Focusing on the positives from ODU win

Harry

Just now, BTG_Fan1 said:

The defense held them under 400 yards (386) and forced some turnovers.. and only allowed 24 points.. Not great but a huge improved from them normally allowing 35+ like they had allowed...

ST needs to be cleaned back up...

50 points and 500 yards of offense would've been significant improvement from last Saturday. haha 

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 3

18 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

The resiliency of the defense to finally buckle down & hold them when it mattered most (not once, but twice) was another bright spot for me.

Wish they had that same focus/desire earlier in the game.

They gave up 2 TDs?? I'm so confused why anyone is mad at the defense. 

• Upvote 5
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

They gave up 2 TDs?? I'm so confused why anyone is mad at the defense. 

2 TD's though true, but 24 points total given up by the defense. 

I think people, myself included, are upset because of the flow of the game was dictated by their offense controlling the game and chewing up yards. And they almost won the game by doing this if it weren't for our defense actually getting a spine there at the end. 

We let a team that averages 19 ppg (not sure how they get those 19 points), score 38 versus us (0r 24 on the defense). We let said team rush 54 yards over their game average and pass for 21 yards over their average. They only gained 386 yards and still went over their average. So that should tell you they aren't very good, at all. They rushed the ball 48 times tonight. No team rushes for 48 attempts unless they have a comfortable lead trying to ice the game or having a lot of success at it. Special teams made this a game in the first half. But our 3rd quarter defense made it a full game. 

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 2

13 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

I think people, myself included, are upset because of the flow of the game was dictated by their offense controlling the game and chewing up yards. And they almost won the game by doing this if it weren't for our defense actually getting a spine there at the end. 

We let a team that averages 19 ppg (not sure how they get those 19 points), score 38 versus us (0r 24 on the defense). We let said team rush 54 yards over their game average and pass for 21 yards over their average. They only gained 386 yards and still went over their average. So that should tell you they aren't very good, at all. They rushed the ball 48 times tonight. No team rushes for 48 attempts unless they have a comfortable lead trying to ice the game or having a lot of success at it. Special teams made this a game in the first half. But our 3rd quarter defense made it a full game. 

Wow.  I'm not sure I can keep saying this any different way.  They averaged 19 a game, we surrendered 24 and KO coverage team (HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE DEFENSE) gave up 14 getting to their 38.  They have a solid freshman QB who hasn't played some very good teams including some of the top CUSA teams and is going to get better and more comfortable.  Just can't follow the it's the defenses fault, logic.  3 of those 24 came on a turnover they returned and were already in Field Goal range before they snapped the ball one time.  So one could argue defense really gave up 21. I know that doesn't fit the sky is falling UNT sucks agenda being pushed though, carry on. 

Edited by GMG24
  • Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1

10 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

I will tell you why the defense gave up the points.  The special teams on the kickoff team.  If they did not have those two big plays we would have put away from this team at half time.  Also the fumbles deep in our territory only resulted in field goals.  The defense did their job but the special teams failed us.  If we had that big lead at half time OD would have been force to go to the pass and they were not that great at passing.  I will give a big shout out to the defense about how they handled the swing passes and the screens last night.  I think all the swing passes and screens ended up as loss of yards or an int. In previous games the swing passes killed us.  

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1