. That, they felt, would lead to less donations. Them determined ticket sales, booster club donations and other school donations dwarfed the potential TV money. The "exposure" wasn't worth the other losses. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2017/11/14/mountain-west-weighs-tv-money-versus-controlling-game-times/107671558/

If the MWC hadn't crapped on every other member's tv revenues to get Boise back, maybe they wouldn't mind mid-week games quite so much.

Also, don't miss this gem from Wyoming's AD:  "I don't want to say Boise's brand is different ... Boise still has a brand that's different"

Edited by BeatNavy

49 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

I just want to know who got the wild burr last night and went on the downvote rampage on this thread last night and why.  

That's amusing as all get out. Like somebody out there is all "DAMMIT!  I WORK WEEKENDS AND WEDNESDAY-THURSDAY IS MY WEEKEND!" 

Happened on the basket forum as well.