North Texas Volleyball path toward NCAA Tournament

Salsa_Verde

Heading into a critical game against Western Kentucky Thursday night in Denton. North Texas is currently ranked 55th while WKU is ranked 32. If North Texas beats WKU this team should shoot up in the rankings, but my question is this. Is wining the conference tournament North Texas’ only path into the NCAA Tournament? Or could North Texas still get in based on strength of schedule or rankings? Excited to see how this unfolds as I can’t remember when the last time the volleyball team was in a position to make the NCAA tournament. 

-GMG!

http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/volleyball-women/d1

• Upvote 1

On 11/10/2017 at 1:12 AM, BTG_Fan1 said:

They say UNT would be conference champs If they win on Saturday.. But CUSA still has a conference tournament at WKU in a week, according to the UNT vball schedule. 

Regular season conference champions.....It’s weird that they have two different championship titles. 

On 11/11/2017 at 11:41 PM, Boca_Nasty_96 said:

So did they win the conference championship?

They have a regular season conference championship...which if won leads to the number #1 seed in the conference tournament. I don’t know which holds more weight but North Texas has never won either until this year. 

44 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

We've moved up to #48 with a 26-2 record.  Hoping that if we at least make it to the finals in CUSA Tournament we can still get a bid to the NCAA Tournament.  WKU is currently ranked #32.

I still think our ranking is a little off. Especially since North Texas has defeated Western Kentucky and Oregon St. both of which are ranked ahead of North Texas. 

On 11/11/2017 at 2:11 AM, Salsa_Verde said:

Regular season conference champions.....It’s weird that they have two different championship titles. 

Not weird at all.  Basketball  and soccer both work that way.   NT is regular season co-champion with WKU.  

NT as good as they are and their record is, will be a very long shot to make the NCAA tournament if they lose in the conference tournament.  There are too many conference representatives that will get automatic bids for NT to make it with their rank.