Littrell post game FAU

Harry

1 minute ago, Censored by Laurie said:

but look how mad he is. 

anger = winning = manliness 

He wasn't that bad of a coach btw. And he has SC sitting pretty decent at 5-2. 

But the anger is not what I was pointing out. I am a big UF fan and every single player that Mushcamp has coached have all spoke very highly of him. You can coach hard when a mutual respect is developed with the players and it has nothing to do with being angry or manly. It has everything to do with pushing the right buttons at the right time. And if an ass chewing pushes some buttons for some people, then that's what you do. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

4 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Really, there was nothing that Littrell could say in a post game interview that would satisfy anybody after a game like that.  Blaming anybody but himself would serve no purpose.   I don't like his coach-speak, another week better, etc. but it is pretty much universal among coaches.   What matters is what he communicates to his staff and team and I doubt it is going to be pleasant. 

As far as the wives, I doubt if NT would have won; there would little interest.  This is a Baker mess-up, it is just bad optics no matter what it actually cost.  I don't believe it had any effect at all relative to the game.  A more experienced AD would know better.  Any organization depending on donations, should know that an expenditure like this is going to get the reaction that is happening. 

I think him saying he was going a new way on defense would have been nice to hear.. our strength before the year is our biggest weakness.. our 2 best players and pre-season all conference players are playing terrible or on the bench.. 

I’m going to say it’s not on WB in terms of picking when the wives go on this trip. I’m guessing it’s the wives pick and then it’s set up that way.. Honestly if you wanna present/sale me or anyone on the “family first” organization why go to FAU in mid-oct over doing this trip during Thanksgiving weekend? Yes someone in the AD department should have likely brought it up saying this is a big game and it should be rescheduled because at worst it’s a distraction possibly..

17 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

Because no one wants to admit the obvious without "proof". That is why. 

It's obvious that this trip was looked at as some kind of vacation by some. There is glowing picture of just that on this thread. But people want dinner pics. 

I like your energy but this is a common thing in the coaching world. You can bet the we that stayed at home saw more of the coaches on TV then their wives saw of them. It is more of girls trip then anything. But go off the handle if you like. 

Just now, KingDL1 said:

I like your energy but this is a common thing in the coaching world. You can bet the we that stayed at home saw more of the coaches on TV then their wives saw of them. It is more of girls trip then anything. But go off the handle if you like. 

I hope you're right. And tbh, other than it being an utter waste of money....cost of airfare + board + food x 15 = waste of money. But the stats and score far and away outweigh this stuff. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 7

2 minutes ago, KingDL1 said:

This X1000.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Just now, Ben Gooding said:

I hope you're right. And tbh, other than it being an utter waste of money....cost of airfare + board + food x 15 = waste of money. But the stats and score far and away outweigh this stuff. 

Of all the BS this weekend and there is plenty to go around. 

What makes you think it was all on the school's tab? 

10 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Nobody says that unless he has already fired his DC.

I would have fired Reff and many others on this board.. Who has he shut down this year? SMU ran all over him, FAU made SMU look like nothing... UAB put up 40+.. Yes shut down Lamar, he made a 2nd half adjustment vs USM, and got lucky vs UTSA (just like he did vs UAB as Well).. 

He has taken one of the better recent players in McClain and seen him decline along with Brooks and All-CUSA pick now become a 3rd CB because of scheme and aggressive play calls with no turnovers to show for it in the most part..

PS- UNT got lucky the UTSA ran it in for a TD as well.. they were pounding away eating clock, more than willing to settle for a last second FG

Edited by BTG_Fan1
  • Upvote 4

1 minute ago, Ben Gooding said:

WB tweeted out that they do this for the coaching staff spouses once a year. Whoever they is, you can make that judgement. 

Sounds nice of the AD still I can tell you it more of girls trip then anything. 

2 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

I would have fired Reff and many others on this board.. Who has he shut down this year? SMU ran all over him, FAU made SMU look like nothing... UAB put up 40+.. Yes shut down Lamar, he made a 2nd half adjustment vs USM, and got lucky vs UTSA (just like he did vs UAB as Well).. 

He has taken one of the better recent players in McClain and seen him decline along with Brooks and All-CUSA pick now become a 3rd CB because of scheme and aggressive play calls with no turnovers to show for it in the most part..

You are spot on in your assessment.

• Upvote 2

If Reffett isn't fired Monday, this is #OldDenton and it solidifies and molds in concrete that we're good with 69 point  defensive performances and 804 yards of offense. Words are one thing. They're great and they make buffoons feel comforted and important, but actions speak loud. Reffett has done not one single thing to keep his job, even for the remainder of the season. 

1 minute ago, KingDL1 said:

Sounds nice of the AD still I can tell you it more of girls trip then anything. 

Again, let's focus on the 69 points and 804 yards of offense given up and the sterile offense. Had those not happened, no one would've even know about this wife thing. AmIRite

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 9

1 minute ago, Ben Gooding said:

If Reffett isn't fired Monday, this is #OldDenton and it solidifies and molds in concrete that we're good with 69 point  defensive performances and 804 yards of offense. Words are one thing. They're great and they make buffoons feel comforted and important, but actions speak loud. Reffett has done not one single thing to keep his job, even for the remainder of the season. 

