Nebraska (11/13/17)

CMJ

12 minutes ago, drex said:

Big 10 house, Big 10 refs, Big 10 crowd...we should keep this thing in perspective.

Fouls determined this one. We had more field goals than them.

Sounds like Gibson our best defender maybbe down for the year. That’s frustrating.

Edited by Andrew
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

Maybe Lawson at the four isn't the best of ideas.

It's one thing if he could stretch the defense by making 3s, but since he doesn't it makes for a tough defensive matchup with little to no offensive payoff.

It'll be interesting to see how much four-guard lineup we use if we get Tikhonenko eligible this season.

Only listened, but it seems that NT didn't give up and got the usual home refereeing.  

Temara and Woolridge came through again plus Draper.   Going to have to get a lot more out of McCasland's recruits if this program is to turn around.  

The four guard offense is not going to work against a big physical team.   Fortunately, I don't think there are many teams like that in CUSA.  

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 1

Woolridge is a lot of fun to watch. Lots of energy on both sides of the ball. 

Liked the effort from Temara and Draper tonight--two guys I didn't think a lot about to start the season. 

Disappointing game from Roosevelt Smart. Really need him to produce this season if we are going with this guard-heavy line-up. 

2 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Wait, really? Did they say that on the radio? Couldn't tell how severe the injury was and didn't see a replay

Watched it on Big10. Bad injury. Came down on it awkward and his foot looked limp if I remember correctly. 

7 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Going to have to get a lot more out of McCasland's recruits if this program is to turn around.  

I thought the same thing at first, but I wouldn't give up on this group being able to do something special down the line. This was the first D1 road game for most of the players on the court. The last time we had a team this young was 2011-2012 and they lost early to UTA on the road by 33, and ended up making the Sun Belt championship game. A lot of room to improve.

4 minutes ago, Mean_Green09 said:

He was helped off and the broadcast described his ankle as just dangling there

Dang

4 minutes ago, ChristopherRyanWilkes said:

Watched it on Big10. Bad injury. Came down on it awkward and his foot looked limp if I remember correctly. 

Double dang. Gonna need Duffy to step up and Mike Miller to come in and give us some quality play off the bench as well. Extremely small consolation, but at least it is early enough in the year where he easily meets the < 30% games played criteria to get a medical redshirt

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, drex said:

Big 10 house, Big 10 refs, Big 10 crowd...we should keep this thing in perspective.

FWIW

Nebraska in their first game had 39 free throw opportunities vs. 18 for Eastern Illinois

They had 16 called  fouls vs. EIU's 28

Tonight we had 34 fouls and only 18 FT shots vs. NU having with 22 fouls and 45 shots.

Big Ten refs are  certainly consistant.

Also, like tonight EIU had more goals, 1 more three pointer and a higher shooting percentage of both.

Edited by MCMLXXX
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, BillySee58 said:

I thought the same thing at first, but I wouldn't give up on this group being able to do something special down the line. This was the first D1 road game for most of the players on the court. The last time we had a team this young was 2011-2012 and they lost early to UTA on the road by 33, and ended up making the Sun Belt championship game. A lot of room to improve.

Oh, I think there is talent there and we haven't seen two of the recruits at all.   I just didn't expect Temara and Draper to be leading the team.  

Hopefully Gibson's injury is not serious, and Miller recovers soon and the Russian gets eligible. 

I just want this team to get it together by conference.  

2 minutes ago, Mean_Green09 said:

Lawson is a rim attacking ball handler, but hasn’t been that explosive this year  

if Gibson is hurt they may move Lawson to the 3 and play Allante At the 4 and Smart at the 2  

Or maybe Simmons at the 5 and bump everyone else down. Lot of time to figure out what works best and who steps up the most between now and conference.

• Upvote 1

Watching the game, I didn't take too much away from this one. Definitely reinforced why I don't like early college basketball sometimes. Very sloppy basketball and a ton of fouls. We couldn't get any shots to fall in the beginning but hung with them after that. Nebraska took advantage of having the bigger, stronger team at the beginning but there were times we looked a lot faster than them. 

Still don't know much about this team from either of the first two games in my opinion. 

1 minute ago, GrandGreen said:

Oh, I think there is talent there and we haven't seen two of the recruits at all.   I just didn't expect Temara and Draper to be leading the team.  

Hopefully Gibson's injury is not serious, and Miller recovers soon and the Russian gets eligible. 

I just want this team to get it together by conference.  

Playing on the road in college basketball is tough. Our guys were bound to learn that the hard way at some point, but I was hoping that would be at Georgia Tech.

But yeah, a lot of basketball between now and conference and a lot of time to figure out what lineups work best and who we are going to be able to rely on.

• Upvote 1

As far as coaching style goes - McCasland definitely brings a lot of energy. He's very tough on the guys when they do stupid things. He seemed to keep guys out there a long time if they were showing energy and effort, regardless of "pedigree." Hence Temera and Draper both staying out there and getting some points. Didn't know anything about Draper but dude has a stroke. 

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

6 minutes ago, ChristopherRyanWilkes said:

As far as coaching style goes - McCasland definitely brings a lot of energy. He's very tough on the guys when they do stupid things. He seemed to keep guys out there a long time if they were showing energy and effort, regardless of "pedigree." Hence Temera and Draper both staying out there and getting some points. Didn't know anything about Draper but dude has a stroke. 

He had to keep Temara out there at times for size. Temara had a couple of miscues on rotations that led to easy buckets. 

• Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, Mean_Green09 said:

He had to keep Temara out there at times for size. Temara had a couple of miscues on rotations that led to easy buckets. 

Yeah but everyone did tonight in my opinion. Ton of turnovers and lots of guys looked out of position early. But yes, Temera was one of the few guys who could get a rebound. 

40 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Wait, really? Did they say that on the radio? Couldn't tell how severe the injury was and didn't see a replay

In the post game Grant said it didn’t look good and he didn’t want to comment anymore because they haven’t done x-rays. They tried to ask him again and he just said it’s pretty bad, but we won’t know the full extent until x-rays.

That is a huge blow because I have not seen someone hustle and play D like him in a really long time. Hopefully he gets a medical redshirt and it doesn’t stunt his potential. 

• Downvote 1

12 hours ago, ChristopherRyanWilkes said:

Woolridge is a lot of fun to watch. Lots of energy on both sides of the ball.  

From the games I watched last year, he played with a lot of explosiveness like a Russell Westbrook. I'm excited to see how much he improves the next three seasons.

Didn't he also tally a triple double last year, or come really close in one game?

On 11/13/2017 at 9:07 PM, drex said:

We also got a Big 10 Check, so keep that in perspective, too...

At the very least, Grant McCasland represents one huge signal of hope...he ain’t Tony Benford. Don’t miss the hockey lineup change that he was pioneering here in denton as a way to manage a roster during a game.

• Downvote 1