CUSA Bowl Projections

greeneagle1

7 hours ago, untbowler said:

wow shocked at the line, probably should be maybe -14 max. 

Waiting on the offense to take off and score points in bundles against non- 2nd and 3rd Stringers

Hope Defense comes out ready to layout UTEP.

i don't care how much history the CB has it is a dumb, even the parking lot is a dump. It is to big and the stadium looks pretty empty when we play there. We should have kept fouts if is all about history.

Edited by southsideguy
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

27 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

i don't care how much history the CB has it is a dumb, even the parking lot is a dump. It is to big and the stadium looks pretty empty when we play there.

I totally agree. It's in bad shape. Fair Park is terrible. I'm happy for us to go to a bowl but if we have a options the CB is awful.

I know some people hate the idea of playing in a sold out Frisco Bowl but it looks bad playing in a half full stadium. It would be very one sided if we played in a smaller venue like Toyota Stadium. We'd own that place.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, southsideguy said:

glad we would be playing a team from sea level.  Albuquerque is 1 mile high so air is short supply if your not use to it.

Not  to worry as it's a bowl game. Regular games the team flys in the day or or night before. But you're there nearly a week before a bowl game. Plenty of time to start adapting. At least far more time than a regular season game!

22 hours ago, TheColonyEagle said:

Just thinking us beating a down Nebraska or 6-6 Cal or 6-6 rebuilding Minnesota, etc. would "look" better. 

Oh beating Nebraska would be so sweet.  Their fans are just as entitled as Longhorns, and A&M fans.  They all broke up a very entertaining conference and great rivalries with delusions of being Alabama.  Problem is only one of them has the resources to do that since NCAA reforms in the 80s and 90s.  I would love to kick the crap out of any of the 3.  And if it were UT or A&M great smack talk opportunity: “ Hey if you can’t stand playing and losing to UNT maybe you should play your candy ass greedy in-state rival.  Lol”

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

54 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

Oh beating Nebraska would be so sweet.  Their fans are just as entitled as Longhorns, and A&M fans.  They all broke up a very entertaining conference and great rivalries with delusions of being Alabama.  Problem is only one of them has the resources to do that since NCAA reforms in the 80s and 90s.  I would love to kick the crap out of any of the 3.  And if it were UT or A&M great smack talk opportunity: “ Hey if you can’t stand playing and losing to UNT maybe you should play your candy ass greedy in-state rival.  Lol”

@MeanGreenDadx2 wanna fill people in on why Nebraska really left the Big 12?

2 hours ago, UNTFan23 said:

@MeanGreenDadx2 wanna fill people in on why Nebraska really left the Big 12?

Nebraska's chancellor  was warned of the upcoming conference reorganisation and was told that NU likely could be left standing alone.  Proactively, he contacted the Penn State chancellor and asked if the Big 10 would be interested. The rest as they say is history. 

Nebraska was dissatisfied with Texas running the conference and the other schools kowtowing to Texas.  Remember the Big 8 formed the Big 12 with 4 schools of the Southwest conference. So a chance to join the Big 10 where all schools have an equal say and share the money equally was too good not to pass up. Plus the Big 10 has an outstanding academic sharing program and private high speed network among the member schools that was and still is unique to the Big 10.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I honestly can't figure out why bowl projections even exist.  It's not like the old days where the Big 10 winner would play the Pac-10 winner in the Rose Bowl.  There is little rhyme or reason for any of the bowl placements anymore.  It's damn near random, so just sit back, relax, and wait for the invitation to arrive.  We'll go where we go. 

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, Hunter Green said:

Sorry if this has been covered before, but what bowl does the CUSA champion play in? Is it an automatic invitation, or just goes to the highest rated one?

This is the best I can find:

No set order for Conference USA bowls. Champion will choose which bowl it wants to attend.

Boca Raton Bowl vs. American Athletic
 Gildan New Mexico Bowl vs. Mountain West
– Bad Boy Mowers Gasparilla vs. American Athletic
 Bahamas Bowl vs. MAC
 R&L Carriers New Orleans Bowl vs. Sun Belt
 Zaxby’s Heart of Dallas Bowl vs. Big 12
 Camping World Independence Bowl
Conditional if ACC or SEC can’t fill a spot.

However, the Heart of Dallas website says that the game is B1G vs. Big 12, so I don't know if CUSA is correct in saying it has a tie-in to HOD anymore, leaving us with a whopping five for sure bowl games, none of which are for sure against P5 opponents. 

In all honesty, outside the Heart of Dallas and Independence, I've never really even heard of any of these games.  It's good I guess that the number of bowl games has increased so much that we know for sure we're bowling in early November, but some of the luster has certainly worn off for me.  It's hard for me to get excited about playing Wyoming in the Bahama Bowl in front of 12,000 people (last year's approximate attendance). 

