Attendance

meangreenacct

7 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

Oh, I don’t know , maybe we could use size, talent, resources, and history as possible concepts to base our decisions😂

Nope. Once a spread comes out on this I may take you up on that pending how much disrespect we're shown in the line. But I'm not outright going W/L. 

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, NM Green said:

There are no more students at the tailgate.  The hall monitors took the fun off the hill.  My niece from twu and her friends hang out with us because our tailgate is more fun and they wonder where the students are like years gone past.  

The gastapo sits down there in the lower lot excited to make their rounds through the evildoers and then parade them as an example of why you should avoid the little red cup. 

It’s weitd seeing the hill so manicures and empty on game day. 

GMG

The Hill used to be a huge deal. Fraternities would camp out just to get the perfect spot. Now? Just a hill. 

2 hours ago, NM Green said:

There are no more students at the tailgate.  The hall monitors took the fun off the hill.  My niece from twu and her friends hang out with us because our tailgate is more fun and they wonder where the students are like years gone past.  

The gastapo sits down there in the lower lot excited to make their rounds through the evildoers and then parade them as an example of why you should avoid the little red cup. 

It’s weitd seeing the hill so manicures and empty on game day. 

GMG

Yeah this is such dumb shit, they screwed with anyone drinking on the hill and checked everyone's id. Like they were amazed college students drank alcohol . Handing out MIPs taking their fun away and then wonder why there is no students coming. What do you expect?

2 hours ago, EagleMBA said:

Attendance was embarrassing and underwhelming. I haven't seen an official number but this looked and felt like the worst this year.

There is no way it was more than 7000, and someone was pointing our AD has kept a bunch of people on the staff that is kind of poisoning the well also. I am still amazed that we did not completely clean house. 

Then have a game against Halloween Parties, Alliance Airshow, two embarrassing loses this season, a no name team, the pissed off students, a history of not doing what it takes to fix the problem, history of losing, cold, id checking on the hill and walkways the list goes on and on. But if you are on GMG at all you are more than a casual fan to begin with. It such a fragile thing in many ways because our hardcore fan base it simply not big enough to take so many hits.  

I think UNT needs to follow the Aggie's example of fish camp. We need to have that mandatory freshman/incoming students indoctrination say at a camp site on lake Ray Roberts for a three day spirit class (Green Camp? Eaglet Camp?)  that allows these students to bond with each other and get a bit of the spirit brainwashing like ATM does. It simply ties more people to stronger connections to their school later in life. Which mean more donations.  

4 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

And you will be first in line to bitch if we lose, if the kids don't play to win, or if the coaching staff plays it safe.

Nah, I just ask that we get out of those games what they are meant to be—a haul of cash. I believe I can point this out in my history of posting here that these bodybag games are best if we don’t get a ton of people hurt and we don’t have the check bounce.

6 hours ago, shaft said:

Official Attendance: Attendance: 18,872

On a cold, windy day.  Against a no name team.

Maybe the sky isn't falling.

It looked like 17k from my view

5 hours ago, KingDL1 said:

Yeah this is such dumb shit, they screwed with anyone drinking on the hill and checked everyone's id. Like they were amazed college students drank alcohol . Handing out MIPs taking their fun away and then wonder why there is no students coming. What do you expect?

There is no way it was more than 7000, and someone was pointing our AD has kept a bunch of people on the staff that is kind of poisoning the well also. I am still amazed that we did not completely clean house. 

Then have a game against Halloween Parties, Alliance Airshow, two embarrassing loses this season, a no name team, the pissed off students, a history of not doing what it takes to fix the problem, history of losing, cold, id checking on the hill and walkways the list goes on and on. But if you are on GMG at all you are more than a casual fan to begin with. It such a fragile thing in many ways because our hardcore fan base it simply not big enough to take so many hits.  

I think UNT needs to follow the Aggie's example of fish camp. We need to have that mandatory freshman/incoming students indoctrination say at a camp site on lake Ray Roberts for a three day spirit class (Green Camp? Eaglet Camp?)  that allows these students to bond with each other and get a bit of the spirit brainwashing like ATM does. It simply ties more people to stronger connections to their school later in life. Which mean more donations.  

