Homecoming game attendance Prediction?

trud1966

I am willing to bet we have not seen much north of 20,000 in years. At least butts in seats. I have sat in the tail the last two seasons it gives a person a new perspective  of attendance and how much ours can improve. What they announce seems so meaningless when there is not a chance its been right in a long time. I get it purchased tickets but I am not even sure what that means in that every student has a ticket so I guess there is a student allotment. What happens then if more students want to go, do they actually turn them down? 

Here are some round numbers to consider.

27,000 - 90%

24,000 - 80%

21,000 - 70%

18,000 - 60%

15,000 - 50%

12,000 - 40%

9,000 - 30%

6,000 - 20%

3,000 - 10%

Last game we would be lucky if there was too much more than 6,000 - 7,000 people in the stadium. So many sections were completely empty and several more had 10 or less people to point that we were well less of 30%. I think the green seat backs really helps fill in the stadium. 

Does anyone really think this stadium has been more 70% full in years? 

7 hours ago, KingDL1 said:

I am willing to bet we have not seen much north of 20,000 in years. At least butts in seats. I have sat in the tail the last two seasons it gives a person a new perspective  of attendance and how much ours can improve. What they announce seems so meaningless when there is not a chance its been right in a long time. I get it purchased tickets but I am not even sure what that means in that every student has a ticket so I guess there is a student allotment. What happens then if more students want to go, do they actually turn them down? 

Here are some round numbers to consider.

27,000 - 90%

24,000 - 80%

21,000 - 70%

18,000 - 60%

15,000 - 50%

12,000 - 40%

9,000 - 30%

6,000 - 20%

3,000 - 10%

Last game we would be lucky if there was too much more than 6,000 - 7,000 people in the stadium. So many sections were completely empty and several more had 10 or less people to point that we were well less of 30%. I think the green seat backs really helps fill in the stadium. 

Does anyone really think this stadium has been more 70% full in years? 

Pretty sure that they count student tickets distributed, which is one of the reasons they make them request a ticket each week for the game.  Even if the student does not show up they can count the student ticket as 'sold' since the ticket has been distributed.

14 hours ago, aztecskin said:

Perfect conditions for a good crowd. That 26K number for the 2013 game was also

* Homecoming

* 2nd weekend in November

* Had a 6-3 NT

* UTEP (and a bad one -- they finished 2-10)

UTEP brought a good crowd back then but they didn't in 2015. 

eyyyyyyyyy... you sat almost directly behind where i used to sit.

• Upvote 2

At this point, what it should be isn't anything close to what it will be. We will probably get a crowd announced between 23k and 24k, with real butts in seats being about 4k less, since its Homecoming and UTEP usually brings a better fanbase than any other CUSA team we host.

I've said this before, but the reality is that expecting people who don't like athletics and have been conditioned to not like UNT athletics makes up more than 98% of the UNT Family, based off of the numbers that Wren Baker reported. We just have to realize that getting the needle moved up to 3% of the UNT Alumni and student body engaged would make a nice difference in the years ahead. Then see if the newly engaged students we had seen in previous seasons for really bad football are interested in supporting us via season tickets and attendance and MGC contributions in the decades ahead. If they will, then Apogee's 30k seating will probably need to get expanded in the years ahead. If not, much like Fouts' capacity more than comfortably hosted every single football game we ever had in Denton (except for SMU in 1990),  the 30k of seats at Apogee will be plenty for the decades ahead.

What will be most interesting on attendance is what it will like here when the schism finally occurs within FBS football and the Power Conferences pull away even more than they have now. If it gets G5s to regionally align, it could help attendance even more than it does today, even if we are permanently lower than the Power Conferences. I think UNT fans will still get a similar level of support for a Homecoming game against a team like UTEP in ten years, even if we aren't a team that plays in the highest level of NCAA football anymore, just because we would still be playing teams in the region that people care about today, unlike 35 years ago when the SWC was a top conference and we were now playing in a lower lever with schools like NE Louisiana, McNeese State, SFA, Southwest Texas, etc...who nobody cared an eff about. Playing Rice, UTSA, UTEP, La Tech, etc...they should help with attendance more this time than it did back in 1983 thru 1994.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Pluses: Homecoming, Weather, Clinch Western Div., Improve Bowl Profile, Remain Unbeaten At Home, Beatable Opponent, Revenge Factor, Opponent Has Lots Of Local Alumni

Minuses: Opponent Having Poor Season, Opponent's Fans May Be Unmotivated To Attend

My attendance prediction is: (inserts proprietary data into double-secret algorithm)

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, EagleMBA said:

Pluses: Homecoming, Weather, Clinch Western Div., Improve Bowl Profile, Remain Unbeaten At Home, Beatable Opponent, Revenge Factor, Opponent Has Lots Of Local Alumni

Minuses: Opponent Having Poor Season, Opponent's Fans May Be Unmotivated To Attend

My attendance prediction is: (inserts proprietary data into double-secret algorithm)

One of our past UNT A.D. staffers whose a regular poster on GMG.com made a comment that a drop of rain or sleet could affect our attendance and we've all seen that happen in the past. 

Saturday weather?  70 degrees at kickoff! :)

EagleMBA, this meme was sent to me by a lady friend from New Jersey whose now a full fledged Texan.  She thought it was funny & I got a little chuckle out of it, too. 

12592234_10201160166803739_6217955100738188189_n.jpg

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

SMUt's announced attendance for the game below:

Image result for smu football attendance

Pull the plug?  🙄  Remember that old thread from yester-year,  GMG.com veterans?

Part of me is sad to see this at any school in Texas--even SCHMOO. Getting mellow in my old age, I guess.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1