North Texas draws Texas in first round

Salsa_Verde

North Texas played a tight game earlier in the season and came up short 1-0 on a late goal. Could we see an upset? I remain hopeful

http://www.meangreensports.com/sports/w-soccer/spec-rel/110617aaa.html

Edited by Salsa_Verde
  • Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

23 minutes ago, outoftown said:

Talk about consistently getting hosed by the selection. Rice at least got a semi managable one by playing at Baylor. Can't help but think that either that or drawing Okie State is the draw UNT should've had.

Rice is ranked 34th in the nation I believe while North Texas is ranked 65th. Regardless...I would have thought winning the conference tournament would have earned a better position...surely better than Rice? 

Edited by Salsa_Verde

2 hours ago, outoftown said:

Talk about consistently getting hosed by the selection. Rice at least got a semi managable one by playing at Baylor. Can't help but think that either that or drawing Okie State is the draw UNT should've had.

RIce 36 vs Baylor 34

NT 65 vs TX 12

Actually makes seeding sense.  The problem is why they think NT is number 65, while they have Rice at 34. 

NT not only won the conference tournament, they tied Rice head to head. 

Both teams lost 3 games, both lost to UT by 1 goal.  NT lost to number 41 Arkansas and Rice to number 50 Memphis.  In conference, NT lost to ODU and Rice to Charlotte. 

NT did have 2 more ties to go with 2 more wins, but does that account for a 29 spot rating differential?

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

2 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

RIce 36 vs Baylor 34

NT 65 vs TX 12

Actually makes seeding sense.  The problem is why they think NT is number 65, while they have Rice at 34. 

Both teams lost 3 games, both lost to UT by 1 goal.  NT lost to number 41 Arkansas and Rice to number 50 Memphis.  In conference, NT lost to ODU and Rice to Charlotte. 

NT did have 2 more ties to go with 2 more wins, but does that account for a 29 spot rating differential?

Maybe playing Houston Baptist and late replacement game Mid-American Christian University hurt North Texas in RPI? But I completely agree that winning the conference tournament should bring more of a payoff in my opinion.  

11 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

RIce 36 vs Baylor 34

NT 65 vs TX 12

It absolutely does not account for that. Sick and tired of these pollsters overlooking UNT. We could beat the number one team and somehow we would only move up one spot while the number one team drops one.

Not to be debbie downer, but I am never confident with a Hedlund team in the tournament.  And, I am really not confident with this one. 

He is a good coach that gets it done in the regular season. But, his long ball style of play really lacks possession, creativity and smart movement seems to impede our ability to get it done when it matters most.  His tournament record indicates that as well since he has never won a tournament game even when playing lesser teams like SMU or Texas Tech in the tournament.  

I hope I am wrong this time and we get a win. But, we tend to play messy.  Watching the CUSA championship showed it was no different than in the past.

I hope it goes differently this time.  

16 minutes ago, Travis said:

Not to be debbie downer, but I am never confident with a Hedlund team in the tournament.  And, I am really not confident with this one. 

He is a good coach that gets it done in the regular season. But, his long ball style of play really lacks possession, creativity and smart movement seems to impede our ability to get it done when it matters most.  His tournament record indicates that as well since he has never won a tournament game even when playing lesser teams like SMU or Texas Tech in the tournament.  

I hope I am wrong this time and we get a win. But, we tend to play messy.  Watching the CUSA championship showed it was no different than in the past.

I hope it goes differently this time.  

The 18th-ranked Big12 champ was a "lesser team"?   You could maybe argue this about an hour before gametime that day... but not after Kerestein (a HOF'er) went down with an injury. 
NT still hung tough that day, because that 'long-ball' style worked well with the very stout NT defense winning the ball & countering to the incredibly-fast, prolific scorer Rachel Holden.

3 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

NT still hung tough that day, because that 'long-ball' style worked well with the very stout NT defense winning the ball & countering to the incredibly-fast, prolific scorer Rachel Holden.

Texas Tech got 3rd place in the Big 12 in a really weak conference that year.  Their fourth place team went 8-10-2 that year. They weren't ranked 18th in the nation - they were 25th at the end and that was only because of them getting to the second round (by beating us because we played with long ball).  

The long ball didn't work well.  We lost 2-0 and we didn't look good that game.  We didn't do anything and had very little, if any, scoring opportunities.  Our style of play lacks creativity against equal or greater skill teams and is likened to throwing it deep (hail mary) every time. Teams do not go far with that kind of play.  It also is the easiest to contain and defend against. 

History shows we don't win in the tournament and that is because of our style.  Hell, we were lucky just to win CUSA this year. That finals game was ugly.