They the police take a look in my truck to see if anyone is close in age

to ID for drinking. Just me officer.

• Confused 1

The problem with the frats has never been whether they show up on the hill or are excited to be there...the problem is that they are so excited to be there that they stay there all game.  I don't care that they no longer show up to the outdoor bar at Apogee instead of the indoor bars on Fry Street...either way they don't show up to a football game

Edited by emmitt01
  • Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

8 hours ago, shaft said:

Official Attendance: Attendance: 18,872

On a cold, windy day.  Against a no name team.

Maybe the sky isn't falling.

Absolutely, positively, no way we had that kind of crowd.  8 to 9,000 would be closer to actual attendance.

Edited by DeepGreen
  • Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

The problem with the frats has never been whether they show up on the hill or are excited to be there...the problem is that they are so excited to be there that they stay there all game.  I don't care that they no longer show up to the outdoor bar at Apogee instead of the indoor bars on Fry Street...either way they don't show up to a football game

I disagree.  I’d rather have them on the Hill.  It enhances the pregame atmosphere.  Now when you walk up it feels like less of an event with the Hill so empty.  Whether or not those kids enter the gates of Apogee is a secondary concern at this point. 

I haven’t seen student attendance that low since the 90s.  Whatever changed this year needs to rolled back immediately.

• Upvote 5

Maybe it is a Denton problem.  I drove by the sports complex friday night (not sure who was playing there) but it looked like about 50 people on the visitor's side and maybe 200 on the home side.  Thought Texas football was king?  Don't forget the day of the dead was on Saturday  as well and it was packed.  They can't do both in the same day i guess.  When i was a student i didnt care who were playing, i just knew there was a game and wonder over to Fouts' field to watch the game and the hot chicks.  Does SL attend the freshman orientation like mac did.  We had better turn out of students under mac then we have now and were bad with the exception of the one season.

I don't mind playing Arny , the games are always entertaining.

• Downvote 1

14 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

"Get rid of Fouts and we'll come"

Built a $78 million stadium

"Get rid of Dodge/Dickey/McCarney and we'll come"

Fired

"Play teams we know and we'll come"

In a conference with THREE Texas teams, and have Army at home

"Win and we'll come"

We have a winning record and control our path to the conference title game

The truth is our "fan"base is a bunch of whiny lil' bitches

The truth is we have a very small "fan base".  We have always had a core of hardcore fans which is about 5,000 that will come to virtually every home game no matter what.   You have another 5,000 that are generally loyal but can be discouraged and find other things to do for really bad weather, a really bad unknown opponent, or a bad Mean Green team.  The rest are causals that are just like Dallas Mavericks fans.  Meaning that when they are in a championship run and everything is virtually perfect surrounding the game day experience you will get sellouts.

8 hours ago, KingDL1 said:

I absolutely love this idea and I would make a donation of my time, money, and other resources to get that going.  

Also this also reminds me the that Alumni Pavilion desperately need expansion.  It was a little cramped even for this game that had very poor attendance.   I think the entertaining floor space needs to be doubled.  Also I think a full professional kitchen needs to be added.  There is a culinary arts program that could use it for training and other alumni events beyond game days.

http://baas.hps.unt.edu/about-baas/transfer-students/culinary-artschef-training-formerly-cula

5 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

The truth is we have a very small "fan base".  We have always had a core of hardcore fans which is about 5,000 that will come to virtually every home game no matter what.   You have another 5,000 that are generally loyal but can be discouraged and find other things to do for really bad weather, a really bad unknown opponent, or a bad Mean Green team.  The rest are causals that are just like Dallas Mavericks fans.  Meaning that when they are in a championship run and everything is virtually perfect surrounding the game day experience you will get sellouts.

I absolutely love this idea and I would make a donation of my time, money, and other resources to get that going.  

Also this also reminds me the that Alumni Pavilion desperately need expansion.  It was a little cramped even for this game that had very poor attendance.   I think the entertaining floor space needs to be doubled.  Also I think a full professional kitchen needs to be added.  There is a culinary arts program that could use it for training and other alumni events beyond game days.

http://baas.hps.unt.edu/about-baas/transfer-students/culinary-artschef-training-formerly-cula

They tried "Eagle Camp" when I was a student.  I headed it up on behalf of Talons and we taught sudents te fight song, alma mater, and did bonding exercises.  

