UNT Athletic Facilities Master Plan Information for BOR Meeting 11.16.17

Harry

The leaked blueprints for Mean Green Stadium (now Apogee Stadium) included pre-wiring for a future ribbon board that would run along the front edge of the club level outdoor seating area.   I wonder if Wren has that in his bag of goodies for the near future.  That might help increase the energy level even more during the games. 

• Upvote 3

35 minutes ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

The leaked blueprints for Mean Green Stadium (now Apogee Stadium) included pre-wiring for a future ribbon board that would run along the front edge of the club level outdoor seating area.   I wonder if Wren has that in his bag of goodies for the near future.  That might help increase the energy level even more during the games. 

Just as an FYI: The ribbon in Apogee's current configuration would only be visible from the east stands.

• Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

7 hours ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

And the end zone seating...and the west side when walking up the steps.  :-)  the only folks that would never see it would be the club level folks and above. 

unless they put a ribbon in the club level and above! Or mirrors behind the students for the club to see it!

Edited by BTG_Fan1
  • Lovely Take 1

On 11/13/2017 at 6:51 PM, Harry said:

UNT Board of Regents meeting that’s coming up on Thursday and Friday of this week (11.16.17) has some information on the Athletic Facilities Master Plan starting on Page 184 (linked to PDF version below) which shows the map which has been enlarged here.  Thanks go out to a good friend of the site who was kind enough to share this info with us. GMG

https://www.untsystem.edu/sites/default/files/BoR-meetings/11.16-17.17_boardbook.pdf

image.png

42051048-d887-4fd5-98d8-50b40977bdb1.png

Yes, a baseball stadium. About time GMG!!!

• Lovely Take 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/13/2017 at 9:09 PM, Cerebus said:

Just remember that "Mid Term" means "We don't have the money for it yet."

The leadership, life skills, etiquete, and mentor program sounds like a very nice add.  Recruit parents will love it.  

Thought page 46 was interesting:

So basically, Baseball won't be happening any time soon.... :(

• Sad 1

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...
On 5/20/2019 at 4:01 PM, Daddy Dumpsalot said:

Any updates on baseball coming to UNT?

Baseball is coming!  There are a lot of alumni/donors that are sick and tired of waiting.  Organization of a group dedicated to bringing baseball back to UNT is currently being formed, and will grow grass roots involvement along with the necessary funds to make baseball an attractive option to the athletic department, president and Board of Regents.  

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Eye Roll 3

15 hours ago, Clinetort said:

Baseball is coming!  There are a lot of alumni/donors that are sick and tired of waiting.  Organization of a group dedicated to bringing baseball back to UNT is currently being formed, and will grow grass roots involvement along with the necessary funds to make baseball an attractive option to the athletic department, president and Board of Regents.  

I am a fan of bringing baseball back to North Texas and doing it the right way, but this group has a singular focus, bringing baseball back.  Do they stop to realize the impact it has on the entire department with the need to add female sports, the need to upgrade existing programs that were neglected for years, and that the AD is responsible to the entire department and not just one sport?  Even if they raise the money for facilities, staff and scholarships, will the AD move forward and be in a position to undertake additional programs, staff, facilities and scholarships for female sports to offset the additional scholarships for male athletes in baseball?

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 2

4 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

I am a fan of bringing baseball back to North Texas and doing it the right way, but this group has a singular focus, bringing baseball back.  Do they stop to realize the impact it has on the entire department with the need to add female sports, the need to upgrade existing programs that were neglected for years, and that the AD is responsible to the entire department and not just one sport?  Even if they raise the money for facilities, staff and scholarships, will the AD move forward and be in a position to undertake additional programs, staff, facilities and scholarships for female sports to offset the additional scholarships for male athletes in baseball?

The group that is forming are reasonable.  They know baseball will be back on campus immediately and that it will take time to cultivate donors and have the necessary resources to cure the problems of the past.  What they are not willing to do is remain stagnant.  For over thirty years people that have advocated for baseball have been told to be patient and someday baseball will return.  The days of waiting are over.  

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Downvote 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/21/2022 at 1:40 PM, UNTLifer said:

I believe DBU offsets this by making cheer and dance athletic teams.

I also think we should add men's and women's lacrosse teams. With Charlotte adding a women's program, there are enough teams in the AAC to have an automatic qualifier to the NCAA tournament.

Edited by Matt from A700
  • Upvote 1

• 7 months later...
On 11/14/2017 at 12:41 PM, PlummMeanGreen said:

I had met the snake charmer back in the day right before we moved to the Super Pit.  For the life of me, I cannot remember his name now, but one of my old Yuccas had a picture of him with that snake at the old Men's Gym.  

We were in a pretty decent Missouri Valley Conference basketball league at that time.   Part of that era's last team  before we moved to the Super Pit included players like Stan Blackman, Ken Bailey and Bobby Iverson.  Iverson was a great basketball talent we got snake bit by the Jehovah Witnesses as he wanted to join that religion's mission program  full time so he dropped out of North Texas.  Bobby Iverson could have easily been 1'st team Mo' Valley and to be 1'st team in that league was a pretty big deal. 

GMG!

I agree that Bobby Iverson was a tremendous talent but Bobby didn't want to join Jehovah's Witness; it was his mother who insisted.  In my opinion he was our greatest talent and would've topped our statistics had he been able to finish a career here.

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...