DRC: Five thoughts on UNT's loss to FAU

Brett Vito

8 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

OK, FAU came out opening drive and went 75 yards in about 2.5 minutes and 7 points. They continued this up to 24 points in the first quarter alone. Our offense would kind of move here and there but would either turn the ball over or punt. In the 2nd quarter, more of the same to the tune of a halftime score of 41-7. Seth Littrell was so over his head and desperate in the 2nd quarter that he went for it on like 4th and 5 on our own 30 yard line. Of course, in UNT fashion, didn't get it. Our O looked aimless. Our D literally forced 0 punts all game. Final Score 69-31. The Final score could've been named by FAU if they so chose. So, hey, Lane Kiffin showing some class, right? 

In my honest opinion, this game was worse than the Portland State game. There were several variables that perfectly played into that Portland Fiasco. Here, nothing. An absolute unexpected ass whipping of pretty epic proportions. 

Thanks

12 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

My thoughts:

The team was obviously ill prepared and thought they were a lot better than they are

Littrell and company got an embarrassing lesson

FAU used their off week very well

Probably the worst game in NT history, yes even worse than Portland State

As bad as the coaching was for NT, the worst sin was keeping Fine in the game, there is no justification for that

This game could have easily been  around 83-17, not that it matters 

Again why was Fine in this game, ending his season in a slaughter like this was certainly possible

I hate to think it is all about the stats, but is there another explanation  

All goodwill gains in the UTSA game, destroyed; Go from conference darling to joke in one game

As horrible as it was, it only counts as one loss 

Only positive, NT still in best position to win West 

Wouldn't it be grand to play FAU again in the conference championship

Kiffin is gone after this year. The UNT coaching staff got schooled on what is a creative OC. No timeouts in first half were used and should of been for the D! Also leaving Fine in is inexcusable!  These are Seth's call! 

• Lovely Take 1

On ‎10‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 12:50 AM, GrandGreen said:

My thoughts:

The team was obviously ill prepared and thought they were a lot better than they are

Littrell and company got an embarrassing lesson

FAU used their off week very well

Probably the worst game in NT history, yes even worse than Portland State

As bad as the coaching was for NT, the worst sin was keeping Fine in the game, there is no justification for that

This game could have easily been  around 83-17, not that it matters 

Again why was Fine in this game, ending his season in a slaughter like this was certainly possible

I hate to think it is all about the stats, but is there another explanation  

All goodwill gains in the UTSA game, destroyed; Go from conference darling to joke in one game

As horrible as it was, it only counts as one loss 

Only positive, NT still in best position to win West 

Wouldn't it be grand to play FAU again in the conference championship

This game sucked royally, no doubt about it. But there is ABSOLUTELY no way this was the worst game in UNT history. Not even close.

In 1991, Nevada beat us 72-0.

In 2008, Rice was ahead of us 77-20 in the 3rd QUARTER. They could've scored 100 points easily if they had wanted to that day. 

But nothing will surpass the 2015 Portland State loss...in the history of FBS football, until a FCS team beats a FBS team at by 60 points or more. That will never happen again in most fans' lifetimes. That was the absolute lowest point that we have ever experienced as a FBS/D-1A school on the field. And to watch the entire team quit on the university that gives them a scholarship and the opportunity to play football on our HOMECOMING is still unforgiveable. This day and the day we went down to I-aa in 1982 are the two worst days that the program has endured. This FAU loss was awful, but it won't surpass these games listed above.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Got5onIt said:

Nope. I’m tired of the learning on the job mess. These guys get paid way too much to ride in on training wheels...

Yup. The release of Tommy Perry will be something that I will never understand. There has been a very visible and statistical decline in ST performance across the board save for Trevor Moore. You don't keep that on your staff. And the DC gots to go as well. 

• Upvote 3

28 minutes ago, Got5onIt said:

Nope. I’m tired of the learning on the job mess. These guys get paid way too much to ride in on training wheels...

Just because the current staff gets paid more than what we paid before doesn't mean that we are changing our reputation with TX HS coaches and parents anytime soon. And they are getting paid because its what the coaching market demands at our level in this state. 

I mean we paid Todd Dodge $300k a year, he went 6-37 in his time here, and we decided that we couldn't afford to fire him with more than a year left on his contract because it would cost an extra $300k. Did any of those losses make you feel better because he was getting paid less? Of course not. Look it was a terrible loss. But FAU just took advantage of the fact that we have very little on defense that can stop a good passing team. Hell, UAB damn near beat us and their passing attack isn't anywhere close to FAU's or SMU's. 

