CUSA Bowl Projections

greeneagle1

26 minutes ago, MeanGreenSailor09 said:

I didn't know about but the postseason ban, but with Ole Miss I'm not surprised. More often than not, with 6-6 P5 teams, their bowls are very local. It was between Arkansas and Ole Miss, and with Arkansas still having to play LSU and Miss St, I don't think they would be in. And I'm not sure that a 6-6 ACC team would want to make the trip to Shreveport. However, with Mizzou, Tennessee, and Vandy all at 4-5 and with each other to play, one of them will pillow fight their way to 6-6 and might be interested in the Independence bowl (but more likely the Liberty Bowl due to travel).

I just really want to see UNT in a bowl other than the Steve Martin's Penis Beauty Cream Middle Of Nowhere Bowl.

I believe this one has MWC VS MAC tie-ins, so thankfully, we're not going there!

I really doubt Tennessee goes bowling.  Arkansas' road is even tougher.

Kentucky & South Carolina are already bowl eligible, and Mizzou's schedule looks easy enough.   If for some reason the 3 bubble ACC teams falter, and the SEC gets theirs, I wouldn't be surprised to see Mizzou or Kentucky in the Indy Bowl... if UNT can get to the C-USA championship game, then I wouldn't be surprised to see us there either, since my previous prediction of HoD VS Texas Tech won't happen because Tech can't hold up their end of the bargain.   So, if it is indeed the HoD for us, it'll likely be KSSt.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, southsideguy said:

problem for the new mexico bowl we get less time to practice before the bowl game.  it is one of the first bowl games.  Like to have the extra time for next years team and everyone get back to full strength

If I remember correctly, doesn't the NCAA say that you can only have a certain number of practices before a bowl game? So timing is irrelevant -- schools are allowed the same number of practices no matter if it's an early bowl or a late one.

1 hour ago, southsideguy said:

problem for the new mexico bowl we get less time to practice before the bowl game.  it is one of the first bowl games.  Like to have the extra time for next years team and everyone get back to full strength

Per NCAA regulations, you get 2 weeks to practice for your bowl, regardless of when the game is played.   The NM Bowl (Dec. 16) is exactly 2 weeks after the C-USA championship game... which is already 1 extra week of practice too!

21 minutes ago, Green Lantern said:

Only someone who’s never experienced the New Orleans Bowl would leave the “confused” rep to the above statement. I feel sorry for that individual.

Kids these days...don't know their history.

can we make shirts again?

When the season first started and many of us were saying 6-6 or 7-5, I think the NO Bowl and New Mexico Bowl were ones we could be targeting.   Now, staring down the barrel of a top 2 finish in C-USA with a C-USA championship possibility, we need to look past those bowls to bigger ones.   
It would look really bad for C-USA to have our champion (or runner-up if it's FAU!) pit against the SBC champion in the N.O. Bowl ("hey! we're on the same level as y'all! ...not better or anything!")  And heaven help us if the virtually-home team beat us down there.   I think the NO Bowl is virtually locked in as ARSt. VS USM/UAB.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

15 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

When the season first started and many of us were saying 6-6 or 7-5, I think the NO Bowl and New Mexico Bowl were ones we could be targeting.   Now, staring down the barrel of a top 2 finish in C-USA with a C-USA championship possibility, we need to look past those bowls to bigger ones.   
It would look really bad for C-USA to have our champion (or runner-up if it's FAU!) pit against the SBC champion in the N.O. Bowl ("hey! we're on the same level as y'all! ...not better or anything!")  And heaven help us if the virtually-home team beat us down there.   I think the NO Bowl is virtually locked in as ARSt. VS USM/UAB.

hey. shut up.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

On 11/7/2017 at 11:55 AM, MeanGreenDadx2 said:

So a chance to join the Big 10 where all schools have an equal say and share the money equally was too good not to pass up.

This still boils down to money.  Nebraska is not getting their full share of Big 10 revenue until next year or 2019 I believe.  And yes UT took a lion share because they could and ESPN offered.  The blame lays on all the schools that left the Big 12 and short sighted vision they had when they created the conference.  Same scenario without the LHN.  But ultimately it is the NCAA’s fault and no vision from the the member schools to do what is best for the athletes and all fans.  These mega conferences are terrible for all the other sports.  And NCAA Basketball with their conference tournaments and 68 team national title tournament make the regular season pointless.  And if they expand the FBS playoffs to much further they will do the same to regular season college football.  Then all but the biggest rivalry regular season games will generate interest.  But they have killed so many of them already chasing money in conference realignment.

Nebraska started receiving a full share this year.

As a member of the Big 12, Nebraska received a larger share of the income than most of the other members.

It was not all about the money.  Yes, it was a major factor but the academic benefits and the equality in the decision making was also major factors.

Why are we talking about Nebraska?  

I think we are going to see UNT, SMU, and Houston in the 3 DFW bowls.  We know Army is in the Fort Worth bowl.  I don't think they are going to match UNT vs Army again, weeks after they just played in DFW.  So that puts us in the Heart of Dallas or Frisco bowl.

44 minutes ago, shaft said:

I think we are going to see UNT, SMU, and Houston in the 3 DFW bowls.  We know Army is in the Fort Worth bowl.  I don't think they are going to match UNT vs Army again, weeks after they just played in DFW.  So that puts us in the Heart of Dallas or Frisco bowl.

The way ESPN or whoever is in charge of Bowl matchups changes teams around, I hope theyd get us a different opponent than Army & put us in the Armed Services Bowl.  Far less empty seats at ACS than Fair Park.  

New Orleans Bowl matchup is interesting, too, if it's U of Louisiana Rajun Cajuns as the opponent. Instant crowd.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Lovely Take 1

14 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Why are people hoping for new Orleans bowl vs a sun belt team? We are in a position to finish top 2 in the conference. Shouldn't we hope for a better bowl against a better opponent?

Agreed. Hopefully we can position ourselves to get the most exposure by playing a P5 team no matter which bowl it is. Some of our fans are looking for a destination for themselves rather than looking big picture for UNT.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

16 hours ago, shaft said:

I think the conference champion HAS to go to a bowl with a direct tie-in with C-USA. So if we win the C-USA championship I think we're headed to New Mexico or NOLA. If we don't win conference then I bet we end up in the HoD Bowl again. 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

Are we sure we want a P-5 team this year?  We lost to one and were beat like drum against SMU and FAU (non-P5 teams).

We lost to one on a pretty good game.
We lost to SMU because of some bone-headed plays against Sutton.  SMU probably the 3rd-best team in the AAC right now.
We lost to FAU (I swear people... stop bringing this game up...) because the team was DISINTERESTED IN PLAYING A FOOTBALL GAME that day.  I could have sworn this was rather obvious.

I think we'll match up well against a middling P5 school who would likely show up to a "2nd Tier" bowl game VS UNT almost as disinterested as we showed up to Boca Raton last month.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

We lost to one on a pretty good game.
We lost to SMU because of some bone-headed plays against Sutton.  SMU probably the 3rd-best team in the AAC right now.
We lost to FAU (I swear people... stop bringing this game up...) because the team was DISINTERESTED IN PLAYING A FOOTBALL GAME that day.  I could have sworn this was rather obvious.

I think we'll match up well against a middling P5 school who would likely show up to a "2nd Tier" bowl game VS UNT almost as disinterested as we showed up to Boca Raton last month.

I hope you are right I am wrong.

• Lovely Take 1