Don't Want To Spill The Beans, But Look Here

EagleMBA

On 11/16/2017 at 6:31 PM, UNTLifer said:

Honest question.  What makes one person more of an expert at jumping out of a plane than someone else?  I mean, you jump out of a plane.  After that it is just falling.

Well, if you are talking static line jumpers vs HALO, then one difference is when you are static line you don't open your chute on your own unless your main fails and then you have to open your reserve. It opens as you come out of the aircraft and you are usually jumping from roughly 1200 feet. HALO guys are opening their own chute and are jumping at a much higher altitude. I mean HALO stands for High Altitude Low Opening. That's just a few things. I am sure others can add more.

• Upvote 1

One question I have is when would they make the call about scrubbing the mission? It looks like the wind will blow like hell in the early afternoon, then moderate around gametime. The forecast I saw said 18 mph winds straight out of the North at 5:00 (down from 21 mph at 4:00), and continuing down to 15 mph by 6:00. But forecasts are like a-holes, every weatherman has one. :)

Where is the safety cutoff?

Edited by EagleMBA

5 minutes ago, EagleMBA said:

One question I have is when would they make the call about scrubbing the mission? It looks like the wind will blow like hell in the early afternoon, then moderate around gametime. The forecast I saw said 18 mph winds straight out of the North.

Where is the safety cutoff?

I am not sure when their cutoff is. Obviously it is not a combat operation so they won't take the risk if it's too high. If it calms before game time, they may make the call last minute. I think they will scrub by 5 PM if the wind is too high at the latest. So hopefully we will have a better idea on wind by that time.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Venson said:

I am not sure when their cutoff is. Obviously it is not a combat operation so they won't take the risk if it's too high. If it calms before game time, they may make the call last minute. I think they will scrub by 5 PM if the wind is too high at the latest. So hopefully we will have a better idea on wind by that time.

Thanks for the input. That 18 mph forecast was for 5:00 p.m. BTW (I should edit). Then shows dropping to 15 mph. Safety first!

On ‎11‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 6:31 PM, UNTLifer said:

Honest question.  What makes one person more of an expert at jumping out of a plane than someone else?  I mean, you jump out of a plane.  After that it is just falling.

Funny.  I have made many jumps...started with five static line jumps and then went freefall.  Let me tell you, there are definitely better jumpers than others.  It took me several jumps before I got my body position anywhere near correct for decent free falls and it took even longer for me to feel comfortable doing stars and other formations.  I was definitely NOT one of the better formation jumpers within our group.  In fact, I pretty much just stayed out of the way!  Ha! I enjoyed jumping to a spot better as it was just me trying it hit a spot on the ground as close as I could.  It is definitely not just jump out and then fall.  Ha!  Well, in my case for several jumps it was pretty much jump out roll over a few times and then straighten out and "fly right".  Took a bit, but once you get it...you get it! Lots of fun and much safer than many think.  Just don't forget to pull that rip cord.  I still have the rip cord from my first free fall jump!  These Army Black Knights are fantastic at what they do.  They are definitely the experts.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Downvote 1

52 minutes ago, @UNTSportsFan said:

@KRAM1 @Venson is there a certain wind mph that they will absolutely not jump at ? Or is it more of a feel by those whom  are on board / jumping ?  Just curious & thank you both for your service 🇺🇸 

There is, but I do not know what it is. I tried calling the Army Recruiting Station in Denton to see if they had any updates on whether it is still a go or not. They did not answer. I know when I recruited and we had the Golden Knights, we would get info on if the jump was still on or not. That would allow us to let the necessary people know. I do know for a fact that Denton's recruiting station is involved because one of my Soldiers that I had while I was on active duty is in Dallas Recruiting Battalion and he told me they were. I just got off the phone with him. He is not Denton Recruiting Station, but he knows that they are involved because they gave them equipment to use at the game yesterday.

1 hour ago, KRAM1 said:

Funny.  I have made many jumps...started with five static line jumps and then went freefall.  Let me tell you, there are definitely better jumpers than others.  It took me several jumps before I got my body position anywhere near correct for decent free falls and it took even longer for me to feel comfortable doing stars and other formations.  I was definitely NOT one of the better formation jumpers within our group.  In fact, I pretty much just stayed out of the way!  Ha! I enjoyed jumping to a spot better as it was just me trying it hit a spot on the ground as close as I could.  It is definitely not just jump out and then fall.  Ha!  Well, in my case for several jumps it was pretty much jump out roll over a few times and then straighten out and "fly right".  Took a bit, but once you get it...you get it! Lots of fun and much safer than many think.  Just don't forget to pull that rip cord.  I still have the rip cord from my first free fall jump!  These Army Black Knights are fantastic at what they do.  They are definitely the experts.

Exactly. I was never HALO, but they certainly do more than just fall. Actually we all do more than just fall. If you don't land right, you will then find out the difference. Haha. I have seen my share of folks who just fell and didn't land right. Not a pretty sight.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Venson said:

There is, but I do not know what it is. I tried calling the Army Recruiting Station in Denton to see if they had any updates on whether it is still a go or not. They did not answer. I know when I recruited and we had the Golden Knights, we would get info on if the jump was still on or not. That would allow us to let the necessary people know. I do know for a fact that Denton's recruiting station is involved because one of my Soldiers that I had while I was on active duty is in Dallas Recruiting Battalion and he told me they were. I just got off the phone with him. He is not Denton Recruiting Station, but he knows that they are involved because they gave them equipment to use at the game yesterday.

Exactly. I was never HALO, but they certainly do more than just fall. Actually we all do more than just fall. If you don't land right, you will then find out the difference. Haha. I have seen my share of folks who just fell and didn't land right. Not a pretty sight.

Denton recruiting station is by gate 4.. if anyone wants to go find out

• Upvote 1