IF......

MeanGreen_MBA

4 hours ago, greeneagle1 said:

I think we get votes this weekend if we beat Army. 

LOL no way.... We would have to beat Army the way FAU beat us down, and hold them under 14 points if we want any hope at a UNT Top 25 vote... 

SMU pounded us and so did FAU, and we have won a bunch of 1 score non-ranked/low ranked schools... USM is our best W so far this year in terms of respectable team and winning by multiple scores... 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 6

1 hour ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

LOL no way.... We would have to beat Army the way FAU beat us down, and hold them under 14 points if we want any hope at a UNT Top 25 vote... 

SMU pounded us and so did FAU, and we have won a bunch of 1 score non-ranked/low ranked schools... USM is our best W so far this year in terms of respectable team and winning by multiple scores... 

If Army can get votes by not beating a team with a winning record, then I dont see how we cant get votes for beating a team with top 25 votes and we would have the same record as them with a better strength of schedule. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, greeneagle1 said:

If Army can get votes by not beating a team with a winning record, then I dont see how we cant get votes for beating a team with top 25 votes and we would have the same record as them with a better strength of schedule. 

They also beat a P5 team, 2 AAC schools, 2 MAC schools, and a MW team.. All conferences rated on par or above CUSA, on top of them beating 2 CUSA programs... 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

5 hours ago, Rudy said:

And what conference is SDSU in?

The conference that almost all UNT fans want nothing to do with....even though it’s champion often ends up ranked...even though Utah and TCU used it to move up to P5 Leagues....even though Boise State still uses it to legitimize it’s place as one of the best G5’s in the country.

We like the SBCUSA and it’s ability to let us drive to some away games and have our stories ready to be included in the Sunday newspaper!! (Hint: newspapers are what used to be the main source of really informing people about stuff decades ago...)

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, untjim1995 said:

The conference that almost all UNT fans want nothing to do with....even though it’s champion often ends up ranked...even though Utah and TCU used it to move up to P5 Leagues....even though Boise State still uses it to legitimize it’s place as one of the best G5’s in the country.

We like the SBCUSA and it’s ability to let us drive to some away games and have our stories ready to be included in the Sunday newspaper!! (Hint: newspapers are what used to be the main source of really informing people about stuff decades ago...)

Yep. Ezzackly.

11 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

100% 

53 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

A bad team in the MW, AAC would likely do better than UNT.. look at the recruiting as you say, also look at the quality of LT vs UNT...

I mean,  I guess? I will say this, the bottom of our conference this year is dragging down the perception. Our 3 worst teams (UTEP, Rice, and Charlotte) are a combined 2-28. That is absolutely atrocious. Granted, 2 years ago we were contributing to this suck. 

13 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

Yeah, I like to actually see (or at least listen) when my team plays a road game instead of reading about it the morning after. I am a terrible fan.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

I know...how awesome would it be to watch us play Fresno State or Boise State or UNLV in football or hoops instead of F_Us or Old Dominion.

I know that's what you were thinking, correct?

Depends on what you mean by watching. In person, yeah that would be great for them to come here. If you mean when we play at their place, not sure how much I will be able to watch with a 9pm start time. 

19 minutes ago, forevereagle said:

Depends on what you mean by watching. In person, yeah that would be great for them to come here. If you mean when we play at their place, not sure how much I will be able to watch with a 9pm start time. 

I guess 9:00pm is later, but I suspect that a game against a good SDSU team or Boise State might keep you interested.

Or maybe you like the idea of playing against Old Dominion or the F_Us at 6:00...if so, we have the perfect setup for you. 

3 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

I guess 9:00pm is later, but I suspect that a game against a good SDSU team or Boise State might keep you interested.

Or maybe you like the idea of playing against Old Dominion or the F_Us at 6:00...if so, we have the perfect setup for you. 

I have to sleep sometimes. I have a young child, so that start time doesn't do a lot for me. We also don't get a lot of coverage locally, so I am not a fan of making that worse by not making the 10pm news for away games, and we won't make Sunday either since that is Cowboys coverage. Sorry, but the West coast leagues don't get the same coverage or respect. I just don't think that increasing costs for a small prestige bump helps us. What good is the small amount prestige if no one ever sees us play?

On 11/13/2017 at 2:44 PM, BTG_Fan1 said:

For other programs that wouldn’t matter.  There is a negative bias when it comes to North Texas.  Anyway I would prefer us not to get votes until next season.  I don’t want P5 programs coming for Seth until next year.  In my dream scenario Seth sticks around to coach Cade for at least one year as the starter.  We get ranked Cade gets a little Heisman hype and we are then an attractive destination for almost all up and coming coaches.  Recruiting challenges for G5 level talent would be done for a while too. 

