Feeling a little guilty about my deal with the devil

Harry

Can’t help but think my desperation to win the Texas at San Antonio game in some way led to the disastrous outcome against FAU.  In hindsight, and despite the painful 69, I probably would still have taken that deal and considered it a bargain.

I agree.  I would challenge all to look at their preseason predictions of how they thought this season would play out and would be disappointed to be sitting a game above .500 right now and in position to win the west.  I must admit, i am sorry the 69 was painful.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Haha 1

Agreed. I had NT with a losing record this year. Looks like they’ll probably finish at or above .500. I’ll take it as a sure sign of progress. Just hate seeing the team get obliterated by a conference mate. Typical NT, just when you think we may have turned that corner....

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Got5onIt said:

Agreed. I had NT with a losing record this year. Looks like they’ll probably finish at or above .500. I’ll take it as a sure sign of progress. Just hate seeing the team get obliterated by a conference mate. Typical NT, just when you think we may have turned that corner....

I had them going 8-5 with the bowl game win, but I thought the 5 losses would be SMU, Iowa, USM, UTSA, and LaTech. I didn't see FAU coming at all.

It is only one game and overall NT is still in good position.   However, I can't brush away the worst defeat I have ever seen NT suffer with a well, this happens.   

Looking back over a long history of NT losses that I witnessed.   What I considered the worst were getting thrashed by a re-started SMU team a week after they had just had over 100 points put on them by Houston.  Then recently the Rice game where they scored 70 and like FAU, it could have been a lot more.  Then the Portland State debacle. 

The difference is few thought any of those NT teams were good.   The FAU game was between two supposedly closely matched teams in a very meaningful game.  This score would have been your worst nightmare if it occurred in one of NT's for cash games against a national power like Alabama. 

I was an optimistic fan, predicting NT goes 7-5 and obviously that is still a possibility.  However, to me that has nothing to do with the total football disaster that occurred against FAU.

5 hours ago, Venson said:

I had them going 8-5 with the bowl game win, but I thought the 5 losses would be SMU, Iowa, USM, UTSA, and LaTech. I didn't see FAU coming at all.

If we go 8-5, that means we'll go 3-2 down the stretch, with likely losses to LaTech and Army. I would be ecstatic if we went 3-2 down the stretch. This time last year, when we were 4-3, we went 1-5 down the stretch. 

If we can't get our act together we could very well become the laughing stock of the conference with another epic collapse.

12 hours ago, Harry said:

Can’t help but think my desperation to win the Texas at San Antonio game in some way led to the disastrous outcome against FAU.  In hindsight, and despite the painful 69, I probably would still have taken that deal and considered it a bargain.

Not at all. I would whether the players and staff have some dignity leftover for the remaining 5 or 6 games. Give me two 1-point losses or two 1-point wins over what reality actually is.  

• Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

Spit spit spit! Know matter what the record I still have trouble getting that soured taste out of my mouth! Thought we had some momentum! It is the first time that I question Seth's coaching decisions!

The first time, really?! Not this years SMU or last years UTEP or the absolute lack of in-game adjustments spanned over the course of 20 games? 

It was a hard game to stomach, but it doesn't matter how much you win or lose by.  A W is still a W and an L is still an L.  We don't get credit for 2 W's or L's based on how much we win or lose by.  We only took 1 L on Saturday.  Time to move on from it.

And I agree with Harry, I would have taken that deal at the start of the season and considered it a bargain too.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Moobs said:

It was a hard game to stomach, but it doesn't matter how much you win or lose by.  A W is still a W and an L is still an L.  We don't get credit for 2 W's or L's based on how much we win or lose by.  We only took 1 L on Saturday.  Time to move on from it.

And I agree with Harry, I would have taken that deal at the start of the season and considered it a bargain too.

It matters how much you win or lose by. It matters quite a bit. Games like this makes headlines and will linger on the GMG board like the Rice game in 2007 and the OU game around the same time. Or the Portland St game that will most likely be talked about for years and years to come. This game is right up there will all of them. None of them would even be talked about if they were 1-point wins or losses, would they? You don't move on from these kinds of games. They linger. For sometime. 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

It matters how much you win or lose by. It matters quite a bit. Games like this makes headlines and will linger on the GMG board like the Rice game in 2007 and the OU game around the same time. Or the Portland St game that will most likely be talked about for years and years to come. This game is right up there will all of them. None of them would even be talked about if they were 1-point wins or losses, would they? You don't move on from these kinds of games. They linger. For sometime. 

if only we had been able to get you on the field to QB in the second half... #adjustments

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Just now, golfingomez said:

if only we had been able to get you on the field to QB in the second half... #adjustments

A very UNT thing for you to say. Why am I not surprised. 

Rather than talking about the abysmal performance of this team and coaching staff, let's turn the attention on a single poster. 

Edited by Ben Gooding
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

A very UNT thing for you to say. Why am I not surprised. 

Rather than talking about the abysmal performance of this team and coaching staff, let's turn the attention on a single poster. 

yeah... you're right...

let's linger on this regular season loss for the next few years (according to you) and not get past it... that's what this team needs right now, that's how strong programs succeed! Somebody call Georgia and tell them that shouldn't be winning this year because they lost 45-10 to a conference rival Ole Miss last year. THEY NEED TO LINGER!!!!

That's all anyone has talked about with the Dawgs this year... that lingering loss to Ole Miss last year... i dont even know why they let kirby smart stay there

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

The first time, really?! Not this years SMU or last years UTEP or the absolute lack of in-game adjustments spanned over the course of 20 games? 

