So next week....8-2 Army on the way

TheColonyEagle

30 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

UNT has 1 impressive win vs USM... all the others are been to close to be classified as "impressive"

We have played way better overall competition that Army has. 

34 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

UNT has 1 impressive win vs USM... all the others are been to close to be classified as "impressive"

to add, that's why i said "its a toss up".

1 hour ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Why are you just focused on point spread? We just drubbed UTEP, we held on to a 1 point lead in Ruston for nearly half of the 4th quarter, we came back with a minute to go to beat UTSA, etc.

I think 7-3 is pretty damn impressive.

Edited by Aldo
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

52 minutes ago, Venson said:

We just need to stop the run. We have to load up the box and play man to man on the back end.

It's no secret that we don't pass.  We've thrown exactly 1 pass this month.  Still managed to average 5.3 yards per carry this month against two opponents who have seen LOTS of triple option over the past several years (Air Force and Duke).

On the season, we've thrown 57 passes and run the ball 582 times.  So we run 91% of the time.  Still managed to average 6.0 yards per carry.

(10 of those 57 passes [more than 17% of the season total] came on one drive - the game-tying drive against Temple.)

Not saying loading the box this week won't work, just that you won't be the first to do that this season.

Edited by BeatNavy
  • Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

3 minutes ago, BeatNavy said:

It's no secret that we don't pass.  We've thrown exactly 1 pass this month.  Still managed to average 5.3 yards per carry this month against two opponents who have seen LOTS of triple option over the past several years (Air Force and Duke).

On the season, we've thrown 57 passes and run the ball 582 times.  So we run 91% of the time.  Still managed to average 6.0 yards per carry.

(10 of those 57 passes [more than 17% of the season total] came on one drive - the game-tying drive against Temple.)

Not saying loading the box this week won't work, just that you won't be the first to do that this season.

You are right that we won't be the first, but it is still our best option.

14 minutes ago, unt_rocket09 said:

The problem with "loading the box and playing man" is that if someone misses, its see ya later.  

Gotta trust Kishawn & Khairi.  I really don't think their WRs are going to beat Jenkins/Hall/Preston 1-on-1.

23 minutes ago, BeatNavy said:

Wow, it's our old friend BeatNavy!  You're practically one of us with the number of times we've played y'all recently!  Got a spot for you on the couch if you need a place to crash.  How's your Mom'n'em?

• Upvote 1

Simply loading the box didn't beat a well executed Option attack in 1974 and it won't today. Far more important for everyone to pay attention to their assignments and watch carefully. No one should try to do more than their assignment - people trying to do more and getting out of position is exactly what the option is designed to exploit. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Aldo said:

Why are you just focused on point spread? We just drubbed UTEP, we held on to a 1 point lead in Ruston for nearly half of the 4th quarter, we came back with a minute to go to beat UTSA, etc.

I think 7-3 is pretty damn impressive.

Because its important... It shows how dominating a team is... People on here complain that we are like #100 in some polls and then you see FAU at 50 whatever... 

FAU has won games not by single digits... MTSU by 18, ODU by 30, UNT by 38, WKU by 14, Marshall by 5, and LAT by 25... UNT has not had dominating games.. 

It is impressive (and stop saying its impressive, no one has said it has not been), but the numbers are not stacking up to be 7-3... Before UTEP, we had allowed more points than points scored (we were at -3).... Yes that number is largely impacted by 2 games (SMU and FAU). Yes UNT has shown great ability to battle back at get a W.. I would bet, if you looked at SL tender here he has allowed more points than they have scored and he is 1 game above .500... 

We think that UNT is ready for a P5 but if I'm CUSA, I'm not putting them out there vs a P5.. FAU has earned that, and overtaken WKU/LT as the best team in CUSA... 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

2 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Because its important... It shows how dominating a team is... People on here complain that we are like #100 in some polls and then you see FAU at 50 whatever... 

FAU has won games not by single digits... MTSU by 18, ODU by 30, UNT by 38, WKU by 14, Marshall by 5, and LAT by 25... UNT has not had dominating games.. 

It is impressive (and stop saying its impressive, no one has said it has not been), but the numbers are not stacking up to be 7-3... Before UTEP, we had allowed more points than points scored (we were at -3).... Yes that number is largely impacted by 2 games (SMU and FAU). Yes UNT has shown great ability to battle back at get a W.. I would bet, if you looked at SL tender here he has allowed more points than they have scored and he is 1 game above .500... 

We think that UNT is ready for a P5 but if I'm CUSA, I'm not putting them out there vs a P5.. FAU has earned that, and overtaken WKU/LT as the best team in CUSA... 

I think I just closed 3 other threads where you post about dominant wins.  You're on a mission, sir.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

10 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

On a mission for us to expect and want more than a 1,3, 7 point wins vs back ups, comeback program, and a 2-5 team when we played them... 

You do realize NT is in year 2 of a complete rebuild, right?   We still haven't seen this team's full potential for an entire 4 quarters.  I'm pretty sure you know that as well.

I think when we actually see that game from the Mean Green, then maybe we could raise up the style points expectations.

