DRC (updated): Regents to receive early glimpse of facilities mater plan

Brett Vito

If we're going to build an arena I'd like us to be forward thinking for sure.  I'm not saying it should or needs to be 10K but I wouldn't want something smaller than about 8k.  We need to ensure that the arena is multi purpose for virtually anything including ice hockey.  Hockey is growing the south.  All schools around here and around the state have club teams and it's only a matter of time that more and more schools here will develop interest and make the move to NCAA D1 ice hockey.  Arizona State started couple of years ago, Alabama Huntsville has one and Nebraska Omaha has a program.  I read a year or two ago that University of Alabama isn't far away from really taking that legitimate step.

I've always felt a D1 ice hockey program would be so awesome and great for the school and the hockey market here.  It can be pricey however this is where we can develop partnership with the Stars to jump start funding and interest.  Not only could we have an ice hockey program but that arena could also host various hockey tournaments as well from a local and national level.  The younger people are gravitating towards sports like soccer, ice hockey etc...I feel that's an opportunity.

If that wasn't a direction WB would go they could always partner with the Stars and build a DP Stars Center in Denton with the idea that they would have a rink that could seat about 3-5K people and our team could play their games there.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Green Mean said:

If we're going to build an arena I'd like us to be forward thinking for sure.  I'm not saying it should or needs to be 10K but I wouldn't want something smaller than about 8k.  We need to ensure that the arena is multi purpose for virtually anything including ice hockey.  Hockey is growing the south.  All schools around here and around the state have club teams and it's only a matter of time that more and more schools here will develop interest and make the move to NCAA D1 ice hockey.  Arizona State started couple of years ago, Alabama Huntsville has one and Nebraska Omaha has a program.  I read a year or two ago that University of Alabama isn't far away from really taking that legitimate step.

I've always felt a D1 ice hockey program would be so awesome and great for the school and the hockey market here.  It can be pricey however this is where we can develop partnership with the Stars to jump start funding and interest.  Not only could we have an ice hockey program but that arena could also host various hockey tournaments as well from a local and national level.  The younger people are gravitating towards sports like soccer, ice hockey etc...I feel that's an opportunity.

If that wasn't a direction WB would go they could always partner with the Stars and build a DP Stars Center in Denton with the idea that they would have a rink that could seat about 3-5K people and our team could play their games there.

You are aware that UNT has a club team right? 

UNT could very easily just have the team use and skate at the Stars Facility in Frisco, with UNT already having a campus in Frisco as well.

People are not calling for Hockey as much as they are calling for baseball. I'm a huge hockey fan, but building a facility is not likely when UNT would likely much rather rent/lease the ice and pair up with DP-Frisco and the Stars. 

Edited by BTG_Fan1

7 minutes ago, GreenN'walinsVet said:

That would be a very substantial and costly endeaver.

The good (?) news is that neither is close to being started.    I think The Wren™ is doing the right thing by focusing on improving attendance, giving, and concentrating on our existing sports.  

I love baseball.  I would love to donate to sit in the premium seating at a new Mean Green baseball stadium.  However, given our current level of revenue, I don't think starting up new sports is the best use of money.  

18 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

The good (?) news is that neither is close to being started.    I think The Wren™ is doing the right thing by focusing on improving attendance, giving, and concentrating on our existing sports.  

I love baseball.  I would love to donate to sit in the premium seating at a new Mean Green baseball stadium.  However, given our current level of revenue, I don't think starting up new sports is the best use of money.  

Right there with you.

1 hour ago, Cerebus said:

Right there with you.

1 hour ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

You are aware that UNT has a club team right? 

UNT could very easily just have the team use and skate at the Stars Facility in Frisco, with UNT already having a campus in Frisco as well.

People are not calling for Hockey as much as they are calling for baseball. I'm a huge hockey fan, but building a facility is not likely when UNT would likely much rather rent/lease the ice and pair up with DP-Frisco and the Stars. 

Yep I mentioned they along with most schools around here had club teams.  If there was some partnership with the Stars, a Stars Center could be built in Denton and they wouldn't have to go to Frisco.  I've heard that a center in Denton is in the works again but not sure how close they are to it.  Absolutely UNT can rent ice time but the intentions should be based on forward thinking.  Building a multi purpose arena that can also be configured and setup for hockey would be essential.  It would be silly not to go that route IMO.  If you're going to spend time, energy and millions of dollar then do it right is all I'm saying.

I obviously know it's a wish list and something that would happen way in the future if at all after Baseball but I really don't think it's out of the realm of possibility to think that we along with other major schools in the state get into D1 NCAA hockey.

One high up alum told me today that moving the UNT students further "walking distance" away from an on-campus varsity BB arena is simply not going to happen for quite awhile if ever.   Hell, Wren B. & Staff are trying to finish raising almost $20 million for a state of the art IPF.

WB has given us some short term success.  We need to cross our fingers that we get almost a decades worth of success in this thing many of you are calling NewDenton before we start canonizing anyone over at the North Texas athletic dept. 

Our program before WB and SL arrived  is a culmination of who we've been hiring for the last 40 years which as much as this & other older messengers hate to say has had few long term success stories at a true NCAA D1 competitive level.   We have had a good start (make that "great start") with WB and SL. Just need to hope their progress does not get interrupted by other schools flashing their deep pockets check books.  If that happens, we just need to keep hiring clones of both instead waving the white flag like we've done so many other times before in the last 40 plus years as we would also......take 3 giant steps backswards.  Think Forward--Then Act Forward (beginning with Varsity Baseball)?

Aloha.

BEAT ARMY!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

On 11/16/2017 at 12:36 PM, Ben Gooding said:

We need an intimate coliseum style arena. Make it no more than 5-6K. When we seldom and sporadically get good crowds of 4-5K, it will be intimate, loud, and look great on television. When we have our usual 2K-ish in attendance (hopefully that number shows a steady increase), it will look at least be respectable and still be loud, and infuse some energy into our home team. When a noteworthy team comes to town, it will make for an actual hot ticket in North Texas athletics, something that is unforeseen around these parts. 

EX: Think a very nice high school arena, but with baseline seats. By keeping it simple like this, it creates a very fun and entertaining atmosphere, but also allows the administration extra play money to jazz the place up with perfect lighting, graphics, etc. etc.   

SMU should be the model! I know, I know I said the 3 letter word!

Edited by Wag Tag
  • Upvote 1