North Texas athletics experiencing unprecedented success in Year 2 under Wren Baker

Skipper

1 hour ago, Venson said:

I talk to a guy who works in fundraising at UNT once a week and he personally told me that the donors love the President. That's why they don't want him to leave, but he is going to retire soon. 

I agree that without Smatresk and the administration giving their full support Bakers' job is much, much more difficult. They're giving Baker the tools he needs and he's doing good work with it.

But talk about burying the lead ... SMATRESK IS GOING TO RETIRE SOON ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!   How soon is soon?   When he does retire I'd say let him pick his own replacement but hopefully that's not for a long time from now. 

5 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Was RV removed from having a say in SL after he fumbled the Lincoln Riley possibly??

How did RV "fumble" Lincoln Riley?  I never thought Riley was remotely interested in our job.  Was it that RV just threw his name out there to the press without actually talking with him? 

9 hours ago, Venson said:

I beg to differ. All the articles written about the situation says that RV went after SL.

RV was pulling hard for Meechum out of TCU. SL was Smatresk’s guy all the way through.

@UNT 90 Grad and I were both chatting with Smatresk at the Alumni Pavilion before our last home game that year and during the final stages of the hiring. I was super stoked about the prospect of Meechum, but all Prez could talk about was SL and his interest in the ACC championship that year. His knowledge went deep on it all as well.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, KingDL1 said:

RV might have still been there but he had absolutely nothing to do with Litrell's hiring.

Sorry King, but you're wrong here.    I was certainly ready for RV to go, but I'm so glad he stuck his neck out on this one.   Quite possibly a huge contributor to his firing.   
I know the narrative around here was: "RV liked Meacham & NS overruled".  That's just simply not true.

24 minutes ago, NorthTexan95 said:

How did RV "fumble" Lincoln Riley?  I never thought Riley was remotely interested in our job.  Was it that RV just threw his name out there to the press without actually talking with him? 

One of our former lettermen who coaches H.S. out in far West Texas is friends with Riley.  He came on here telling us Lincoln reached out to RV/Dodge about the Offensive Coordinator position that was open here when he was let go at Tech after Leach was canned.    No one called him back (despite calling a masterful game for Tech during their Bowl Game), and instead, Dodge hired Chico & his gigantic playbook, while Riley went to East Carolina with Ruffin McNeil.

45 minutes ago, Christopher Walker said:

RV was pulling hard for Meechum out of TCU. SL was Smatresk’s guy all the way through.

37 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

Thank you.

Rick

See what I mean?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

Chris's post is accurate and MGT is incorrect in this case. For a bit more background info, it is surprising the quality of applicants who will apply for our jobs - especially if the process is kept private via a good headhunter firm. For both the AD job and this job there was a deep pool of talent to pick from - despite anything said otherwise. I know some on the board have criticized the use of these firms but the results speak for themselves.

Early on candidates were zeroed in on: Cumbie, SF, SL, LR - these were the targets preferred by the firm, Prez and select boosters very early on.

Most remember - but despite underperformance there was quite a bit of politics going on relating to our Athletic program. No need to rehash it all. That is why the selection team was such a small group, to make sure that a good decision was made this time around.

Cumbie was getting feelers from UT and did not want his name in the hat. Our old guard had a few other ideas including DM and T Franklin, but these were never well supported.

LR got leaked and yanked his name from consideration.  Leaking was pretty prevalent prior to WB. This really PO'd our top admin and removed any doubt that this hiring would not be a one man process. At this point I don't think there was any belief that Stoops would be retiring.  I'm not sure we had the resources to land him, but there was at least a small chance.

There was not interest in KB with the clouds forming over that program.

That left SF and SL. SL was a top target for the reasons that we are all familiar and it didn't hurt that he had close ties to a prominent supporter of the school.

SF was also a top choice of the group. He was getting several looks and UCF jumped on him with a 1.7m+ per year deal.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 2

24 minutes ago, xyresic said:

Chris's post is accurate and MGT is incorrect in this case. For a bit more background info, it is surprising the quality of applicants who will apply for our jobs - especially if the process is kept private via a good headhunter firm. For both the AD job and this job there was a deep pool of talent to pick from - despite anything said otherwise. I know some on the board have criticized the use of these firms but the results speak for themselves.