29 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

For other programs that wouldn’t matter.  There is a negative bias when it comes to North Texas.  Anyway I would prefer us not to get votes until next season.  I don’t want P5 programs coming for Seth until next year.  In my dream scenario Seth sticks around to coach Cade for at least one year as the starter.  We get ranked Cade gets a little Heisman hype and we are then an attractive destination for almost all up and coming coaches.  Recruiting challenges for G5 level talent would be done for a while too. 

Why would the national media/coaches have a negative bias towards UNT? Because we have normally have 2 or 3 winning season a decade? 

This team can and should be able to put up points in the future just because of Mason's development, and props to Mason and GH for that. Mason alone also makes this job VERY attractive to other "air-raid" coaches if SL leaves. This team needs to go out and dish out some punishment to teams and then they will get respect, just like we did after USM. 

1 minute ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Why would the national media/coaches have a negative bias towards UNT? Because we have normally have 2 or 3 winning season a decade? 

This team can and should be able to put up points in the future just because of Mason's development, and props to Mason and GH for that. Mason alone also makes this job VERY attractive to other "air-raid" coaches if SL leaves. This team needs to go out and dish out some punishment to teams and then they will get respect, just like we did after USM. 

I think is it a slightly unwarranted bias when compared to other teams with dismal historical records like ours.  UNT doesn’t get the attention locally we deserve when the team does well.  You barely see a mention of one of the only two FBS school in Texas that can win their conference this years.  And TCU is still not guaranteed a shot in the title game.  UNT could likely be the only team from Texas in action on  FBS championship weekend and right now we are an afterthought locally.  I would call that that unfair negative bias.

In case anyone didn't know this already ...

Current W/L record for all FBS football programs in the state of Texas:
1. TCU 8-2
2. North Texas 7-3
3. Houston 6-3
4. aTm 6-4
4. SMU 6-4
6. UTSA 5-4
7. Texas 5-5
7. Texas Tech 5-5
9. Texas State 2-8
10. Rice 1-9
10. Baylor 1-9
LOL. UTEP 0-10

6 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

I think is it a slightly unwarranted bias when compared to other teams with dismal historical records like ours.  UNT doesn’t get the attention locally we deserve when the team does well.  You barely see a mention of one of the only two FBS school in Texas that can win their conference this years.  And TCU is still not guaranteed a shot in the title game.  UNT could likely be the only team from Texas in action on  FBS championship weekend and right now we are an afterthought locally.  I would call that that unfair negative bias.

We don't get the coverage because we have lost for so many years. This is why after the USM, UTSA, etc we were tweeting at the local channels for more coverage than a quick 15-20 second clip of the game.. Multiple channels have reached out to SL for interviewed as well during the year. Another way to get coverage is to straight up beatdown programs, we can get single digit wins vs bigger programs than us like Iowa, SMU but not vs LT/UAB/ODU and think the local media will give us a bunch of air time.

Yes we maybe the only program in Texas to get to a championship game, but it would have been an even bigger media event if it was going to be held here in Denton. Fans should be tweeting, calling in, etc to the radio and TV guys after Rice for them to talk about UNT in the championship game. UNT has a huge alumni base, tweet at them you want UNT stuff and when enough people do, we will get that coverage. 

25 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

1. TCU 8-2
2. North Texas 7-3
3. Houston 6-3
4. aTm 6-4
4. SMU 6-4
6. UTSA 5-4
7. Texas 5-5
7. Texas Tech 5-5
9. Texas State 2-8
10. Rice 1-9
10. Baylor 1-9
LOL. UTEP 0-10

With those facts posted it we should have to beg for coverage.  UTSA got more coverage for beating that scandal ridden dumpster fire Baylor.  I have seen it for years.  Knocked off Texas Tech 1997 little coverage.  We should not have to beg for coverage from local media full of North Texas graduates.

52 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

1. TCU 8-2
2. North Texas 7-3
3. Houston 6-3
4. aTm 6-4
4. SMU 6-4
6. UTSA 5-4
7. Texas 5-5
7. Texas Tech 5-5
9. Texas State 2-8
10. Rice 1-9
10. Baylor 1-9
LOL. UTEP 0-10

I am dam sure glad we hired Seth over a guy like everett withers down at Texas St. 

• Upvote 1