ESPN names Chad Morris, Seth Littrell, Neal Brown among potential Kliff Kingsbury replacements

Harry

From what I read somewhere AD Wren Baker keeps a running list of potentials in case we lose a coach.

Most schools in the P5 & G5 are susceptible to losing a HFC to other programs  except about 10-15 super programs.  

I still like Boise's past success in replacing HFC's when they lost about 4 in a 12 year period of time.  As I recall, each new HFC still kept the Broncos in the Top 25.  I though that uncanny if not remarkable.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

Oil prices are still depressed and Kingsbury has 3 more years on his contract. I really doubt anyone is going to be itching to pay Kingsbury $10M to go away. 

However, if they do make a change, I really think Art Briles will be given strong consideration. 

ETA: With the looming Big 12 changes, TTech is desperately seeking relevancy (even more so than normal). I think They are desperate enough and just far enough off the beaten path to consider Briles. 

Edited by TreeFiddy
  • Downvote 3

Where did I miss it when Kingsbury got canned?

Until that truely happns I think this is premature, as Kingsbury managed to negotiate a really high buyout and if he wins two more games I don't think he actually getss canned. Next week is vs Baylor, the last game vs Texas. He wins those I am not so sure he gets canned.

That said Litrells buyout is ridiculously low, (for him to leave,not for UNT to get rid of him) considering what his salary is.

1 minute ago, Got5onIt said:

What am I missing here? Coach Bro hasn’t been fired yet and won’t be fired for at least one more year...

You just took the words out of my mouth. Hadn't even seen the post before I did my post

Tech owes Kingsbury $6 million if they fire him after this season. They get close to $30 million a year just in TV money. This won’t be why they don’t fire him.

And Art Briles will never coach again...

Morris will be A&M’s coach after this season ends. My worry is that SMU comes up here and raids Littrell and company to move to the Hilltop. 

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 2

4 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

Tech owes Kingsbury $6 million if they fire him after this season. They get close to $30 million a year just in TV money. This won’t be why they don’t fire him.

Morris will be A&M’s coach after this season ends. My worry is that SMU comes up here and raids Littrell and company to move to the Hilltop. 

HAHAHAHA not happening. When Littrell leaves it's going to be for a P5 job. 

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, Got5onIt said:

What am I missing here? Coach Bro hasn’t been fired yet and won’t be fired for at least one more year...

This is obviously assumes he will be fired, and he will if he finishes 4-8, 5-7. They have Baylor, TCU and Texas left. 

Baylor is no guarantee and they for sure won’t beat the remaining two. 

He hasnt done well at all in 5 years. 

13 minutes ago, edcollopy said:

Seth to Lubbock doesn't make a ton of sense.  You're trading one young, offensive minded coach for another.  Both have horrendous defenses.  Coach Bro has a connection to the school, Seth does not.  Just not seeing that being a logical threat to us.

Seth was the RBs coach under leach in the early  2000s.

and I agree with you, at this point they won’t trade a young coach for another. 

Edited by meangreen08

As someone who seriously considered Texas Tech and a beloved cousin who is an alumni I can say this without negative bias.  Tech should not be on Seth’s radar.  It is a second tier P5 program on par with TCU, Baylor, Miss State, Ole Miss, Minnesota and etc.   And actually the stability that Gary Patterson provides makes TCU a slight cut above the others listed. Now if Seth wants to be the Gary Patterson of West Texas then he should consider it.  But I don’t see him as a guy to hang around Lubbock for 10 years being really good.  And essentially waiting for UT and OU both to have down years to squeeze into the college playoff.  All the while dealing with deep pocket boosters who think they should be on par with UT.  I think he would be looking for stability based on reasonable expectations from alumni.  Tech is not that kind of place.  I stay out of the SEC West till Saban is gone and the Big 10 East unless PSU or Michigan come open.  Because if he sticks around two more years and win a couple of Conference titles and prestigious bowl games he would be considered for the absolute best jobs in FBS and Tech is not that.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

This is one of the crazier things I’ve read on here. 

SMU is lateral. Money is one thing but Seth is going to want a P5 gig.

• Downvote 1

12 hours ago, TreeFiddy said:

Oil prices are still depressed and Kingsbury has 3 more years on his contract. I really doubt anyone is going to be itching to pay Kingsbury $10M to go away. 

However, if they do make a change, I really think Art Briles will be given strong consideration. 

ETA: With the looming Big 12 changes, TTech is desperately seeking relevancy (even more so than normal). I think They are desperate enough and just far enough off the beaten path to consider Briles. 

Art Briles will never work in college football again. 

1 minute ago, outoftown said:

He will.... but he'll probably have to wait another another year or two and will have to start back up considerably lower than Texas Tech HC. That is, if his son doesn't get in trouble at FAU by then.

There is just no way. He is as toxic as they come. There is not a school in the country that would take a chance on tarnishing their brand by hiring a guy that purposefully covered for criminals and rapists. The bad press alone would be enough to bury them. Not even the CFL would allow Briles to coach. 

Edited by meangreenthirteen

2 minutes ago, meangreenthirteen said:

There is just no way. He is as toxic as they come. There is not a school in the country that would take a chance on tarnishing their brand. The bad press alone would be enough to bury them. Not even the CFL would allow Briles to coach. 

I hope you are right, but I feel some AD at some point will be desperate enough to push it through. And in college its not like in a professional league, where the league can simply veto that.

Edited by outoftown

Just now, outoftown said:

I hope you are right, but I feel some AD at some point will be desperate enough to push it through. And in college its not like in a professional league, where the league can simply veto that.

I would be shocked and honestly pretty angry. But I guess nothing really surprises me in college sports anymore....sigh