Time to put English on the shelf

Harry

I got this thought from a fan I correspond with and I agree -- With 9 games in -- it is probably time to move away from getting English on the field this season.  Let him rehab fully and come back in the spring.  Even if he has to burn a year wouldn't it be better for the long term to keep him out of contact? Thoughts?

6 minutes ago, the green rokemi said:

Only sit him if he can get a medical red shirt which I think he should. Otherwise get him some light rotational stuff, and unleash him in the bowl game

5 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

He already sat out a year at KState.  

He can only get a medical redshirt if he can prove he sat out for medical reasons for his first redshirt

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

He already sat out a year at KState.  

I think this is where Littrell is trying to contact "compliance" (I suppose this is the NCAA's eligibility compliance office?) to clarify.  Because on the surface, he redshirted at KSSt without injury, so he wouldn't be eligible for a medical hardship waiver for a 6th year...  However, if there is a way to parlay last season's denied family hardship waiver into this application for a medical waiver, maybe they can get it.   I'm betting that is their hope.
I just hope the NCAA hears it & decides quickly (highly doubtful).   If I were Littrell, I would plan on continuing to get him healthy enough to help at some point THIS YEAR.  Because if he's using a year of eligibility right now, you need to use him if he can help.   If he rehabs & STILL isn't in game shape, or not strong enough to help ahead of Young & Tauaalo, then I suppose you just let this season burn, and that really sucks for English.

Poor English if this waiver doesn't go through...   He'll only have 2 seasons to play out of 5 eligible years.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Poor English if this waiver doesn't go through...   He'll only have 2 seasons to play out of 5 eligible years.

Ugh, yes.  I still don't understand how he was denied the medical hardship waiver.   However, if he was denied that I don't see any reason why the NCAA would work with him on getting a medical redshirt now.   Coaches need to plan on him only being eligible through the 2019 season.

If he can help now, get him out there.   If he can't, shut him down and let him get ready for 2018.  

I honestly have mixed emotions. I know he could contribute if we could get him on the field in game shape. I give him credit for being a competitor that wants to be out there. My conflict is with my desire for his long-term well-being. If there is a chance that he is not quite recovered or if there is an increased risk of re-injury (could end his playing career if bad enough), then I want him to sit out. SL can play the NCAA Appeal Lottery and hope for the best for Mr. English.

• Upvote 1

Just now, EagleMBA said:

If there is a chance that he is not quite recovered or if there is an increased risk of re-injury (could end his playing career if bad enough), then I want him to sit out. 

He still has to be cleared by team doctors before he even gets to decide if he wants to try it this year.  No way the doctors would OK a player in that bad a shape coming back.  

4 minutes ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

I’d only put him in if the doctors and coaches agree he is 100% AND he’s gotten in enough practice time to gel with the starters. 

Oh, for sure.

I'm just saying, it sounds like Littrell would like to get the redshirt, so even if English was ready for the Conference championship game or the bowl game, Littrell would still shut him down.
If "compliance" does not get back to you in time, and he is cleared to play for, say Rice/C-USA championship... you gotta play him if he's ready & practicing at a level that is helpful OVER what Young & Tauaalo are giving you now.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Greendylan said:

Predictions:

1.  He will be denied a medical redshirt.

2.  North Texas won't receive the above decision until after the season.

We are due some luck on the hardship side.  Get the waiver. 

I don't trust the hardship process enough not to give him run in our possible/likely 5 remaining games if he's fit enough to contribute.

It's a broken foot, not a muscle or tendon issue...I'm not terribly concerned about his re-injuring it, certainly not where it'd endanger his career. 

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1

Our two most important games are about a month and more down the road. If the gets to being ready to go within the next three weeks and to play at least a little before the likely title game, we need to do that. The D-line could reaaallly use him, particularly if UNT is playing FAU again. Who knows when the next time is UNT is in a title game?

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, outoftown said:

Our two most important games are about a month and more down the road. If the gets to being ready to go within the next three weeks and to play at least a little before the likely title game, we need to do that. The D-line could reaaallly use him, particularly if UNT is playing FAU again. Who knows when the next time is UNT is in a title game?

I'd like to see him play this year as nothing is promised. There is enough meaningful season to play that I don't think he would be missing out. 

5 for sure important games > 12 *maybe* important games 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, aztecskin said:

I'd like to see him play this year as nothing is promised. There is enough meaningful season to play that I don't think he would be missing out. 

5 for sure important games > 12 *maybe* important games 

If he is ready for Army I say let him play,  I would love to have him for the a possible  conference championship game and bowl. If he not going to be ready keep him out and see about a medical hardship waiver.