Jeffery Wilson

Venson

5 hours ago, VideoEagle said:

In both of the examples you gave, the starter was injured and thus the backup HAD to come in. More importantly, in both of those cases you have very experienced starters being backup up by far less experience - rookie in Prescott's case - quarterbacks. The reason to leave an INEXPERIENCED QB in is to allow them to gain experience. If you starter is experienced and the backup is, THEN you pull the starter in garbage time. 

On your second point, I quick Google search finds a full page of people saying Landry Jones should have replaced Ben. It's so common as to be cliche that the backup QB is the most popular player on anytime after the starter has a bad game. 

I am NOT saying never to pull the starter at the end of a game, rather there are very sound, football strategy reasons to sometimes leave an inexperienced starter in. 

People may have been saying Jones should have replaced Ben. I wasn't saying that and never believed he should. If you go on the Steelers board, there are no Steelers fans saying Jones should have replaced Ben. As a matter of fact they have been saying for a few years that Jones should be gone. Anyone saying different are definitely not Steelers fans. But, I digress. My point was that when I said Jones shouldn't replace Ben, I was saying me because the comment was made that the backup is always more popular as if I was saying it for that reason. The other point is yes Prescott and Brady replaced guys who were injured, but last year Littrell burned Fine''s redshirt to replace Morris and both of them were inexperienced. Morris hadn't played since he was at Allen High School because he was buried deep on Alabama's bench. Why not leave him in to gain experience? I was just saying it couldn't hurt to throw Shanbour in. Fine played most of last year and all of this year. Shanbour has played sparingly. May as well get him some experience in garbage time because Fine has a lot more than him and Littrell himself keeps saying they are going to need them both.