A college party was so massive it crashed straight through the apartment floor

Harry

1 hour ago, VideoEagle said:

In the late 70's we were regulars in Playboy's top party school list. Not that it was something to be proud of, of course. 

I'd kinda like to see that.  

I swear there are two things I've heard from every college campus I've ever visited:

1)  We were Playboy's #1 party school in 19XX

2)  Every weekend the city of XX drinks more than 2% of all beer sold in the entire nation. 

• Haha 3

50 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

I'd kinda like to see that.  

I swear there are two things I've heard from every college campus I've ever visited:

1)  We were Playboy's #1 party school in 19XX

2)  Every weekend the city of XX drinks more than 2% of all beer sold in the entire nation. 

According to a bartender at Lucky Lou's, Denton County is the top county consumer of Jim Beam in America... Not sure if that's a good or bad thing 

4 hours ago, UNTFan23 said:

What if this wasn't a student living complex and just a regular apartment complex and there were a large number of people, let's say 50 post college adults (even though the reported number involved in the party was more), were throwing a massive party in a 3rd floor unit, and the floor collapses ... then what?

It would’ve been more up to code.

19 minutes ago, Ryan Munthe said:

It would’ve been more up to code.

There's no way the City of Denton (or any municipality for that matter) would have allowed any kind of occupancy to take place if the building wasn't up to current building codes (at the time the inspection takes place). What failed in the apartment building was the floor joists which more than likely was caused by excessive weight (people) and force (people jumping) being applied to the joists. There is a maximum distance between the joists that is allowed in code. Builders can choose to put in more joists to decrease the distance between joists but at some point cost become an issue.

Edited by UNTFan23
edited for clarification
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

This is a difficult comparison, but unlike the collapse of the World Teade Center, the collapse went to the unit below and stopped there.  The energy, the fall, was slowed and absorbed by the floor below.  I've wondered why something similar didn't happen at the WTC.

Again, a difficult comparison.

6 hours ago, Cerebus said:

I don't think any apartment code is going to cover "50 people in one room jumping in rhythm."  

It's an apartment, not a parking garage.  

Actually, a parking garage couldn't support this either. The weight distribution in any one space is engineered to support the contact points of a vehicle, and nothing more. One of a few reasons cops get antsy around large groups of people in parking structures.

It's one of the contributing factors to the extreme costs and debt service on parking structures as their frame cannot be restructured into anything else supposedly. Or this is how it was relayed when we taking part in the Campus' 2013 Master Plan.

5 hours ago, meangreenlax said:

According to a bartender at Lucky Lou's, Denton County is the top county consumer of Jim Beam in America... Not sure if that's a good or bad thing 

This is true.

1 hour ago, greenjoe said:

This is a difficult comparison, but unlike the collapse of the World Teade Center, the collapse went to the unit below and stopped there.  The energy, the fall, was slowed and absorbed by the floor below.  I've wondered why something similar didn't happen at the WTC.

Again, a difficult comparison.

This was a shitty apartment complex.

I don't think there was any cause for a conglomerate of billionaire corporate leaders, shadow government operatives and former grand masters of both the Klan and Yale's Skull & Bones society to set in motion the most elaborate of false flag operations, complete with planes filled with corpses to fly into empty buildings set for demolition at The Ridge apartments in Denton. 

• Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 3

7 hours ago, UNTFan23 said:

There's no way the City of Denton (or any municipality for that matter) would have allowed any kind of occupancy to take place if the building wasn't up to current building codes (at the time the inspection takes place). What failed in the apartment building was the floor joists which more than likely was caused by excessive weight (people) and force (people jumping) being applied to the joists. There is a maximum distance between the joists that is allowed in code. Builders can choose to put in more joists to decrease the distance between joists but at some point cost become an issue.

As long as the structure was up to building standards, and was signed off by a licensed architect, and the city's chief building officer, there's not too much to blame the apartment complex for. Other than not enforcing its own rules about max occupancy. Multifamily structures just aren't built to withstand that much pressure per sq ft. 

2 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

Gotta go with the Denton double to start your crawl on Fry

I'll be damned if the Denton Double isn't the best bang for your buck in any American college town

6 hours ago, oldguystudent said:

I've tried verifying this because this is one I can actually believe, but haven't found it yet. 

Ask John the next time you see him about being brought up their distillery and leaving with a barrel of their choice as a token of the Jim Beam team’s gratitude.