We hired an offensive coach. He got here and immediately found QBs to get here that were light years ahead of what we had. There is little doubt that our offense is better today, in SL's year and a half on the job, then it was under Mac at anytime during his tenure. Now, the defense sucks still and it may not ever get better than it has been because of the fact that we don't recruit well in a state that has gotten away completely from coaching defense at the high school level due to the spread offense being played almost everywhere. But its not very realistic to expect an undersized unit with little talent to stop good offenses, even if Nick Saban coached here. here are no techniques that we could employ that change the fact that we have very little size upfront to put pressure on a QB. That's not training wheels, that's the situation of having to use guys here that probably aren't starting on defense at many other places in CUSA. Only way to fix that is to get talent here and develop it--and that is where being at the bottom of the barrel in recruiting circles in TX (with UTEP)  is the real killer here. Unless that can get repaired, and its highly questionable if it will change anytime soon, you're gonna see the same struggles for years to come on defense.

4 minutes ago, Got5onIt said:

^^^

Tommy Perry was a great ST coach and he wasn’t getting paid more than the current guy.  

Yet, there was never and will probably never be an explanation as to why he was released. I know he was happy here at UNT and he was having success on the field with his unit and he was one of the better recruiters we had in the DM era and looks like he would've been one of the better recruiters on this staff as well. 

But when SL is asked about ST, he doesn't even flinch. Coach speak at its finest, and I think I remember he even said something like, "We haven't changed anything schematically." Well, I think something has changed. And all signs kind of point to the coach of the Unit.   

3 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

This game sucked royally, no doubt about it. But there is ABSOLUTELY no way this was the worst game in UNT history. Not even close.

In 1991, Nevada beat us 72-0.

In 2008, Rice was ahead of us 77-20 in the 3rd QUARTER. They could've scored 100 points easily if they had wanted to that day. 

But nothing will surpass the 2015 Portland State loss...in the history of FBS football, until a FCS team beats a FBS team at by 60 points or more. That will never happen again in most fans' lifetimes. That was the absolute lowest point that we have ever experienced as a FBS/D-1A school on the field. And to watch the entire team quit on the university that gives them a scholarship and the opportunity to play football on our HOMECOMING is still unforgiveable. This day and the day we went down to I-aa in 1982 are the two worst days that the program has endured. This FAU loss was awful, but it won't surpass these games listed above.

I think you are confusing point spread with worse loss.  The Nevada loss was in the fcs (1aa) division by a 3-7 NT team, you really think that is anywhere near the FAU loss in importance.  

The Rice loss also was relatively unimportant by a NT team that was 1-11, and also in my view largely due to an very ill advised all team drug test.  Many players definitely didn't have football primary on their mind. 

The Portland State loss may have been more embarrassing because it was to a fcs team. NT was also 1-11 in that year, so on an importance basis, it would rank very low.   It was also definitely a function of the turmoil going on with the coaching staff at the time plus a bad team.       

They are all relatively unimportant games by really bad NT teams.  So absolutely they are not close to as bad as the FAU game.   The FAU vs NT game was between two undefeated in CUSA teams with a lot to play for.  

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 1

On 10/22/2017 at 12:01 AM, Brett Vito said:

Do you have to pay for the games you go to?  Just curious 

3 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

I think you are confusing point spread with worse loss.  The Nevada loss was in the fcs (1aa) division by a 3-7 NT team, you really think that is anywhere near the FAU loss in importance.  

The Rice loss also was relatively unimportant by a NT team that was 1-11, and also in my view largely due to an very ill advised all team drug test.  Many players definitely didn't have football primary on their mind. 

The Portland State loss may have been more embarrassing because it was to a fcs team. NT was also 1-11 in that year, so on an importance basis, it would rank very low.   It was also definitely a function of the turmoil going on with the coaching staff at the time plus a bad team.       

They are all relatively unimportant games by really bad NT teams.  So absolutely they are not close to as bad as the FAU game.   The FAU vs NT game was between two undefeated in CUSA teams with a lot to play for.  

Agree.  The fau loss really hurts.  However, the Portland State game was the worst.  Biggest margin of victory by an FCS team over an FBS team, on homecoming!  Granted it didn't have importance to it but that was the worst lost the program has suffered 

Edited by diehardUNTfan