Early on candidates were zeroed in on: Cumbie, SF, SL, LR - these were the targets preferred by the firm, Prez and select boosters very early on.

Most remember - but despite underperformance there was quite a bit of politics going on relating to our Athletic program. No need to rehash it all. That is why the selection team was such a small group, to make sure that a good decision was made this time around.

Cumbie was getting feelers from UT and did not want his name in the hat. Our old guard had a few other ideas including DM and T Franklin, but these were never well supported.

LR got leaked and yanked his name from consideration.  Leaking was pretty prevalent prior to WB. This really PO'd our top admin and removed any doubt that this hiring would not be a one man process. At this point I don't think there was any belief that Stoops would be retiring.  I'm not sure we had the resources to land him, but there was at least a small chance.

There was not interest in KB with the clouds forming over that program.

That left SF and SL. SL was a top target for the reasons that we are all familiar and it didn't hurt that he had close ties to a prominent supporter of the school.

SF was also a top choice of the group. He was getting several looks and UCF jumped on him with a 1.7m+ per year deal.

I'll trust my source.
The hullabaloo between SF being hired on 12/1 & SL being hired on 12/5 regarding Smatty wanting SL & RV wanting DM, both sides digging in & Smatty stepping in to overrule is not true.   And DM was certainly not ruled out early on as you're indicating.

The leaking of LR was very unfortunate, you're correct, since the mutual interest was there.

I bought into all of that as well early on, because it just made so much sense.  RV makes bone-headed decisions around coaching hires in football/basketball... unfortunately for him that will make up a huge part of his legacy. 
But RV's decision was a shocker.   And he made sure to shoehorn that SL was his guy into SL's introductory press conference.  I know I rolled my eyes at that part (because of all the above being thrown around), but I've since been educated.

Again, it was time for RV to go, but he deserves kudos when they're due. 
But, as they say, history is told by the victors... and RV is no longer here.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

I won't belabor this much more.  Your facts are largely correct, but you have missed the behind-the-scene nuances. SL was zeroed in on very early on. The number of people making the decision or with insight into the process was not as large as you think.

The primary reason the previous Ath Dept even knew that he existed was due to the family I mentioned and the search firm. This would not be the first time in history people put out information to make people arrive at a decision they thought was theirs, when in reality it was not. It is an intelligent way to do business and in this case I think it worked well. I hinted at this in previous posts where due to large conflicts the coach had to be hired before the new AD.

So yes NS & BR did not "overrule" anyone they basically lined the power players up in favor of SL and then magically the Ath Dept ultimately arrived at the same decision. There was certainly no sticking out of necks or ultimate sacrifice involved.

As for you thinking you have the best sources

Well, that's just, like, your opinion, man : )

Appreciate your support of the University. I just want to pass on what happened now that some time has passed, no desire to start an argument or tarnish anyone from the past.

GMG

• Upvote 3

I don't have inside info so I'll just have to go with common sense. 

You don't have to be a fortune teller to see that RV was on his way out before the HC decision was made. He was gone. 

Why would you let a "dead man walkin" have serious input on hiring the most important employee in the athletic department. It doesn't make sense. To turn a large part of that decision over to RV would mean you expect him to be here too which NS did not. So then it stands to reason you wouldn't want his input on the hire. 

RV may think he had something to do with it but he didn't. SL was not his hire. Why would it be? To put it another way....do you think our president would make a decision like that? Does he seem like the type that would just let RV make the decision and then "oh thanks for bringing in SL....now you're fired" I would be surprised and disappointed in the him in that instance. And if you believe SL was RV's hire than you essentially think NS did just that. 

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Venson said:

I agree. That's why I say Smatresk is the real hero here. Don't get me wrong, WB is doing great things, but I think the initial success that is being made is because of the President. I talk to a guy who works in fundraising at UNT once a week and he personally told me that the donors love the President. That's why they don't want him to leave, but he is going to retire soon. He made the WB hire and gave him the title of Vice President and AD so we will be okay. We just need to get another President that believes in athletics like NS does when he does call it quits.

No idea if you know, or if anyone knows...

But how many ADs are also VPs? I would think its a limited amount and likely should or would allow for WB to weld more power than just normal ADs... 

