UNT v Eureka

Andrew

Just now, Withers940 said:

Even though it was Eureka, I️ was thoroughly impressed with how they played. I️ felt the energy was much higher and it all came from the HC. He’s hotter than a $2 pistol and it was really fun to watch. 

More or less what i came away with. 

Didn't really show us anything about the outcome of our upcoming conference games, did tell us about GM's intensity and how it transfers to the team.

11 hours ago, Withers940 said:

I️ know Eureka isn’t awesome but when’s the last time this team scored 100? 120 for that matter?

This is why records are so misleading.  NT just put a lot of points on a no scholarship team that didn't have a starter over 6'4.  

The girls' win was a lot more impressive when you consider it was against a NAIA div 1 team that allows 11 scholarship players.  

Other than building up stats, I am not sure what a game against an opponent like this accomplishes.   I don't think it does a thing to prepare NT for their first real game away at Nebraska.  

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

I don't think it does a thing to prepare NT for their first real game away at Nebraska.  

And if it didn't, then what? We lose an early non-conference game on the road to Nebraska?

People are acting like playing this opponent made us worse. This game was never intended to be some tough, competitive game. It was just to get a game under our new players' belts, get another game of the roles on this team getting defined, getting a chance to play everyone, and let the fans see the new team in live action.

We aren't making the NCAA tournament as an at-large team. Nothing is riding on the outcome of this Nebraska game. Lose and we take the experience forward, win and you build up some early momentum. Playing a BIG 10 opponent is supposed to be a learning experience and a test in and of itself, regardless of the preceding game. I'm sure it will be.

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 2
  • Downvote 3

25 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

And if it didn't, then what? We lose an early non-conference game on the road to Nebraska?

People are acting like playing this opponent made us worse. This game was never intended to be some tough, competitive game. It was just to get a game under our new players' belts, get another game of the roles on this team getting defined, getting a chance to play everyone, and let the fans see the new team in live action.

We aren't making the NCAA tournament as an at-large team. Nothing is riding on the outcome of this Nebraska game. Lose and we take the experience forward, win and you build up some early momentum. Playing a BIG 10 opponent is supposed to be a learning experience and a test in and of itself, regardless of the preceding game. I'm sure it will be.

Didn't say it made NT worse, but I doubt it made them any better.   With the exception of one game, the whole oc at home schedule is not going to attract many fans.  Even creampuffs scheduled to boost Benford's record such as Jarvis and Texas college were NAIA schools. 

I don't think anyone needs to explain why NT scheduled this game.  

It is just not NT, but I don't think any game against a div. 3 non-scholarship team should count for a div. I. 

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Didn't say it made NT worse, but I doubt it made them any better.   With the exception of one game, the whole oc at home schedule is not going to attract many fans.  

As someone mentioned in another thread, if fans are coming to the games to see the team UNT is playing and not going to see UNT then we're always going to struggle with attendance. 

I get it. I want to see better opponents in the Pit too. This is a transition year with a really young team. I hope we get some big name opponents in the Pit in two years when Gibson, Woolridge, Smart, Lawson, and maybe Simmons are in their third straight year as starters and are more battle tested.

Mccasland has won 20 games in a similar conference already. This isn't Benford and RV trying to mask how bad they are by playing a bunch of easy teams. This is guys knowing what they're doing focusing on getting this team playing well together and racking up some wins and confidence before CUSA play starts. I don't think it's a bad strategy for year 1.

Even creampuffs scheduled to boost Benford's record such as Jarvis and Texas college were NAIA schools. 

Are we really nitpicking NAIA vs D3?

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 3

19 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:
21 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

As someone mentioned in another thread, if fans are coming to the games to see the team UNT is playing and not going to see UNT then we're always going to struggle with attendance. 

I get it. I want to see better opponents in the Pit too. This is a transition year with a really young team. I hope we get some big name opponents in the Pit in two years when Gibson, Woolridge, Smart, Lawson, and maybe Simmons are in their third straight year as starters and are more battle tested.

Mccasland has won 20 games in a similar conference already. This isn't Benford and RV trying to mask how bad they are by playing a bunch of easy teams. This is guys knowing what they're doing focusing on getting this team playing well together and racking up some wins and confidence before CUSA play starts. I don't think it's a bad strategy for year 1.

Are we really nitpicking NAIA vs D3?

You don't see a difference in playing a team with 11 scholarship athletes vs a team with none?  

I don't think slaughtering a team with no chance to compete is going to help NT gain confidence or get them ready for anything. 

I really don't fault NT for scheduling this game for whatever reason.   I just think a more competitive game would have served both the team and fans better.  Again,  I don't think a game with this kind of disparity in resources should count. 

This is a transitional year in terms of the coaching change, but expect this team to win a lot of games against CUSA teams.   

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Matt from A700 said:

Saw the announced attendance, according to the boxscore, was 3,252. Can anyone who went to the game tell me how inaccurate this was?

There were a good number of folks there. I felt like the 5 PM tip-off kept some people away but it was also the night of many homecoming events.

• Downvote 1