Mattress Mack Out $10 Million

UNTLifer

8 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Pretty awesome promotion.  He also sent some fans to Game 6 of the World Series.

http://abc13.com/sports/mattress-mack-giving-$10m-in-rebates-after-astros-win/2553878/

My flood ravaged family got a free mattress from Mac. Amazing. The only thing they ended up having to pay was tax and delivery. 

• Upvote 3

He has done great things for a part of Texas many of us were raised alright. 

Yet Is This An Urban Tale or Truth?   Did he once pledge $1 million to UNT Athletics if we met his criteria to receive it & then pulled his pledge after we did?  Someone please tell me that was merely a myth. I want to keep him on my Texas Heroes & Icons  list. 

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

Yet Is This An Urban Tale or Truth?   Did he once pledge $1 million to UNT Athletics if we met his criteria to receive it & then pulled his pledge after we did?  Someone please tell me that was merely a myth. I want to keep him on my Texas Heroes & Icons  list. 

GMG!

I thought he tied his $$ to the practice field being named after DD

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

GMG!

He was mad we fired Dicky so in order to receive the money we had to name the...at the time brand new...Practice Facility after dicky. Which we did. The athletic department and dicky had a nasty split so him making them do this is pretty funny 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Lippoldt89 said:

He was mad we fired Dicky so in order to receive the money we had to name the...at the time brand new...Practice Facility after dicky. Which we did. The athletic department and dicky had a nasty split so him making them do this is pretty funny 

I still can't believe we haven't renamed those fields after Hayden Fry...I can't imagine Mattress Mac would even know, much less care one iota about it now, since its been well over a decade...

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

11 hours ago, Lippoldt89 said:

Original question: Did UNT get the pledged money because another alum told me we did not.  I didn't believe him but was just curious to know (even all these years later). 😴

6 hours ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

Original question: Did UNT get the pledged money because another alum told me we did not.  I didn't believe him but was just curious to know (even all these years later). 😴

We got it, but only on the caveat that we name the practice fields after Darrell Dickey...and we were so poor, RV gladly accepted it to get that cool million.

This was a big reason why so many of us were afraid that RV was just going to be able to ride into the sunset here as the AD for life and get the athletic building complex named after him. Thankfully, the leadership here FINALLY had enough of his losing and replaced him with somebody who is actually TRYING...Wren Baker is so refreshing to this place, its as if he is a can of Renuzit...