Bowl Projections 11/12/2017

unt_rocket09

4 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

The MWC, especially, wants to get back in Texas, but they know that by waiting this out, they can get ties to the state again, with this pool of teams as potential choices (Tech, TCU, Baylor, Rice, UTSA, UTEP, and us). Lets say that Tech doesn't get left out in the G5 cold, leaving the others to consider, but then add in Iowa State and Kansas State as probable leftovers, you can see quickly where this is going. The MWC will get stronger than they already are by adding in 2-4 more teams to their conferences to get to 14 or 16 teams. My guess is that they will go for KSU, TCU, Baylor, and UH to move over. If they cannot get UH, they will go for UTSA because of the TV market, bowl tie-in, and SA being a destination city. For CUSA, either of those scenarios involve losing either Rice to replace UH in the AAC or replacing UTSA, with ULL replacing Rice and Texas State replacing UTSA.

First, everything I read is the remnants of the Airport group plus Nevada and UNLV want nothing to do with Texas or the Central time zone again. They made special allowances - no (that became few) late starts - to get TCU to join them originally and have said they will never do that again. 

I really think it more likely the Big XII left behinds - likely everyone except UT, OU and Kansas - point out the Big XII brand is better than either the AAC or the MWC. They could easily cherry pick from both the AAC and the MWC to get to 12, 14 or perhaps even 16. They would be the best of the G-Whatever by FAR! 

5 minutes ago, VideoEagle said:

First, everything I read is the remnants of the Airport group plus Nevada and UNLV want nothing to do with Texas or the Central time zone again. They made special allowances - no (that became few) late starts - to get TCU to join them originally and have said they will never do that again. 

I really think it more likely the Big XII left behinds - likely everyone except UT, OU and Kansas - point out the Big XII brand is better than either the AAC or the MWC. They could easily cherry pick from both the AAC and the MWC to get to 12, 14 or perhaps even 16. They would be the best of the G-Whatever by FAR! 

Yes, absolutely.   
This should be an end-goal of Wren's.  Sustain success across the Olympic sports, continue upward trajectory of football & drastically improve M/W-BB for the next 4 years.   This would put us in a fantastic position to join up with this new group including TCU, Baylor, KSSt & IASt, & possibly TXTech.

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, TheColonyEagle said:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2017/11/14/bowl-projections-oklahoma-ohio-state-back-in-college-football-playoff-field/857894001/

This has us in the Heart of Dallas Bowl vs KState

Would be what....60K-70K there for that game?

That would be a great match up for our program

This would be the best of all. 

KSU vs UNT. 

60,000 in the Cotton Bowl Stadium.

GMG!

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Yes, absolutely.   
This should be an end-goal of Wren's.  Sustain success across the Olympic sports, continue upward trajectory of football & drastically improve M/W-BB for the next 4 years.   This would put us in a fantastic position to join up with this new group including TCU, Baylor, KSSt & IASt, & possibly TXTech.

I think the Big XII COULD survive if they can get TCU, Baylor, Iowa State, and maybe Kansas State, WVU and/ or Texas Tech to stay together and then pull UH, BYU, Memphis, Tulane, SMU,  and Cincy to join them. That, I could see happening. The interesting angle here would be us moving up to the AAC to replace SMU, Rice moving up to replace UH, Southern Miss to replace Tulane, MUTS to replace Memphis, and maybe Ohio or NIU to replace Cincy...

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

I think the Big XII COULD survive if they can get TCU, Baylor, Iowa State, and maybe Kansas State, WVU and/ or Texas Tech to stay together and then pull UH, BYU, Memphis, Tulane, SMU,  and Cincy to join them. That, I could see happening. The interesting angle here would be us moving up to the AAC to replace SMU, Rice moving up to replace UH, Southern Miss to replace Tulane, MUTS to replace Memphis, and maybe Ohio or NIU to replace Cincy...

We have 4 years to erase years & years of apathy and obtain buy-in at or greater than SMU's in order to leapfrog them & get into this mythical Big12.  That begins with the win at Apogee next Fall.

23 minutes ago, gangrene said:

That would outdraw the KSU HOD projection by about 10,000 more fans to the tune of about, uh, 70,000?  

I know, pretty big numbers for the day after Christmas, but easily the curiosity of this game would have UNT bringing about 40,000 Mean Green fans to the Red Raiders 30,000?  

It would be a fun day of Big Time college football I would hope one year we could translate & project it all back to Apogee Stadium.   Would be nice to get more P5's into Apogee as promised before it was completed. (I know, easier said than done, but we only have to look toward the AlamoDome to see that it really can be done).

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

3 hours ago, gangrene said:

Red Raiders must beat either TCU at home or Texas on the road to become bowl eligible.

