Seth Littrell has made the Mean Green relevant again – and he may not be around much longer

Brady Keane

9 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

He wins 8 next year, he's gone. I easily see 9 or 10 next year. We'll see who's really dumb then, I guess? 

He either would need to win out this season and win 10 next year, or win 10 next year with a CUSA championship to have a resume that would match the G5 coaches who got hired away by P5s last year. 

• Upvote 4

I suggest we get another forum for Littrell leaving, to save everyone the trouble of multiple threads with the same subject after every win.  Just go to that forum and speculate or just read all the comments about losing the coaching staff already available.    

Then some of us that fully realize that any successful coach may be gone the next year, can at least not have to read the same stuff over and over and can actually more fully enjoy a win.  

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

I suggest we get another forum for Littrell leaving, to save everyone the trouble of multiple threads with the same subject after every win.  Just go to that forum and speculate or just read all the comments about losing the coaching staff already available.    

Then some of us that fully realize that any successful coach may be gone the next year, can at least not have to read the same stuff over and over and can actually more fully enjoy a win.  

Why does it have to be accepted that if we hire a good coach and we provide an ecosystem that allows him to be successful we HAVE to realize that he will leave?  That’s the OLD DENTON mentality we need to change my friend.  Look at my other posts — it does not have to be a GIVEN that he leaves... we could put together a proactive plan to keep him or we could just bow our head down and accept that “well we are North Texas and we can’t expect or do better than this...”. love you grand and I️ mean no disrespect but dammit we have to get out of that mindset or we will be spinning our wheels for decades.  Have you looked at our track record on Coaching hires?  When we get a keeper we need to keep him! Enough said.  GMG!

I think Seth won't leave after this season if given a reasonable raise. 

The jobs coming open this year most likely are not a good fit for someone interested in stability and opportunity to win.  Below is a link to a story posted Oct 25th.  I believe you could add LSU's coaching situation to this list. That puts 5 SEC positions in play.  However I think any coach going to that conference is taking a big risk as long as Saban is around.   No job in the SEC is stable except maybe if you consistently keep Vandy and Kentucky bowl eligible those programs will keep you around.  The you have programs like Nebraska on this list.  They just have not accepted the new normal which has them on the outside looking in when it comes to being national championship contenders.   UCLA, I don't know what there expectations are but they seem to be out of whack because they have never been good consistently in football.   They are second tier in the Pac 12 behind the top tier programs like Stanford, Washington, USC., and Oregon.  Seth maybe eyeing UT in the back of his mind or a SEC West Division job after Saban is gone.   Also I think he wants to stay in the South.   Now if the Mean Green win out the rest of the season, Saban wins the National Championship and announces his retirement at the conclusion of the championship game things could change.  Seth could go to any of those SEC West openings.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Harry said:

Why does it have to be accepted that if we hire a good coach and we provide an ecosystem that allows him to be successful we HAVE to realize that he will leave?  That’s the OLD DENTON mentality we need to change my friend.  Look at my other posts — it does not have to be a GIVEN that he leaves... we could put together a proactive plan to keep him or we could just bow our head down and accept that “well we are North Texas and we can’t expect or do better than this...”

Wow, I am trying to express my dismay at all the endless speculation about Littrells future and now am accused of Old Denton mentality.  I expressed no opinion at all about Littrell leaving.  Just stated the obvious that any successful coach may be lured away. 

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

7 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Wow, I am trying to express my dismay at all the endless speculation about Littrells future and now am accused of Old Denton mentality.  I expressed no opinion at all about Littrell leaving.  Just stated the obvious that any successful coach may be lured away. 

Really did not mean for my comments to be taken personally by you..  if you took it that way my apologies.  

If a lower P5 program came looking to hire away Littrell and our administration really wanted to keep him, I think they could pay him enough to pass on those offers. When a major P5 program comes calling then we would be powerless.

Right now lets focus on Army and look at Littrell's contract after the C-USA Title Game. FAU should be hosting it, and we owe them a beating.

6 hours ago, Harry said:

Why does it have to be accepted that if we hire a good coach and we provide an ecosystem that allows him to be successful we HAVE to realize that he will leave?  That’s the OLD DENTON mentality we need to change my friend.  Look at my other posts — it does not have to be a GIVEN that he leaves... we could put together a proactive plan to keep him or we could just bow our head down and accept that “well we are North Texas and we can’t expect or do better than this...”. love you grand and I️ mean no disrespect but dammit we have to get out of that mindset or we will be spinning our wheels for decades.  Have you looked at our track record on Coaching hires?  When we get a keeper we need to keep him! Enough said.  GMG!

Agreed. 

Seth is not far from home here. His family is certainly within reasonable driving distance. Sometimes family is more important than money. He is in a recruiting hot bed. He is building a program that could be perennial champions and that would make him a coaching legend. Sometimes it's not always about the money. Why do some college coaches jump to the NFL for less money? Because they want to prove that they can win at the highest level. Not the money. It's sometimes about being remembered. Seth would definitely be remembered if he can take a program that has been long considered a death nail for college football coaches and make them a consistent top 25 team. I am not saying that he is not motivated by money or that he doesn't want to prove he can win at the P5 level. All I am saying is at this point it is all speculation. We do not know what truly motivates him. What we can do is try and build the fan base to keep him. There is no reason why the 4th largest university in the state should not have one of the best fan bases in the state and the country for that matter. We have to find a way to get the alumni and students better involved. The team and coaching staff are doing their part to win. Now we as alumni and students need to do our part. The more we buy tickets the more we have to pay the HC and staff. lets stop waiting on them to string together 5 winning seasons before we begin to support them. We asked them to win now and they are doing that so lets support them now. No coach wants to stick around an apathetic fan base for sure. Plus it's hard to recruit kids to want to play in front of an apathetic fan base.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Mike Jackson said:

UCLA, I don't know what there expectations are but they seem to be out of whack because they have never been good consistently in football.   They are second tier in the Pac 12 behind the top tier programs like Stanford, Washington, USC., and Oregon. 

UCLA has won more conference titles than Stanford, Washington, and Oregon.  Only USC has real ownership of the Pac-12 historically.  The other four mentioned all have roughly the same success, just at various times.

We should anticipate a new contract for Littrell in addition to a larger pool for assistant coaches. I would guess this deal is more in line with AAC or MWC financials than CUSA. Baker and his team are highly intelligent, and know that we have outstanding leadership with a coach who is the right fit to lead this program to championships for as long as he wants.

Edited by UNT Mean Green
  • Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 3