He is being paid 250k a year to run a decent defense in a less than P5 school. He is overpaid. For that kind of money, I expect results. There is a reason why defensive coaches in the NFL have more success as head coaches than offensive ones. It is usually easier to find a good OC, but hard to find a good DC. Graet Defensive HCs in the NFL: Landry, Noll, Belechick, Parcells, Shula, and Madden. The only OC coaches with multiple Superbowls is Walsh and Lombardi. Just saying, picking a great DC is key if you are an offensive minded coach and Reffet aint it.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Venson said:

He is being paid 250k a year to run a decent defense in a less than P5 school. He is overpaid. For that kind of money, I expect results. There is a reason why defensive coaches in the NFL have more success as head coaches than offensive ones. It is usually easier to find a good OC, but hard to find a good DC. Graet Defensive HCs in the NFL: Landry, Noll, Belechick, Parcells, Shula, and Madden. The only OC coaches with multiple Superbowls is Walsh and Lombardi. Just saying, picking a great DC is key if you are an offensive minded coach and Reffet aint it.

250K a year for 804 yards of O and 69 points. I mean hell, I would take 200k and would at least be able to shave off some of those points and yards off luck alone, right? If you think about that production/cost, we are reallllllly getting the shaft here. Bad, really bad. 

Nevertheless, this defensive performance will keep us in the triple digits defensively the remainder of the year. You can bet on that and there is no way around it. 

• Downvote 6

14 minutes ago, NorthTexan95 said:

Wives and family on the trip is the issue?  Please ... talk about stupid ideas ... it's a non issue.  

I think the big issue we saw today is we have a bunch of kids playing football and they sometimes act like kids.  They probably didn't prepare as they should have ... they didn't respect the opponent as much as they should have ... they probably over estimated themselves ... and when they fell into the huge hole they kinda gave up.  These are the types of games you see from every college team but we don't have the talent to sleep walk for a half and get away from it.

I don’t think anyone is single handedly blaming the wives..

The point is they are not kids..  You’re an adult at 18.. SL doesn’t say he has great kids, he says he has great Man.. 

The point is, yes this team was likely full of themselves after that UTSA game. With that being said, the staff should have been aware of this. The pool party, the wives, whatever else happened it did not allow for the staff to manage/stop this from happening. Yes, they likely overlooked FAU as well but again this stuff is on the staff. 

If having their wives there meant they had less prep time then it was a distraction.. if they were at the pool and not in team meetings, then it’s a distraction.. 

Again, you aren’t going to sale me and others that this was a “family trip” when they have an away game on one of the biggest holidays of the year (@Rice for Thanksgiving day weekend). 

9 minutes ago, Venson said:

Let’s hope WB allows for SL to drop some $ and bring in a good DC.. SL talked about wanting Reff because of the troubles he had in the past vs the 3-3-5 but that has not came true here

Edited by BTG_Fan1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

6 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

The point is they are not kids..  You’re an adult at 18.. SL doesn’t say he has great kids, he says he has great Man.. 

The point is, yes this team was likely full of themselves after that UTSA game. With that being said, the staff should have been aware of this. The pool party, the wives, whatever else happened it did not allow for the staff to manage/stop this from happening. Yes, they likely overlooked FAU as well but again this stuff is on the staff. 

If having their wives there meant they had less prep time then it was a distraction.. if they were at the pool and not in team meetings, then it’s a distraction.. 

Again, you aren’t going to sale me and others that this was a “family trip” when they have an away game on one of the biggest holidays of the year (@Rice for Thanksgiving day weekend). 

Let’s hope WB allows for SL to drop some $ and bring in a good DC.. SL talked about wanting Reff because of the troubles he had in the past vs the 3-3-5 but that has not came true here

He doesn't need to drop any money. 250K is more than adequate to find a suitable replacement. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

2 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

18 means you're an adult of legal age (for most things).  It does not mean you are mature, always make good decisions, nor always handle things properly. 

If anything gets in the way of preparation then it's a mistake but I doubt that happened. Thanksgiving would probably be a bad choice since they would already have family plans. 

2 minutes ago, NorthTexan95 said:

18 means you're an adult of legal age (for most things).  It does not mean you are mature, always make good decisions, nor always handle things properly. 

If anything gets in the way of preparation then it's a mistake but I doubt that happened. Thanksgiving would probably be a bad choice since they would already have family plans. 

Again, it’s on the coaches and the team leadership.. Quinn talked about how he and the other team leaders have players report to them and not the coaches.. It wasn’t the 18-19 year olds calling the defense.. 

Yes the coaches families may have plans for Thanksgiving but This wasn’t just set up last week.. this likely has been picked out months ahead.. We can say the families may have plans for thanksgiving, but again the coaches and team have a game! 

• Downvote 3

4 hours ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

“I’m not a psychologist, Brett.”

—SL

If that is an actual quote, I would beg to differ. Like it or not, coaches are paid (at this level of pay), in part, to assess the readiness of their players and the readiness of the team. And that does involve, to a certain extent, being a psychologist......a sports psychologist.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

1 minute ago, SilverEagle said:

If that is an actual quote, I would beg to differ. Like it or not, coaches are paid (at this level of pay), in part, to assess the readiness of their players and the readiness of the team. And that does involve, to a certain extent, being a psychologist......a sports psychologist.

It’s very much a real quote, at the end of the interview 

• Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

The wives, the pool, the whatever, is a straight cop out. Call it how it is, the team got their ass whooped for 60 minutes. No excuses, just flat out outperformed from start to finish.... With that said, I'm eager to see the response, still so very much to play for, but this will really test this staff. I want to see if they can bounce back, prob Littrell & co biggest challenge since arriving..

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3