Howdy, UNT fans.

I'm projecting the Heart of Dallas Bowl to become available due to both the Big 12 and Big Ten being unable to fulfill their obligation to place a bowl-eligible team in the bowl. I believe that CUSA will get one of the available spots and that the MAC has a good chance (at the moment, subject to change) to get the other.

As of 11/12, I'm forecasting a potential NIU vs UNT matchup.

7 hours ago, AustinFromUNT said:

I read over on the CUSA Board a fan’s projection that seemed pretty believable. Plus, he went to Rice, so he is one of the sharper tools in the shed. He has us playing against Louisville in the Frisco bowl. How would you feel about that matchup?

Hell no... Lamar Jackson would have a field day vs us, and prices would be through the roof!

7 minutes ago, NorthCoast said:

Howdy, UNT fans.

I'm projecting the Heart of Dallas Bowl to become available due to both the Big 12 and Big Ten being unable to fulfill their obligation to place a bowl-eligible team in the bowl. I believe that CUSA will get one of the available spots and that the MAC has a good chance (at the moment, subject to change) to get the other.

You got me pulling for TTU to beat UT and for K-State to be bowl eligible so this does not happen. Give me Texas Tech PLEASE!

Edited by greeneagle1

7 minutes ago, NorthCoast said:

Howdy, UNT fans.

No idea how Northern Illinois is this year, but would like to play Western Michigan since they were in a big bowl last year. 

1 minute ago, greeneagle1 said:

You got me pulling for TTU to beat UT and K-State to be bowl eligible so this does not happen. Give me Texas Tech PLEASE!

An old buddy and fellow UNT alum told me today K-State would bring more fans than Tech.  I don't know about that.  Not sure Tech gets bowl eligible with who they play their next games with.

GMG!

Just now, PlummMeanGreen said:

An old buddy and fellow UNT alum told me today K-State would bring more fans than Tech.  I don't know about that.  Not sure Tech gets bowl eligible with who they play their next games with.

GMG!

I am more rooting for them. Feel like their best chance is against Texas. K-State has ISU and OSU left. Both will be hard. I definitely do not want to play a MAC school. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, greeneagle1 said:

You got me pulling for TTU to beat UT and for K-State to be bowl eligible so this does not happen. Give me Texas Tech PLEASE!

If TTU were to get Bowl eligible, they would very likely end up in the HoD. However, at that point, the chances for CUSA to get the nod diminish. There will be several available at-large PAC-12 teams and that's probably where the HoD goes since it would be able to offer a Big 12 opponent.

• Lovely Take 1

1 minute ago, NorthCoast said:

If TTU were to get Bowl eligible, they would very likely end up in the HoD. However, at that point, the chances for CUSA to get the nod diminish. There will be several available at-large PAC-12 teams and that's probably where the HoD goes since it would be able to offer a Big 12 opponent.

I've seen some projections where CUSA gives up their Armed Forces bid to the PAC-12 to play Army. UNT brings a lot of fans to the cotton bowl the two times we have played there. Definitely see that as a selling point to go along with a division championship and potentially 9-10 wins. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

No idea how NIU is this year, but would like to play Western Michigan since they were in a big bowl last year. 

Not very familiar with MAC football, I see.

NIU is a perennial Top non-Cartel program and is solid this year with a Top Defense, especially against the run. Western Michigan is back to its mediocre mean after its one fluke season last year.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, NorthCoast said:

NIU is a perennial Top non-Cartel program and is solid this year with a Top Defense, especially against the run. Western Michigan is back to its mediocre mean after its one fluke season last year.

Congratulations on your team's year.

GMG!

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, NorthCoast said:

Therein lies the problem. A lot of people aren't familiar with MAC Football

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, NorthCoast said:

Sweet then even better, give me Western Michigan over NIU... better odds of beating them and selling recruits on beating a team that played in the Cotton Bowl/New Years bowl the year before...

1 minute ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Sweet then even better, give me Western Michigan over NIU... better odds of beating them and selling recruits on beating a team that played in the Cotton Bowl/New Years bowl the year before...

Haha, touché.

However, they're an average team, not a bad team. How good is UNT at stopping downhill runners? Judging by the FAU score from earlier in the year, it doesn't look like very. Neither is likely a good matchup.

Just now, NorthCoast said:

Haha, touché.

However, they're an average team, not a bad team. How good is UNT at stopping downhill runners? Judging by the FAU score from earlier in the year, it doesn't look like very. Neither is likely a good matchup.

Faired pretty well vs Iowa for 3 Qtrs...

Don't think Western Michigan has the guys upfront to wear down our DL like Iowa did...