17 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

This is the best I can find:

However, the Heart of Dallas website says that the game is B1G vs. Big 12, so I don't know if CUSA is correct in saying it has a tie-in to HOD anymore, leaving us with a whopping five for sure bowl games, none of which are for sure against P5 opponents. 

In all honesty, outside the Heart of Dallas and Independence, I've never really even heard of any of these games.  It's good I guess that the number of bowl games has increased so much that we know for sure we're bowling in early November, but some of the luster has certainly worn off for me.  It's hard for me to get excited about playing Wyoming in the Bahama Bowl in front of 12,000 people (last year's approximate attendance). 

That must be from last year or older since the HoD is not affiliated with C-USA (instead it's the Armed Forces Bowl), and the Independence Bowl has a new sponsor.

All that to say, ESPN owns just about all of the bowls, so they can move pieces around if they so choose to get matchups they want.    I wouldn't really hold them to any of these, especially if some of the P5 conferences can't fill their spots.

Just now, MeanGreenTexan said:

That must be from last year or older since the HoD is not affiliated with C-USA (instead it's the Armed Forces Bowl), and the Independence Bowl has a new sponsor.

All that to say, ESPN owns just about all of the bowls, so they can move pieces around if they so choose to get matchups they want.    I wouldn't really hold them to any of these, especially if some of the P5 conferences can't fill their spots.

I was aware of the HOD thing, and am perplexed that CUSA website still has it listed.  I checked the date and everything to make sure it was current year.  Somebody in the home office isn't updating correctly.  

But like you said, ESPN owns all of them, so "tie-ins" are largely irrelevant or we would've played a B1G team in 2013.  That game showed me that affiliations outside the playoff and NY6 (even those tie-ins really aren't anymore) are meaningless. 

Regarding the Independence Bowl...

The current tie-ins are SEC VS ACC.  Both conferences list this bowl in their "Second Tier".

If things currently hold, and BOTH Georgia and Alabama play in the CFP, the SEC is almost certain to NOT fill all of their other 9 bowl tie-ins.
So for SEC tie-ins, the "Second Tier" bowls: Birmingham Bowl & Independence Bowl would BOTH be in play here.

The ACC is looking like it could possibly fill all of it's tie-ins this year, even if Clemson or Miami get in the CFP. 
BC, Louisville & Wake Forest only need 1 more win to qualify.

I'd love to meet BC or Wake in the Independence Bowl.    I want absolutely nothing to do with Lamar Jackson.
As for the ACC tie-ins, the Quick Lane Bowl may also be in play... and that would suck.  But I believe the ACC will fill all of their bowls.

2 minutes ago, MeanGreenSailor09 said:

9-4 UNT vs 6-6 Ole Miss in the Independence Bowl

Mark it down

Well, can't be Ole Miss because they are under a self-imposed post season ban this year.

However, even if you think we'll play a SEC team like Mizzou or Kentucky in this bowl, it would mean you don't think the ACC can get their spots filled, even though Louisville, BC & Wake all lack 1 win with 3 to play.
You must also think the SEC only gets 1 team in the CFP & somehow sees several teams that are sitting at 4 wins get 2 more with 3 games left.   I suppose it's possible, but unlikely.

• Thanks 1

None of them "bowl" me over, but I'll take any one of them.  If the Independence Bowl has a SEC or ACC tie in, then I'm all over that!

Here's the current bowl tie ins with CUSA.

http://conferenceusa.com/sports/2016/7/1/sports-m-footbl-spec-rel-bowl-partners-15-html.aspx

2 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Well, can't be Ole Miss because they are under a self-imposed post season ban this year.

However, even if you think we'll play a SEC team like Mizzou or Kentucky in this bowl, it would mean you don't think the ACC can get their spots filled, even though Louisville, BC & Wake all lack 1 win with 3 to play.
You must also think the SEC only gets 1 team in the CFP & somehow sees several teams that are sitting at 4 wins get 2 more with 3 games left.   I suppose it's possible, but unlikely.

I didn't know about but the postseason ban, but with Ole Miss I'm not surprised. More often than not, with 6-6 P5 teams, their bowls are very local. It was between Arkansas and Ole Miss, and with Arkansas still having to play LSU and Miss St, I don't think they would be in. And I'm not sure that a 6-6 ACC team would want to make the trip to Shreveport. However, with Mizzou, Tennessee, and Vandy all at 4-5 and with each other to play, one of them will pillow fight their way to 6-6 and might be interested in the Independence bowl (but more likely the Liberty Bowl due to travel).

I just really want to see UNT in a bowl other than the Steve Martin's Penis Beauty Cream Middle Of Nowhere Bowl.