'18 JUCO RB Deandre Torrey (MGCCC)

BillySee58

13 minutes ago, Aldo said:

As @aztecskin mentioned on the podcast, it's looking more and more like North Texas is leaning towards the agile, shifty, explosive back, rather than a bruiser. Air raid predicates itself on the individual exploding for huge gains on short plays. I think Torrey in particular would be really good in the short pass game.

But I would loooooooooove a bruiser.

Seems like we could use our TE/HB in that role and hand them the ball occasionally.  Not sure that I have seen us line the HB up in the RB spot, but don't see why we couldn't and it would save a roster spot.

• Downvote 1

I think having a "power" back for the main purpose of getting short yardage or goal line touches is overrated. Big guys typically take longer to get going, so if there is backfield penetration they're equally as screwed or more screwed than small or regular sized backs. Maybe more so because those guys have a better shot at running away from the trouble.

I think blocking by the line and the back's cutting ability are both more important than having a big powerful back with the ball im short-yardage situations.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

I think having a "power" back for the main purpose of getting short yardage or goal line touches is overrated. Big guys typically take longer to get going, so if there is backfield penetration they're equally as screwed or more screwed than small or regular sized backs. Maybe more so because those guys have a better shot at running away from the trouble.

I think blocking by the line and the back's cutting ability are both more important than having a big powerful back with the ball im short-yardage situations.

Agree.

The powerback really only works if your OL can move the LOS consistently.  Then the powerback can leverage their momentum compounded with the OLs momentum to just push their way forward for a yard or two.   

This OL is not built like Dickey's/McCarney's.  Our OL is built mainly for pass protect.

On 12/15/2017 at 1:56 PM, BillySee58 said:

I agree. the first part of the play requires vision and patience, and just enough speed and explosion to be a D1 back. The power/agility thing after the first cut is really a matter of choice in the *preferred way to make defenders miss.

There is some value to having a big guy simply lean forward for some yards who is strong enough to not fumble. Jeff fumbled most when fighting for yards. 

*Preferred in the sense of choosing a back. The actual guy is just doing what he is built to do. 

2 hours ago, aztecskin said:

I agree. the first part of the play requires vision and patience, and just enough speed and explosion to be a D1 back. The power/agility thing after the first cut is really a matter of choice in the *preferred way to make defenders miss.

There is some value to having a big guy simply lean forward for some yards who is strong enough to not fumble. Jeff fumbled most when fighting for yards. 

*Preferred in the sense of choosing a back. The actual guy is just doing what he is built to do. 

My point is, if our coaches prefer speedy and shifty backs as you mentioned, I think it's a waste of a scholarship to get a big back for the primary purpose of being a goal-line/short-yardage back. And I certainly wouldn't expect it.

If we find a big back who could be a productive every-down back for us, and we think he could fit our offense, great. But our coaches know having a big back isn't the only way to convert on short-yardage plays, and does not even necessarily improve our chances given our offense.

He is quick, but definitely slow. But in football you don't need 100 meter speed, you just need a good 40 yard burst. I think he gives us that explosiveness. He is definitely not going to run away from DBs, but by the time they catch him he will have gotten us a good 30 to 40 yards and I will take that. He is short and could get lost in the line causing defenders to miss.

6 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

If we find a big back who could be a productive every-down back for us, and we think he could fit our offense, great. But our coaches know having a big back isn't the only way to convert on short-yardage plays, and does not even necessarily improve our chances given our offense.

I think we agree. My point on the podcast was that it was interesting the way that staffs choose. I don’t think there is a wrong answer, as long as you build your team correctly. 

This staff prefers shifty, agile backs that can catch and that just puts a bit more pressure on the execution up front, etc. 

The only programs that can afford to spend a roster spot on a big guy are usually the ones that have robust walk-on programs. 

So I agree, unless a big body guy wants to walk on here just to be a short yardage back, we should just find guys that can play all three downs for us. 

Edited by aztecskin
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, aztecskin said:

I think we agree. My point on the podcast was that it was interesting the way that staffs choose. I don’t think there is a wrong answer, as long as you build your team correctly. 

This staff prefers shifty, agile backs that can catch and that just puts a bit more pressure on the execution up front, etc. 

The only programs that can afford to spend a roster spot on a big guy are usually the ones that have robust walk-on programs. 

So I agree, unless a big body guy wants to walk on here just to be a short yardage back, we should just find guys that can play all three downs for us. 

Right. And I never felt like we disagreed. I think there's confusion because I'm quoting to your posts while explaining why I disagree with the notion that we are "missing" a power back. But yeah, what you said

1 hour ago, aztecskin said:

Troy had multiple “big backs”.. the RB they had yesterday was as big as our DL and 25+ lbs heavier than our LBs, with him being 240-250 lbs.. With teams going towards quicker/smaller LBs, having a bigger back that is physical is a great way to counter.. Heck look at Singletary at FAU coming in around 215-225.. 

We can say the “bigger” RB may not have a major impact but it would be a great asset to have... Having an RB that is bigger than CUSA lbs would also, help us establish a physical presence as well because of LBs and DBs having to deal with a guy of size..

6 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Troy had multiple “big backs”.. the RB they had yesterday was as big as our DL and 25+ lbs heavier than our LBs, with him being 240-250 lbs.. With teams going towards quicker/smaller LBs, having a bigger back that is physical is a great way to counter.. Heck look at Singletary at FAU coming in around 215-225.. 

We can say the “bigger” RB may not have a major impact but it would be a great asset to have... Having an RB that is bigger than CUSA lbs would also, help us establish a physical presence as well because of LBs and DBs having to deal with a guy of size..

Where are you seeing Singletary is 215-225? Listed at 200 and that's what he looks like, probably lighter at this stage in the season.

Thats a difference in preference between us and Troy. I feel like we've had chances to get big backs in recruiting but haven't really pursued them very hard. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

20 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Where are you seeing Singletary is 215-225? Listed at 200 and that's what he looks like, probably lighter at this stage in the season.

Thats a difference in preference between us and Troy. I feel like we've had chances to get big backs in recruiting but haven't really pursued them very hard. 

They said it during the Championship game, because I was shocked thinking he was the weight of EJ.. 

We have had chances I ageee, like the kid Devonte Lee from OK, this class. He ended up committing to Nevada with Perry I believe, when we had the other RB (Johnson) committed. 

Adding a back like Lee would be a solid addition to Smith, Johnson, Torrey, and Siggers (if he is an RB and not a spot guy now).

25 minutes ago, TreeFiddy said:

I assume we are talked ng about n addition to the big back we already have on the roster, right?  Cannon Maki is a pretty big dude. 

I would be fine with it if he can do it.. No idea how reliable he is with carrying it or his vision though. 

Also, he didn’t seem to play (if at all this year it seemed.)?

@BTG_Fan1 the point isn't that having a big back is wrong or unworkable -- in fact on the podcast I was saying that it is a valid way to go -- but whether or not we recruit those guys. We do not and it is a valid choice. I do not see NT pursuing a Chunn or Anderson and that is simply preference. 

If you read our (my and  @BillySee58) you will see that the point is that we are likely not going to get a Smith, Torrey and mix in a big back for a specific purpose. Doesn't look like we found a big guy to be an every down kind of dude either. 

• Upvote 2