The Conference USA Championship Game

Coach Bill Lewis

Our best defensive lineman (English) if we can go by the Spring Game will still not play.

Our "D" is better since we last played FAU.   In my heart of hearts,  I think this game will be closer because all our younger players now have almost a year of D1 football under their belt & playing like it.

We've had some players step up on our Defensive line and linebacking crew since our last game with the Panthers (it is, Panthers, right)?  What the hell are 2 schools 1,000 miles apart & at the G5 level doing being in the same conference, anyway?  If TV revenue stays off the table, then 4 Texas CUSA schools need a new conference.  

FAU will not have the easy game they had earlier, either.  Law of averages? 

With our offense line doing better & our overall offense runnning full throttle with even more confidence, FAU may be in for the kind of game they willl not be expecting.   I mean come on now, this would not be the 1980 Russia/USA ice hockey miracle if we win the game.  It's FAU--not to be confused with Alabama.

GMG!

PS: How does Kiffin get done what he's done in so short of time?   Should the controversial "self edifying" HFC's recruiting practices be checked out?   You don't have a CUSA school in the Top 25 this soon, folks except for the fact that...FAU is in the Top 25.  (Think the Kiffer made a few strategic calls to those who vote)?   

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 1

5 hours ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

Our "D" is better since we last played FAU.   In my heart of hearts,  I think this game will be closer because all our younger players now have almost a year of D1 football under their belt. We've had some players step up on our Defensive line and linebacking crew since our last game with the Panthers (it is, Panthers, right)? 

One week after we beat LaTech 24-23, FAU beat them 48-23....

I read someone on this board post a few weeks ago that FAU is just a huge matchup problem for us.  I think we play them better if we get a second chance, but I am not optimistic it will be enough.

• Lovely Take 2

7 hours ago, Mike Jackson said:

I would feel much better if this was not in Boca.  Also I think the game should rotate between campuses/regions regardless of the teams playing in it.  It would make it easier to make travel plans for the game. 

I think the league would rather the championship game be played in front of a crowd. If it was at a neutral site there MIGHT be 5,000 people at the game. 

• Upvote 5

I personally don't have a good feeling about this one. We can put the points...even in our loss to FAU we put up 30+...The question is if we can stop their offense, and I am unfortunately skeptical after what I saw in that blow out loss.  The good news is that Reffet already knows FAU's offense and can make pre-game adjustments. We might consider having a deep safety for this game... we got burned over and over because of this factor (plus poor initial tackling). 

• Upvote 4

I hope we have some coaches on the staff spending half of their time right now game planning for FAU.  When we are prepared, we can do well.  

We for sure will not come out flat.  Its the CUSA championship game... if you cant get hyped for that, you dont deserve to win. 

If the team that beat Iowa for 3 quarters shows up.  We have a shot.  If not... it could be another long game. 

• Lovely Take 1

12 hours ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

Our best defensive lineman (English) if we can go by the Spring Game will still not play.

Our "D" is better since we last played FAU.   In my heart of hearts,  I think this game will be closer because all our younger players now have almost a year of D1 football under their belt & playing like it.

We've had some players step up on our Defensive line and linebacking crew since our last game with the Panthers (it is, Panthers, right)?  What the hell are 2 schools 1,000 miles apart & at the G5 level doing being in the same conference, anyway?  If TV revenue stays off the table, then 4 Texas CUSA schools need a new conference.  

FAU will not have the easy game they had earlier, either.  Law of averages? 

With our offense line doing better & our overall offense runnning full throttle with even more confidence, FAU may be in for the kind of game they willl not be expecting.   I mean come on now, this would not be the 1980 Russia/USA ice hockey miracle if we win the game.  It's FAU--not to be confused with Alabama.

GMG!

PS: How does Kiffin get done what he's done in so short of time?   Should the controversial "self edifying" HFC's recruiting practices be checked out?   You don't have a CUSA school in the Top 25 this soon, folks except for the fact that...FAU is in the Top 25.  (Think the Kiffer made a few strategic calls to those who vote)?   

Actually very few of Kiffin's recruits and JUCO transfers have contributed to the teams success outside of some special team contributions this season.  Charlie Partridge did a fantastic job recruiting.  Kiffin compliments Partridge at least once a week to the media about the players that he left behind and apparently Kiffin and Partridge talk each week.  Partridge was a great guy, great recruiter, local guy, but just couldn't pull it together on the field.  