I will not understand not taking any time outs in the first half for the D! A major turning point for me was the back being down on a 3rd down play but because of the hurry up it did not get reviewed. Score was 24-7 at the time.

Then not pulling Fine really did remind me of pig headed MAC!

3 minutes ago, golfingomez said:

yeah... you're right...

let's linger on this regular season loss for the next few years (according to you) and not get past it... that's what this team needs right now, that's how strong programs succeed! Somebody call Georgia and tell them that shouldn't be winning this year because they lost 45-10 to a conference rival Ole Miss last year. THEY NEED TO LINGER!!!!

That's all anyone has talked about with the Dawgs this year... that lingering loss to Ole Miss last year... i dont even know why they let kirby smart stay there

Oh..So UNT will be bringing in top 3 national classes the next 2 years to fix our problems? I had no idea. If so, great comparison and I'll hang up and listen. 

Edited by Ben Gooding

2 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

Oh..So UNT will be bringing in top 3 national classes the next 2 years to fix our problems? I had no idea. If so, great comparison and I'll hang up and listen

Thank God, i'm definitely tired of you b*tching and moaning all the time about the impending apocalypse... 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

Just now, golfingomez said:

Thank God, i'm definitely tired of you b*tching and moaning all the time about the impending apocalypse... 

Apparently someone in this walking dead fan base needs to. I mean if we don't reserve the right to bitch about 69 points and 804 yards plus an offense that looked out manned and less prepared, what do we have the right to complain about? 

This was not an anomaly...

3rd down % D - 111th in the Nation

Scoring D - 38 ppg - 119th in the Nation

Turnovers gained - 7- Tied for 115th in the Nation

RedZone Defense - 113th in the Nation at 91.7%. 

Rush D - 86th in the Nation at 180 ypg

Pass D - 118th in the Nation at 276 ypg 

Total D -  109th in the Nation 

But let's just sit on our hands and not say a word. Seems like the UNT thing to do I suppose. 

6 minutes ago, LongJim said:

"Don't let one loss beat you twice."

Oh, but we don't play the game. We're just on a fan board. I seem to recall that being told to me when I said we needed not take FAU lightly. 

32 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

Oh..So UNT will be bringing in top 3 national classes the next 2 years to fix our problems? I had no idea. If so, great comparison and I'll hang up and listen. 

So only good teams have the right to mentally move on from bad games? I had no idea...

1 hour ago, Ben Gooding said:

You've obviously haven't played a lot of sports in your life. The blowouts are always easier to move on from. It's the last second, gut wrenching losses that stick with you. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Ben Gooding said:

Not at all. I would whether the players and staff have some dignity leftover for the remaining 5 or 6 games. Give me two 1-point losses or two 1-point wins over what reality actually is.  

YOU WOULD RATHER HAVE LOST TO BOTH FAU AND UTSA THEN BEATEN ONE OF THEM?!

I just want to be sure about that, on the record, you would rather us be coming off of two straight conference losses right now than what happened?  

5 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

Apparently someone in this walking dead fan base needs to. I mean if we don't reserve the right to bitch about 69 points and 804 yards plus an offense that looked out manned and less prepared, what do we have the right to complain about? 

This was not an anomaly...

3rd down % D - 111th in the Nation

Scoring D - 38 ppg - 119th in the Nation

Turnovers gained - 7- Tied for 115th in the Nation

RedZone Defense - 113th in the Nation at 91.7%. 

Rush D - 86th in the Nation at 180 ypg

Pass D - 118th in the Nation at 276 ypg 

Total D -  109th in the Nation 

But let's just sit on our hands and not say a word. Seems like the UNT thing to do I suppose. 

Oh, but we don't play the game. We're just on a fan board. I seem to recall that being told to me when I said we needed not take FAU lightly. 

Its so funny to have watched your metamorphosis on this board over the years. You've gone from a young student/alum with this uber positive belief that we would be something huge as a program, to a fan with hope that we will fix things to your liking, to becoming frustrated with the realities of the situation here but holding out hope it will get corrected, to now being absolutely beaten by the program. You want coaches fired, you want recruiting fixed, you want expectations raised...welcome to me about 10-15 years ago.

Some of us told you this would happen. Being around here for decades will do this to you. You'll be no different--you'll walk away pissed like the fans who have tried to stick with it for years on end and then just go back to following your favorite T-shirt P5 school or you'll become numb to it all and just go our to Apogee for games because its your alma mater and just hope for the best. 

Just now, Cerebus said:

I just want to be sure about that, on the record, you would rather us be coming off of two straight conference losses right now than what happened?  

Yes. My expectations are to be 6-6 this year while being competitive in every game. A game like what happened Saturday can have a tremendous psychological effect on this team. A vulnerable team that is usually going up against teams with more talent, has to have the psychological advantage in their favor. Though we ran out to a decent start, it would not be surprising in the least bit to see us sputter to a 1-4 or 2-3 finish at all. 

So, put it on the record. We are more than likely not going to be division champs. It's just not on the cards for this team. I would have traded 1-point losses for both games to they can maintain their mental psyche and competitive edge. For now, we have no idea what will transpire. We have no idea how this team will bounce back and we have no idea how they will perform vs a 2-5 ODU team. There is a reason we have no idea and that reason is 69-31. Put it on your record, I guess? 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

Someone should be banned for that level of stupidity, no?

• Haha 2
  • Downvote 1