North Texas Chant

Side Show Joe

I've said it for years....and will say it again.  

It needs an easy prompt with a beginning and an end so that it can be done anywhere, any time.  

Just going on and on and on till it peters out is why it's only done once.  This needs to change.  Look at something similar to what K State or Memphis does if you need examples how a unified chant is done correctly.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 3

1 hour ago, Side Show Joe said:

Last night we had a great crowd and they were eager to get noisy. And, our team did an outstanding job of giving the fans something to cheer about. Why did we only do the North Texas chant once? And, why did wait until the 3rd quarter to do it?

The one time we did the chant, our fans were so in to it that they kept doing it after the ball was snapped. We should do that chant before the opening kickoff and at every timeout (except injury timeouts). I know people from the athletic department read this board.Someone needs to get with the video board operator and the cheerleaders and fix this before next Saturday. We should video guest alums to lead it, like Mason Fine does. How great would it be to have a video of "Stone Cold" Steve Austin, Zack Orr, or Kathy Ireland pop up and start the chant? Apogee as built to create noise. Athletic Department personnel  and cheerleaders, let's do a better job of getting the North Texas chant going when we have opportunities. Rant over.

The day Stone Cold is on the video board I will go nuts! If we can find a way to partner with him it would be huge. The AD should reach out to him next season and find a way to get him involved. I can just hear the shattered glass as stone cold rises a four wheeler onto the field to fire up fans pre game. He dropped the best promos in WWF. 

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 5

I'm sure during the video recording, it's difficult to chant in the correct time.  Maybe the piece could be edited to slow it down.  

I also reall like the idea of celebrities leading the cheer.  Joe Greene would be a great addition if he'd do it.  

I would like it done much more frequently.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Side Show Joe said:

Last night we had a great crowd and they were eager to get noisy. And, our team did an outstanding job of giving the fans something to cheer about. Why did we only do the North Texas chant once? And, why did wait until the 3rd quarter to do it?

The one time we did the chant, our fans were so in to it that they kept doing it after the ball was snapped. We should do that chant before the opening kickoff and at every timeout (except injury timeouts). I know people from the athletic department read this board.Someone needs to get with the video board operator and the cheerleaders and fix this before next Saturday. We should video guest alums to lead it, like Mason Fine does. How great would it be to have a video of "Stone Cold" Steve Austin, Zack Orr, or Kathy Ireland pop up and start the chant? Apogee as built to create noise. Athletic Department personnel  and cheerleaders, let's do a better job of getting the North Texas chant going when we have opportunities. Rant over.

Perhaps we can alternate a chant of NORTH!...TEXAS!... with MEAN!... GREEN!...separately of course, with Joe Greene leading the MEAN...GREEN...on the video board.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

It needs an easy prompt with a beginning and an end so that it can be done anywhere, any time.  

Just going on and on and on till it peters out is why it's only done once.  This needs to change.  Look at something similar to what K State or Memphis does if you need examples how a unified chant is done correctly.

Rick

Well they have at least tried to do this (but of course screwed that up.)  The MF video to start it is a good idea, but apparently it was done w/o any oversight and nobody noticed that it's done too fast for a crowd environment.  What I don't get is why after the very first time it was shown that nobody edited it to add a simple pause into the video. 

edit: Didn't see MGZ stated the same thing.

2 hours ago, BigWillie said:

Yes, it was amazing! Not sure if anyone realized it, but that was when Fine threw the deep TD pass to Rico. I think the players were feeling it too!!

They players have been quoted (on BTG) that they get fired up when the chant goes well.

Edited by meaniegreenie

4 hours ago, Andrew said:

The day Stone Cold is on the video board I will go nuts! If we can find a way to partner with him it would be huge. The AD should reach out to him next season and find a way to get him involved. I can just hear the shattered glass as stone cold rises a four wheeler onto the field to fire up fans pre game. He dropped the best promos in WWF. 

A third down graphic (or the chant one) with Stone Cold would be amazing.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Let the play on the field dictate when to stop the chant, not a band interruption.  It’s a chant, not a cheer.  Beats me down when we have a good chant going and it’s interrupted by the Green Brigade’s Dr. Who rendition or some such.  I like it when the chant is heard in the TV broadcast, not stopped when coming out of a timeout.  Last night was great.  My only complaint is that we did it while we were in offense, but the team obviously fought through it.  

• Lovely Take 1

6 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

Rick

Agreed. We also need to get rid of that stupid “Another Mean Green First Down” announcer thing. Stay with the band prompted chant that signals the crowd with something similar to what LSU and other teams do like... Band....Go....Band....Mean..Band....Green!! Band...then a quick U...N...T! 

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 4

Lots of schools (most) do the first down thing. Some tailor it for their school, but we use the generic form.

I forgot which school I heard, but I'd like to follow the version I recently heard on TV....something like this:

PA: "And that's good for a first down..." 

Students: "MEAN"

Alumni: "GREEN"

Or have the announcer do all but the last: "And that's good for a first down for the...Mean"      All:  "GREEN"

• Downvote 5

1 minute ago, UNTLifer said:

Like the idea of getting famous alums involved in leading the chant. I hate to break it to you, but Kathy Ireland isn't one. 

BTW, Steve Austin sent out a tweet last night. It was "Roll Tide!"

Exactly.  I was going to respond similarly to the earlier post.  I wouldn't count on getting much support for UNT from Steve Williams.

• Sad 3
  • Downvote 1

18 minutes ago, meaniegreenie said:

Exactly.  I was going to respond similarly to the earlier post.  I wouldn't count on getting much support for UNT from Steve Williams.

Austin talks favorably about his time here on many of his podcasts. He and Wren have chatted as well. Not sure why you're so down on it?

• Thanks 1

I’m probsky the minority’s here, but I didn’t mind the speed of it too much.  Maybe the tempo is a little quick, and could be dialed back a little. But if you think about it, that activities usually runs about 60 seconds+/-... At a a quicker tempo, we get about 30% additional “NORTH/TEXAS” in..   iagree, it’s a tiny bit clumsy at first, but one it got going, it was unnerving, and had to have to. UTEP saying “WTFFFFFF?!???”   

Until we get someone famous or infamous, Just    re shoot the video, gave Mason sorta count it down, “3-2-1” style to get everyone going at once.    

Right now his video comes up mason barrels through it so fast  

One thing we could do to help things immediately is replace that wet blanket Tim Couch with the great Rob Coffee, who I got to hear do his usual phenominal job in the volleyball game.

Secondly, the problem with using the video board or the band is..... there is no video board or band at away games, and just like two Saturdays ago in Ruston......there weren't even any cheerleaders either.

It must have a visual signaled beginning and it must have an ending.

Rick

• Downvote 4