I agree you probably have improved since our last meeting defensively, but so have we.  I am looking forward to the game hope a lot of you are planning on coming down.  Southwest Airlines have direct flights to Fort Lauderdale.  But we still have some business to take care of.  Hope to see you December 2.

• Lovely Take 1

29 minutes ago, FAU Connoisseur said:

I agree you probably have improved since our last meeting defensively, but so have we.  I am looking forward to the game hope a lot of you are planning on coming down.  Southwest Airlines have direct flights to Fort Lauderdale.  But we still have some business to take care of.  Hope to see you December 2.

There's a better airline that also has direct flights. To more airports in that area of FL.

36 minutes ago, ABrownGMG said:

I'll be cheering for FIU just as much as I'll be cheering for UNT this weekend. I think our chances of winning go up significantly if we host the game and I would say this weekend is the last realistic time that either of us loses a regular season game.

This means nothing anymore.  FIU lost this weekend.   The game is virtually etched in stone.
It would take a colossal melt-down by FAU to not be in the championship game undefeated in conference.   They're certainly not losing to Charlotte, so even if FIU beats them(also highly unlikely), they'll still be there with 1 loss.

The guys need to take care of business next weekend and VS Rice, then have a great week of practice 11/27 - 12/1 (practice squad needs to start preparing for an uptempo gameplan after the Army game so they can get the defense ready).  Then pin their ears back and let FAU have it.

1 hour ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

I think the league would rather the championship game be played in front of a crowd. If it was at a neutral site there MIGHT be 5,000 people at the game. 

I agree that having the game at a neutral site is a bad idea.  However, there may be only 5,000 at FAU considering they only had about that much for Homecoming. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

I hope there are that many at FIU. Played in Denton there are 25K Plus.

Regardless of North Texas in the game or not, the conference needs to have a factor for attendance.

1 hour ago, FAU Connoisseur said:

Actually very few of Kiffin's recruits and JUCO transfers have contributed to the teams success outside of some special team contributions this season.  Charlie Partridge did a fantastic job recruiting.  Kiffin compliments Partridge at least once a week to the media about the players that he left behind and apparently Kiffin and Partridge talk each week.  Partridge was a great guy, great recruiter, local guy, but just couldn't pull it together on the field.  

Booked my airfare to Ft Lauderdale this weekend. You’ll have to come back on here before the game and give us the low down on the pre-game/tailgate scene at FAU. Never been before, but obviously looking forward to it.

• Upvote 1

I'm glad we already played the regular season game and were served a big helping of humble pie.  I think it may end up working in our favor.  One thing for certain is we won't be going in there full of ourselves thinking we just have to show up.  Go Mean Green! 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, golfingomez said:

do we have any indication of gametime? what does history tell us?

I'm trying to look at flights to see if i could do a possible daytrip in and out for the game. 

Time hasn't been announced yet. Based on some other games that have times already I'd guess it will start between 11 am - 3:30 pm

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

This means nothing anymore.  FIU lost this weekend.   The game is virtually etched in stone.
It would take a colossal melt-down by FAU to not be in the championship game undefeated in conference.   They're certainly not losing to Charlotte, so even if FIU beats them(also highly unlikely), they'll still be there with 1 loss.

The guys need to take care of business next weekend and VS Rice, then have a great week of practice 11/27 - 12/1 (practice squad needs to start preparing for an uptempo gameplan after the Army game so they can get the defense ready).  Then pin their ears back and let FAU have it.

Does the opponent with the highest overall winning percentage or conference winning percentage host? If it's the first then an FIU win would knock FAU below us in winning percentage if we beat Army.

1 minute ago, ABrownGMG said:

Does the opponent with the highest overall winning percentage or conference winning percentage host? If it's the first then an FIU win would knock FAU below us in winning percentage if we beat Army.

Head-to-head always goes first my friend.  Unfortunately, we "played" FAU earlier this year.

1 hour ago, Green Lantern said:

Booked my airfare to Ft Lauderdale this weekend. You’ll have to come back on here before the game and give us the low down on the pre-game/tailgate scene at FAU. Never been before, but obviously looking forward to it.

Will do...I am in the Red Lot.  You can join us.

59 minutes ago, keith said:

I'm glad we already played the regular season game and were served a big helping of humble pie.  I think it may end up working in our favor.  One thing for certain is we won't be going in there full of ourselves thinking we just have to show up.  Go Mean Green! 

I don't disagree with that, but looking at your points against you give up a ton (we had something to do with that).  We give up yards but take it away.  Our offense is a beast.  I have never scene anything like Motor at FAU, he is amazing.g