The next 2 years- Setting up the future

TheColonyEagle

22 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

I know....one game at at time, things change quickly...but I've been thinking a lot about the trajectory of our program and the potential (good gosh that word again) that we have in the next few years. And just when I think we've squandered every window to take advantage of the changing landscape of college football and our natural, almost one and only infrastructure (speaking of our numbers of alumni/students and our location), low and behold another opportunity presents itself.

I saw a comment about our recruiting and how scary this team could be when we really start bringing in top recruiting classes. Combine that with the buzz surrounding Seth Littrell and the program in general and I think we're close to where we've wanted this program to be since Hayden Fry first thought many years ago: "hey, maybe UNT should be in the SWC."

The next 2 years are setting up nicely to really position our program for the future. First, look at the schedule. We have a down Arkansas next year and SMU at home. We could begin to get on the national radar... top 25 votes next year are not out of the question.

Then look at the 2019 Season - Mason Fine's senior year....our non conference right now is: Abilene Christian, @ SMU and Houston at Apogee. I don't know who we'll add as a 4th team yet.....but that schedule shapes up really nice as well. Double digit wins the next 2 years are not out of the question.

All this takes a little bit of luck too.....but if we get just a little, I think we'll be seen as a top G5 team in the nation in 2019....see UCF this  year, Western Michigan last year, Houston before that....that very well could be us in 2 years. I would not be one bit surprised to be in the top 25 in 2019 and being mentioned as one of the possibilities for the New Years 6 Bowl. THEN I think Seth Littrell will have his pick of big programs. Not a Kansas or Illinois type but a top half Big 12 or Pac 12 type program. If he stays through Mason Fine's senior year, he will be the PJ Fleck/Tom Herman from last year....the Scott Frost of this year. Then this program with it's numbers of alumni, students, location....will have coaches lined up to come here and keep this train going. THEN this sleeping giant we've been talking about for so long will be out of its slumber.....Think about a coach looking at Denton, TX who maybe just won 28-30 games the past 3 years, has top recruiting classes, a brand new indoor practice facility, updated Athletic Center/weight room, other new buildings under construction....We will have our pick of coaches if/when Littrell leaves for a bigger program. Seeing the plans we have the next few years plus how our schedule lines up.....We can now make sure we are in position when things shift again in the coming years. I know...where have we heard this before. But this time it feels different. Before yes, we've had new facilities but go get drubbed 65-0 by Texas or OU or (enter #1 team here). We don't have those teams on the schedule the next 2 years. We've had a new coach but same ol' same ol' from the AD. We've had some wins but don't have the attendance. It just feels like it's all FINALLY maybe coming together at the same time. Wins, facilities, support, attendance....there is a different feel this time and it comes from timing and our new leadership.

The next 2 years are so critical to the future of our program....we've missed so many windows in the past when the college football landscape has changed...we cannot miss this one and I think we have the right people in Neil Smatresk and Wren Baker to lead us into the future. 

It's our turn.

Does all this seem ridiculous? Well if it does, that's #OLDDENTON thinking....We have to get rid of that. (I'm guilty of it too)

#NEWDENTON

In the past we made excuses, lowered expectations, and thought of little ole NT as anything but a  potential powerhouse. 

We can and I hope we will become the next power house in Texas college sports! Make It Happen!

Just now, Prettylittleeagle said:

provided SL and WB stay around. Without them, I'm a scared man. 

The question we have to ask about WB is if a big program would hire him away for what "might" happen here. They will generally wait until it "has" happened. i.e. the facilities actually get built, the attendance actually grows, revenues actually grow, and we win consistently for several years. 

Sure, I want WB and SL to win championships, get us to the next level, retire here and SL becomes our Bowden or Patterson....but that's a long shot. So if I don't get that....I just need them to establish what they've started so we can build on it in the future. They have the opportunity to do that the next 2-3 years.

3 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

I'll admit that I'm hopeful, but I ain't gonna' get UTSA fan cocky about it. 

I don't think anyone here is cocky about it.

Having this conversation after you've been through the ups and downs of life as a G5 for several decades as you've seen your program grow and struggle and win and lose and make good hires, bad hires, etc is hopeful.

Having this conversation after you've been a program for a day and a half is not only cocky but stupid.

1 minute ago, TheColonyEagle said:

I don't think anyone here is cocky about it.

Having this conversation after you've been through the ups and downs of life as a G5 for several decades as you've seen your program grow and struggle and win and lose and make good hires, bad hires, etc is hopeful.

Having this conversation after you've been a program for a day and a half is not only cocky but stupid.

Oh, I had no intention of conveying that anybody here was being cocky.  Sorry if it came across that way. 

It is the roller coaster ride that we have been on for decades that has really hurt the program...I'd be satisfied with a decade of being 'competitive' and winning some big games along the way in all sports.  Falling back into the 2-10 seasons just will put us right back where we were.  Hopefully, the administation and future administrations will recognize the importance of paying for the best and expecting the best.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, drex said:

It is the roller coaster ride that we have been on for decades that has really hurt the program...I'd be satisfied with a decade of being 'competitive' and winning some big games along the way in all sports.  Falling back into the 2-10 seasons just will put us right back where we were.  Hopefully, the administation and future administrations will recognize the importance of paying for the best and expecting the best.

Agree...

(and more utterly ridiculous lagniappe)

This video below became our new school song after that vaunted 1981 season with Bob Tyler as our '1" year HFC; as you'd recall, we had 4 games in the Cotton Bowl (2 during the State Fair)  & a few at venerable Fouts Field when I believe we even played Southern Miss in "the rain storm of the century."  LIke George Derr was telling a few of us huddled up at the HOD Bowl pre-game gathering last December: "Heck, guys, there was a time at our games when all our fans were on a first name basis!"  :)

Yes, drex ol' pal, this became many of the faithful few's new school song albeit me'thinks Happy Times are here, but on a higher scale than any of us from any era have seen.  I suppose many of us never lost complete hope?   (We need decades of winning & playing some teams that will help us become a Top 25 fixture).

Addendum:  Great post, TheColonyEagle!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen