Home Of The 109th Ranked Defense

FirefightnRick

The defense is pretty bad. In order for Littrell to raise his stock, he has to learn that HCs have to have not only great offenses, but a halfway decent defense. Everyone was talking about SL leaving, but I don't see him leaving unless he gets fired or he takes an OC job somewhere for more money. Because right now, he hasn't proven he can get some defensive play going.

• Upvote 1

One of my 5 thoughts following our disaster at FAU is why is it that this Booger Kennedy Starter Kit and local FWST Top 100 Recruit only has offers from Montana State, Army and Air Force?

https://247sports.com/Player/James-Williams-46040199

He moved in from Everman at the end of the spring of his 8th grade year.  Was instantly inserted as a starter on varsity three months later as their top D tackle and has been an unblockable one man wrecking ball to 5A offenses ever since.  And he's fast, fast enough to be used as a fullback on short yardage.  Yet going into August camp he had one offer from Montana State.  How is that possible?

Rick

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Hot Take: In the world of college football today, unless you’re in the SEC, defense doesn’t need to be good. It just has to be serviceable enough that you can outscore the other offense. Some of you may prefer a different play style (a la Danny Mac with his “pro style” approach) but I honestly prefer just run up the score and see who ends up with the most points.

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 7

2 minutes ago, AustinFromUNT said:

Hot Take: In the world of college football today, unless you’re in the SEC, defense doesn’t need to be good. It just has to be serviceable enough that you can outscore the other offense. Some of you may prefer a different play style (a la Danny Mac with his “pro style” approach) but I honestly prefer just run up the score and see who ends up with the most points.

LOL!!!!  Says a person who probably didn't witness the 72-64 shootout loss against Navy and the 3 1/2 years of Dodge disaster.

Tell me your joking, right?

Rick

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

1 minute ago, TreeFiddy said:

That and the 4 games in the win column.

That is where the red zone aptitude comes into play. We were ranked around 85tg in red zone efficiency for n 2007. Punch those drives in and Todd Dodge has a much better season. Doesn't change that the defense sucked totally in 2007 and 2017.

22 minutes ago, AustinFromUNT said:

Danny Mac and his pro style approach at least got us a bowl game win. Littrell hasn't won shit, and this is the second year in a row he's been completely embarrassed at least one game this season.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 7

1 hour ago, MGNation92 said:

Danny Mac and his pro style approach at least got us a bowl game win. Littrell hasn't won shit, and this is the second year in a row he's been completely embarrassed at least one game this season.

YOU THINK YOU CAN DO BETTER!!! WHY DON'T YOU GO TELL THEM TO THEIR FACE!!!! WHY ARENT YOU COACHING!!!! YOU THINK YOU CAN DO BETTER THAN 69 POINTS AND 804 YARDS!!! HOW DARE YOU. BOP BLOP BOOOP  

im just tryin to fit in with this fan base 

• Lovely Take 2
  • Downvote 1

On ‎10‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 9:46 AM, FirefightnRick said:

We dropped 30 places after yesterday.  

We are the Tom Cable-era Idaho Vandals of the twenty teens. As I've posted before..... the praise and going on and on about our offense means nothing if you have a putrid defense. 

IMG_2472.PNG.3369396f46f305ca8c19018c11c5c721.PNG

Rick

This is why the spread offense doesn't help you much if you cannot recruit and develop defensive talent...see Mike Leach, Art Briles, Todd Dodge, etc...all you can do is try to outscore teams. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

I feel sorry for Ga. Southern. 🤔

I don't. I feel happy for them. They told a dude half way through year 2 to kick rocks because he's sucking at 5-13. He went 5-7 last year and the rumblings from fans at poor lil old Ga Southern were to the point that the athletic director had to come out and give that coach a public vote of confidence. Sounds eerily familiar, but the opposite??? haha  They made a big time move, because they have at least big time aspirations. And they'd be damned if they applauded 5-7 let alone give a raise and extension. Only. At. UNT. 

4 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

The sad thing is this isn’t the 1st blow out this year.. SMU was

Last year we had UTSA (which similar to SMU we moved it late to close the gap), WKU, and UTEP.. Also, I have to go back but wasn’t MTSU a blow out, that was when we had a solid first drive, and last 2 drives and between that it was a dumpster fire? 

3 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Last year we had UTSA (which similar to SMU we moved it late to close the gap), WKU, and UTEP.. Also, I have to go back but wasn’t MTSU a blow out, that was when we had a solid first drive, and last 2 drives and between that it was a dumpster fire? 

MTSU was certainly a blowout last year. Not 69 points, but 30-13 by a conference team is a beating. WKU, UTEP were definitely blowouts last year. SMU and UTSA weren't textbook blow outs, but the game was never in doubt, ever. I guess you could put the MTSU beating in either category. Both are bad to be in. 

Edited by Ben Gooding

23 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

In the first 20 games of the Littrell era, we are 9-11. In the 11 losses the average score is 41.9 to 19.4. In the 9 wins the average score is 40-25. So through 20 games we are at, Opposing team - 33.45 points and UNT - 29.7 points. When we win, we outscore the opposition and the defense even bows a little. When we lose, we turnaround and take it. 

On 10/22/2017 at 9:46 AM, FirefightnRick said:

We dropped 30 places after yesterday.  

We are the Tom Cable-era Idaho Vandals of the twenty teens. As I've posted before..... the praise and going on and on about our offense means nothing if you have a putrid defense. 

IMG_2472.PNG.3369396f46f305ca8c19018c11c5c721.PNG

Rick

And concerning that one place above us is  North Carolina, where Mike Ekeler is now the DC after having been with us last year.

• Upvote 2

Not sure what things are like in the locker room without Ekeler, whether we miss him or not, but I'm not interested in firing anyone on this staff this year.

5 hours ago, AustinFromUNT said:

Nope.

4 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

Every single coach we've ever had has suffered through embarrassing loss(es).

It looks like we've got a guy who can win us 6+ games every year.  But you preferred DMac's career because of the one bowl win?

EDIT: nvm MGN92, I see what you're responding too.  I don't like our defense, either, but I'll take any style that gets us more than 2-3 wins/year.  I hope we can fix our defense.

Edited by greenminer
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

One of my 5 thoughts following our disaster at FAU is why is it that this Booger Kennedy Starter Kit and local FWST Top 100 Recruit only has offers from Montana State, Army and Air Force?

https://247sports.com/Player/James-Williams-46040199

He moved in from Everman at the end of the spring of his 8th grade year.  Was instantly inserted as a starter on varsity three months later as their top D tackle and has been an unblockable one man wrecking ball to 5A offenses ever since.  And he's fast, fast enough to be used as a fullback on short yardage.  Yet going into August camp he had one offer from Montana State.  How is that possible?

Rick

Because he MAY be 5'10 that's probably an inch too tall.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

LOL!!!!  Says a person who probably didn't witness the 72-64 shootout loss against Navy and the 3 1/2 years of Dodge disaster.

Tell me your joking, right?

Rick

If memory serves, I am 74]when we would score a touchdown our player would give some sort of an eagle claw salute, which the refs thought was an obscene gesture and would flag us for un sportsman like conduct , assessing us a 15 yard penalty on the kickoff. As a result, Navy had great field position all day.

Edited by wardly
spelling

6 hours ago, AustinFromUNT said:

That's just it. Our defense is not even serviceable. They flat out suck. With the exception of a couple of players, they are not good. I don't think it is necessarily the players, I think it is Reffett. We don't quite have the capabilities to get to the QB so we should stop blitzing so much. We need to play straight up defense on opponents and blitz them when we have them in 3rd and 20 or more. Our normal pass rush is getting there just as fast as the blitz is getting there. Or maybe I should say that the blitzing is no faster getting to the QB than the straight up normal pass rush. Plus, I see a lot of arm tackling and grabbing. It's like they need to go back to middle school and learn how to tackle all over again. I see so many missed tackles in each game that it is easier to count tackles made than missed tackles.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

16 minutes ago, llaacy said:

Really can't wait to see how everyone who bitches about one bad game and starts calling for Littrell and Reffett's jobs reacts when we finish 8-4 and win the CUSA West. 

If that were to happen they would slap themselves on the back and believe it was their "holding people accountable" that lead to the turnaround.  

It's simple megalomania.  

Just now, llaacy said:

Really can't wait to see everyone who bitches about one bad game complain when we finish 8-4 and win the CUSA West. 

It's not 1 bad game. It's been 6 pretty bad defensive performances in 7 games. I'll call it 5.5 bad defensive performances. They fought well vs Iowa for a bit. This one just snowballed out of control. We could just as easily be 2-5, just like ODU. We aren't, so count your lucky stars for it. Nothing leads me to believe we will beat LaTech in Ruston. Nothing leads me to believe that ODU will be a a pushover. 

5 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

If that were to happen they would slap themselves on the back and believe it was their "holding people accountable" that lead to the turnaround.  

It's simple megalomania.  

Megalomaniac? That's a new one. 

No one is holding anyone accountable around here. Hadn't for a century. That's why this athletic program is a punchline. 

• Downvote 1