Old Dominion

greeneagle1

8 hours ago, Hunter Green said:

He was a UNT fan, but has since jumped ship because of how we lost last night.... 

8 hours ago, Hunter Green said:

Well, boo frickity h

It isn’t just losing it is an historic beat down in front a program so storied they had less that 7,000 fans there to watch their team crush us.  If you were not long time fan of this team before this game, your fandom would waiver too most likely.

13 hours ago, Mike Jackson said:

It isn’t just losing it is an historic beat down in front a program so storied they had less that 7,000 fans there to watch their team crush us.  If you were not long time fan of this team before this game, your fandom would waiver too most likely.

I have followed this team since 1989 and no, my fandom has never wavered. Pardon me for not being sympathetic. I have watched many embarrassing loses to teams big and small. If you want to jump ship, be my guest. Recently however, we have seen good things happen as a result of humiliating loses. Portland State brought about a positive change at the HC position and indirectly a change with a new AD. Great things have happened because the fans/alumni who stuck it out, demanded change, which we got. UNT is poised to go higher than we ever thought possible under this Administration. So, if snowflakes want to bail after one loss and find comfort in the big programs, and have their mommy's bring them cookies and milk before they go to bed, then have at it. Don't let the door hit you on the way out. I have no patience with those who haven't the stomach for the fight. See you Saturday night in black.

GO MEAN GREEN!

Beat the hell outta ODU!

Edited by Hunter Green
  • Upvote 4
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, Hunter Green said:

I have followed this team since 1989 and no, my fandom has never wavered. Pardon me for not being sympathetic. I have watched many embarrassing loses to teams big and small. If you want to jump ship, be my guest. Recently however, we have seen good things happen as a result of humiliating loses. Portland State brought about a positive change at the HC position and indirectly a change with a new AD. Great things have happened because the fans/alumni who stuck it out, demanded change, which we got. UNT is poised to go higher than we ever thought possible under this Administration. So, if snowflakes want to bail after one loss and find comfort in the big programs, and have their mommy's bring them cookies and milk before they go to bed, then have at it. Don't let the door hit you on the way out. I have no patience with those who haven't the stomach for the fight. See you Saturday night in black.

GO MEAN GREEN!

Beat the hell outta ODU!

Ditto, Hunter Green, Ditto! 

Old story but before Fry took Iowa job they'd had (I believe it was) 20 losing seasons in a row but still sold out Kinnick Stadium all 20 years.  That is what I call true college football fans who don't get on & off the Hawkeye bandwagon depending on which way the W/L wind blows.

I honestly don't know who first started the culture at North Texas that supports the home team only when the Mean Green win. 

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

Ditto, Hunter Green, Ditto! 

Old story but before Fry took Iowa job they'd had (I believe it was) 20 losing seasons in a row but still sold out Kinnick Stadium all 20 years.  That is what I call true college football fans who don't get on & off the Hawkeye bandwagon depending on which way the W/L wind blows.

I honestly don't know who first started the culture at North Texas that supports the home team only when the Mean Green win. 

GMG!

We don't even support the home team when we win...

Until proven otherwise, getting decent attendance here is completely dependent on who we play, not how we play. I wish it wasn't true, but the Dickey years got us 15k. The McCarney 2013 HoD Bowl Champion had about 18k in average attendance then saw the impossible occur for a program that had just won 9 games and a bowl victory--the season tickets for the upcoming season with gigantic rival SMU on the schedule in Denton actually DROPPED. I get that a bad team that next season would see actual attendance fall, but not season tickets. That told me a lot about the reality here.

As the late, great Richard Durrett used to say, for UNT to get any attention, they are gonna have to win their conference AND beat a P5 team that grabs attention. Until then, the lack of support and coverage will continue to be the issues that the program will deal with. He saw it with TCU and how Ft. Worth fell in love with them during the WAC/CUSA/MWC years when Franchione and Patterson built them into this juggernaut. SMU has to do the same thing, too. Its just what G5s in pro markets have to deal with, but especially when you usually play teams that absolutely no one in DFW cares about and in a town that is apathetic (at best) to our athletic department. The good news is that Wren Baker and staff are actually trying to get people interested and being upfront with the putrid support we have gotten from our alumni in the DFW area. As his stats showed, for every 3800 UNT alums in DFW, we have exactly 1 of them that supports the MGC. You know you have a mountain to climb when those kind of numbers are what you are dealing with. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 2

33 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

As the late, great Richard Durrett used to say, for UNT to get any attention, they are gonna have to win their conference AND beat a P5 team that grabs attention. Until then, the lack of support and coverage will continue to be the issues that the program will deal with. He saw it with TCU and how Ft. Worth fell in love with them during the WAC/CUSA/MWC years when Franchione and Patterson built them into this juggernaut. SMU has to do the same thing, too. Its just what G5s in pro markets have to deal with, but especially when you usually play teams that absolutely no one in DFW cares about and in a town that is apathetic (at best) to our athletic department. The good news is that Wren Baker and staff are actually trying to get people interested and being upfront with the putrid support we have gotten from our alumni in the DFW area. As his stats showed, for every 3800 UNT alums in DFW, we have exactly 1 of them that supports the MGC. You know you have a mountain to climb when those kind of numbers are what you are dealing with. 

Agree. 

At some point the newUNTStudent at the  newDenton will ignore the past and just start supporting the team, but we do need to have more than 2 winning seasons every 10 years and like Mr. Durrett said, we need to beat a P5 team every once in awhile.  

I remember the TCU of the 70's when they were terrible & only time they had a decent "announced"  crowd was when the Longhorns and Aggies came to Amon Carter Stadium.  I thought they might drop football at one point. 

UNT could not get TCU to schedule us during the Abner Haynes era (1950's), the Mean Joe Greene era (1960's) and the Hayden Fry era (1970's ) & the reason is obvious but........... they very admirable came up with their TCU Your Home Team (or whatever they called it) & finally got Fort Worth behind them. 

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

11 hours ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

Old story but before Fry took Iowa job they'd had (I believe it was) 20 losing seasons in a row but still sold out Kinnick Stadium all 20 years.

That a combination of not having alternative things to do in the middle of Iowa in the fall.  The fair weather fan frustrate me too.  But we need a vocal supportive core that demands accountability too.  Iowa was playing powerhouse Michigan and Ohio State every year probably with a non-conference power like  Notre Dame thrown every other years.  We don’t have a monster schedule loaded with schools bigger than our with storied top 25 AP ranking histories.  And that 20 Years was probably preceded with a few prestigious Bowl game appearances too.  Creating a following that is loyal like that through long droughts is handed down through generations.  With one of those early generations enjoying success 

On 10/22/2017 at 10:06 PM, Danish43 said:

ESPN does not have any clips of OD win last night. Are there any videos that someone can post of their win last night?

If you type in Southern Mississippi highlights from the OD game.  There are some high lights from that game.  It is on Utube.  I couldn't figure out how to copy the link.

ODU has a pretty good back in Ray Lawry.   He pulled a hamstring in their first game of the season and they thought they lost him for the year.   But, he returned full force last week and rushed for 166 yards.    ODU sorely missed him for 4 games this year.   He is a 4 year starter with a good YPC and averages over 1000 yds rushing a year.

Can't sleep on this guy.

• Upvote 1