New Age Recruiting Strategy

El Paso Eagle

There’s always talk about how you need facilities and fans in the stands to help recruiting. 

Facilities- UTSA has shown that’s not  necessarily true 

Attendance  - Look at what FAU is doing, they seem to do OK without anyone showing up for their games 

At least in the G5  it seems the personality of the coaches is as important as the facilities in the fan base 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

We didn't lose because of recruiting.

I have to disagree here. Yes this was the worst coaching and effort game of the season. But at its core we were outphsyicalled by a team that has a looot more recruiting "stars" than UNT. SL is awesonme at developing his players, but if today showed anything, it is that there are limits to how much you can do with development, and where the limits are, particularly on the lines.

• Upvote 1

And the upper classmen on this team are Mac's, just like the ones at FAU aren't Kiffin's.

Just now, Ben Gooding said:

WOW....

huh-gif.gif

So you think recruiting lost this game?  We got our asses handed to us because we weren't ready to play, we were flat and full of ourselves.  We play that game like we did against, S. Miss or Iowa, and we win walking away.  I know that doesn't square up with your agenda.

1 minute ago, UNTLifer said:

And the upper classmen on this team are Mac's, just like the ones at FAU aren't Kiffin's.

Yeah, but the upper classmen left to Kiffin were clearly higher rated than what Mac left to SL, (particularly those from the 2015 class) and the more than 30 players Kiffin added included loads of 3* and numerous former 4* players.

5 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

So you think recruiting lost this game?  We got our asses handed to us because we weren't ready to play, we were flat and full of ourselves.  We play that game like we did against, S. Miss or Iowa, and we win walking away.  I know that doesn't square up with your agenda.

Oh ok. So no credit to the better team tonight? The team with the same overall record as us? The team that has been far and away out recruiting us for the last forever? The team that hung 69 points on us? The conference peer that legitimately could've hung 100 points if they so chose? I don't mean a hypothetical 100 points. I mean a legitimate 100 points. Make you damn excuses. Toot your own horn. I have been having hesitations abut this staff since UTEP last year. I thought I was watching the same game today. But to my own demise, it was worse. We suck. The ROOT of the issue is recruiting. Call it whatever helps you sleep at night. I'll call it for what it is .

Just now, GMG24 said:

I'll disagree, wasn't a player on fau team that I wouldn't switch our starter for right now. 

giphy.gif

• Downvote 1

10 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

My point is not about this game, I was trying to acknowledge how at least its starting to seem at the G5 level the things you would think would help to recruit don't seem to be that important to a lot of kids.

Oh, with that I can agree.

8 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

Oh ok. So no credit to the better team tonight? The team with the same overall record as us? The team that has been far and away out recruiting us for the last forever? The team that hung 69 points on us? The conference peer that legitimately could've hung 100 points if they so chose? I don't mean a hypothetical 100 points. I mean a legitimate 100 points. Make you damn excuses. Toot your own horn. I have been having hesitations abut this staff since UTEP last year. I thought I was watching the same game today. But to my own demise, it was worse. We suck. The ROOT of the issue is recruiting. Call it whatever helps you sleep at night. I'll call it for what it is .

I think you are going a bit over board here Ben. The team was absolutely horrid today yes. And yes, I think this game shows exactly what the limits are with the current recruiting. And we absolutely do need SL to improve his recruiting at certain positions .

But that shouldn't make us forget that the team has also been incredibly clutch at times this season and that we did have several games where UNTs game plan and execution was simply better than that of the opposition, and that included some C-USA foes that are also our peers.

Edited by outoftown

5 minutes ago, outoftown said:

Oh, with that I can agree.

I think you are going a bit over board here Ben. The team was absolutely horrid today yes. And yes, I think this game shows exactly what the limits are with the current recruiting. And we absolutely do need SL to improve his recruiting at certain positions.

But that shouldn't make us forget that the team has also been incredibly clutch at times this season and that we did have several games where UNTs game plan and execution was simply better than that of the opposition, and that included some C-USA foes that are also our peers.

69 points behind hung on us by a 4-3 team will make me forget a lot. 

The UTSA was an anomaly. The 69 points suggest that. 

The USM game was players making plays. I mean, at some point, players will make plays, right? 

But 69 points erases all of that. I would be embarrassed to give up 69 points in Tuscaloosa, Alabama vs the #1 team in the nation. But, nope, we did it in Boca Rotan. I am not going overboard at all, and I am not sure how this can be even looked that way. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1