5 hours ago, NorthTexan95 said:

As stated in the other posts on here.. LR (Lincoln Rley) had some interest in the UNT in the past, and he was in the start of his 1st season (I believe) at OU as OC after jumped from (ECU, I believe). Long story short, LR was a hot name at the time because OU was performing well just a few games into his tender, and we were wanting to move to the Air-Raid offense. He was a Texas coach, and a young guy making him appealing. Somehow it got out that UNT had interest in LR or that we had talked to him and he pulled his name out or just flat out turned down UNT after it got out..

No idea what all actually happened because that was before my time on here. I do recall it seemed like it was down to SL or DM.. Cumbie was rumored to be going to UT to be the OC, but he was the fence with Strong being on the hotseat... Cumbie ended up getting a CO-OC job at TCU with DM going from OC to CO-OC and staying at TCU. 

2 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I'll trust my source.

Whose your source? 

21 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

I don't have inside info so I'll just have to go with common sense. 

You don't have to be a fortune teller to see that RV was on his way out before the HC decision was made. He was gone. 

Why would you let a "dead man walkin" have serious input on hiring the most important employee in the athletic department. It doesn't make sense. To turn a large part of that decision over to RV would mean you expect him to be here too which NS did not. So then it stands to reason you wouldn't want his input on the hire. 

RV may think he had something to do with it but he didn't. SL was not his hire. Why would it be? To put it another way....do you think our president would make a decision like that? Does he seem like the type that would just let RV make the decision and then "oh thanks for bringing in SL....now you're fired" I would be surprised and disappointed in the him in that instance. And if you believe SL was RV's hire than you essentially think NS did just that. 

If RV was a "dead man walking" then why did they allow him to stick around for another 6/7 months? 

Cumbie and DM were already Co-OC's before this all happened. Cumbie was the OC for Tech in 13 and then he was hired by TCU as Co-OC and QB Coach in 14. Meachum was WR and Co-OC and did not leave TCU until he became the OC at Kansas in 2017. When UT was tiring kicking and ultimately ended up with Gilbert TCU was rumored to have made Cumbie either the top paid OC in the country (or close to it).

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Venson said:

I beg to differ. All the articles written about the situation says that RV went after SL. I know RV wasn't a great AD, but everything he did was not bad. He did a couple of good things and pursuing SL was one of them. Did he do some bad? Yes. Firing Dickey, hiring Dodge, hiring Benford, hiring McCarney, who was just trying to pad his retirement, to name a few. The good, getting Apogee, hiring Jalie Mitchell, and hiring SL.

You honestly think Apogee was RV's doing?  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, xyresic said:

Cumbie and DM were already Co-OC's before this all happened. Cumbie was the OC for Tech in 13 and then he was hired by TCU as Co-OC and QB Coach in 14. Meachum was WR and Co-OC and did not leave TCU until he became the OC at Kansas in 2017. When UT was tiring kicking and ultimately ended up with Gilbert TCU was rumored to have made Cumbie either the top paid OC in the country (or close to it).

ahh okay... may bad and thanks for that.. about the history of Cumbie and that.

9 hours ago, NorthTexan95 said:

I agree that without Smatresk and the administration giving their full support Bakers' job is much, much more difficult. They're giving Baker the tools he needs and he's doing good work with it.

But talk about burying the lead ... SMATRESK IS GOING TO RETIRE SOON ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!   How soon is soon?   When he does retire I'd say let him pick his own replacement but hopefully that's not for a long time from now. 

Soon is within the next 24 months. He said within the next 12, but with the way things are going, I think the donors can get him to change his mind. That's why I say within 24 months. At the end of the day, Smatresk is 66 years old. I am sure he wants to enjoy life without the headaches of work. When you have worked to that age, you deserve to retire and enjoy yourself.

I am not saying RV was great, but not every single thing he did was bad. That's like saying everything Jimmy Carter did as President was bad. As much as he sucked as President, for those old enough to remember, not everything he did was bad. Did he need to go? Yes. But again he didn't do everything bad. Just most things. LOL. I am also saying that crowning WB king is too early because in my opinion he is largely riding the coat tails of NS right now. Will he be great? Only time will tell, but he's looking good so far.

• Downvote 1