Don't know if they continued it, but they should have if they didn't

8 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

They tried "Eagle Camp" when I was a student.  I headed it up on behalf of Talons and we taught sudents te fight song, alma mater, and did bonding exercises.  

Don't know if they continued it, but they should have if they didn't

Looks like it is still going on.  But is is optional.  I think it should be mandatory for all incoming freshmen and new transferring in sophomores in on campus housing.   Quote from webpage below.

Eagle Camp is a 3-day optional experience and tradition for incoming students that takes place at Camp Copass.

Mandatory for all entering on campus housing freshmen enter summer or fall semesters.  The same for transferring in sophomores who are living on campus.  If sophomores or freshmen want to avoid it, they can start their semester in the spring.

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

The truth is our "fan"base is a bunch of whiny lil' bitches

Been saying this for the 30 years I have followed North Texas Football. UNT fans keep waiting for Notre Dame to announce they are transferring their football team to Denton for a ready made program to follow. Can't build that on our own....nahhh.  Too much effort involved. And then comes the 100% every time and every year response from UNT students and alum..."uhh..I'm a Comboys fan". 

• Upvote 1

I don't think we're in the midst of an attendance crisis.  When you compare the announced attendance average from last year (19,838) to this year (20,419 through 4 games), we seem to be improving.  Also, we had some unusual circumstances this year that limited the numbers for our home opener, and we still have the upcoming Army game, which could end up being our best attended of the season.

I don't know where some of you are getting the impression that we only had 7,000-10,000 or so there.  At kickoff--maybe.  The student side filled out quite a bit by the second quarter--and then subsequently deflated throughout a chilly second half.  That's not a great look, of course, but the peak attendance was probably close to the announced 18,872.

48 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

The rest are causals that are just like Dallas Mavericks fans.  Meaning that when they are in a championship run and everything is virtually perfect surrounding the game day experience you will get sellouts.

Bingo.

Is more than just the culture at UNT. It's the DFW sports culture as a whole. Most of our students are DFW locals. Bandwagoning is ingrained from birth here.

That's why I keep saying that we have to have sustained 9-10+ win seasons with wins over top 25 teams to turn attendance around. Until then, we will have attendance woes like the Stars, Mavs and Rangers do now. There's no sense bitching about attendance until that happens.

The DFW market expects a lot out of their sports teams, it's just the way it is.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

There is no way we beat Arkansas or a&m in the years ahead...no way.

So here's the deal...Hogs under BB right now are awful.  Doubt he makes it to year 6 but if he does, and this UNT team continues the upward projection as they are so far under SL (I know we barely bean 2-5 ODU at home) they will have a great shot to win next year in Arkansas.  Will they?  Maybe not, but a heck of a better shot than in previous times. 

Poor attendance is certainly not unique to us but perhaps a sign of the times. If you look at the announced attendance of almost any G5 game, with a few exceptions such as BYU and the service academies, it starts at about 20K and below.  The MAC schools are lucky to see 10K.

2 hours ago, aztecskin said:

No one ever comes out for the Halloween weekend game. We need to schedule these at 2:30pm. Then the kids will come, and THEN go to the parties. They spent a lot of money trying to be Sexy Non Trademark Infringing Character after all. 

Schedule it anytime between 11-2:30.  But I have never understood our scheduling of times.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, GoMeanGreen1999 said:

Schedule it anytime between 11-2:30.  But I have never understood our scheduling of times.

I don't see how this really helps. Then you'll have people say that they can't come because they have other commitments w/their kids activities etc during the day.  I really don't think moving the time helps.  I've been to plenty of parties in my life and I and everyone on this board very well know that things don't start happening til late.  The game ended around 9pm last night...people could have come and went straight to the party after the game if they wanted.  Heck if they needed to get ready they could still go home, dress up and be at their party no later than 10:30.  I just think it's overthinking things....unless we were undefeated or had 1 loss I'm not sure attendance is all that much better last night.

• Upvote 1