Right now, we just need to win these games.   Winning begets winning.
Again, several people have already gone over this with you, but:
  -  "back ups"... not 100%-sure who you're referencing here, but I think you were saying this about LATech.  You MUST understand that LATech's "back ups" are still on-par with the rest of our conference... because they're winners, they've recruited & developed quality depth due to their sustained success.  Quality win on the road.
  -  "comeback program"...  I was with you right after this game, but as time has unfolded, that is also a quality win.  Heck, that team is still ranked ahead of UNT in some polls!
  -  "2-5 team"... ST's spotted them 14pts.  That is frustrating, of course.  Otherwise, this was a pretty nice game.
Heck, you didn't even mention UTEP, which was just as frustrating (if not moreso) in the 1st half.

Please understand that there is still a ways to go, then sit back, have faith we'll get there, and enjoy the ride.

• Upvote 5

19 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

On a mission for us to expect and want more than a 1,3, 7 point wins vs back ups, comeback program, and a 2-5 team when we played them... 

Follow up for the sake of discussion:  knowing where we are coming from,

1) Are these one possession wins surprising?
2) Do you think this team this year should be getting 15+ point wins?  As in 15+ points better than most teams on the other side of the ball?
3) Where do you think SL is hiding his 25 point win game plan (probably entitled, "At The End Of The Day, Only Use for 25+ Wins"), and why isn't he using that instead?
4) Hypothetically, after 3 consecutive nine-win seasons with zero wins of more than 14 points, would you let him (SL) go?

• Downvote 1

32 minutes ago, greenminer said:

2) Do you think this team this year should be getting 15+ point wins?  As in 15+ points better than most teams on the other side of the ball?
3) Where do you think SL is hiding his 25 point win game plan (probably entitled, "At The End Of The Day, Only Use for 25+ Wins"), and why isn't he using that instead?
4) Hypothetically, after 3 consecutive nine-win seasons with zero wins of more than 14 points, would you let him (SL) go?

To add. Last year we had one of the biggest swings in the nation in ppg from 2015 to 2016. We were still last in the conference in many offensive categorize. Now we are at or near first in many categories and tied for most wins in the conference iirc 

12 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

You do realize NT is in year 2 of a complete rebuild, right?   We still haven't seen this team's full potential for an entire 4 quarters.  I'm pretty sure you know that as well.

Stop bringing up this we are in year 2... FAU is in year 1 and made us look like a FCS team... 

• Downvote 1

3 hours ago, greenminer said:

1- They are surprising because remember UAB most everyone thought it would be a blow out, ODU a 2-5 team hang around and I believe even lead in 2nd half, LT was a patchwork group of 1st/2nd/and 3rd team guys and lost the best pass-rusher they had, on top of covering our p5 transfer WR with a True Fr CB playing 1 on 1 nearly the entire game... 

2- This team should with the #16 offense going up vs a 2-5 ODU, a bunch of back up vs LT.. I can understand vs 20s vs UTSA, or a healthy LT team

3- That is the Million dollar question he is getting paid for.. Hopefully he can break it out this last stretch of games vs Army, FAU (likely), and the bowl match up if he wants to see how UNT throughout the state.

4- Hypothetically, That would mean SL is here 3 additional years following this year (since they beat USM by 15).. By then he gets picked up by Baylor to turn the ship around and for them to go back to the Air-Raid of Scoring and very little defense. 

• Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 3

11 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Stop bringing up this we are in year 2... FAU is in year 1 and made us look like a FCS team... 

Stop bringing up FAU... did you watch that game?  If so, did you not see the complete lack of effort from the Mean Green during that game?

Don't worry, you'll see the difference on 12/2.   That doesn't change the fact that we have yet to see a complete game put together by these guys because they haven't been playing together very long.   It also doesn't change the fact that Littrell has instilled a belief/resiliency in this team to dig out wins when it appears we've coughed them up.  And finally, it doesn't change the fact that when that 'complete game' is played (because it will be), it is going to be a beautiful sight.   

Just chill, and adjust your expectations on a steady incline rather than an exponential incline.

11 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

1- They are surprising because remember UAB most everyone thought it would be a blow out, ODU a 2-5 team hang around and I believe even lead in 2nd half, LT was a patchwork group of 1st/2nd/and 3rd team guys and lost the best pass-rusher they had, on top of covering our p5 transfer WR with a True Fr CB playing 1 on 1 nearly the entire game... 

2- This team should with the #16 offense going up vs a 2-5 ODU, a bunch of back up vs LT.. I can understand vs 20s vs UTSA, or a healthy LT team

3- That is the Million dollar question he is getting paid for.. Hopefully he can break it out this last stretch of games vs Army, FAU (likely), and the bowl match up if he wants to see how UNT throughout the state.

4- Hypothetically, That would mean SL is here 3 additional years following this year (since they beat USM by 15).. By then he gets picked up by Baylor to turn the ship around and for them to go back to the Air-Raid of Scoring and very little defense. 

dude...   dude!    DUDE?!?    You are not paying close enough attention.

UNT racked up 460 yards and 45 points in this game.  The #16 offense did their job.  Our ST's kept ODU in that game by spotting them 14pts.

You have a lot of very knowledgeable people here telling you you're off-base.

12 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

FAU (and even FIU) has been a preseason favorite for a few seasons running because they've had the talent in place. People noticed.

The North Texas roster was gutted. We pretty much started as an FCS team.

We all have expectations. Mine was 5 wins. They are outperforming expectations. That's great, but let's keep that in perspective. This roster isn't the most talented roster in the conference.

I'm drooling imagining what this team will look like with a complete roster over the next few seasons.

• Upvote 1