At Halftime.... Try and Remember

Cerebus

Let's try and remember, they can only beat us once today.  Even if USM and UAB win today we will still be #1 in the west due to our head to head records.  

At this point all I want is us to come out and be competitive in the second half.

If this team comes out and competes hard and wins the second half, then we are a team who could win the west.  If we roll up the tents, then don't expect that.  

And since someone asked in another thread:

LaTech is only 1-1, if they beat USM today we are still one half game in front of them.   Pull for USM.

19 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

Let's try and remember, they can only beat us once today.  Even if USM and UAB win today we will still be #1 in the west due to our head to head records.  

At this point all I want is us to come out and be competitive in the second half.

If this team comes out and competes hard and wins the second half, then we are a team who could win the west.  If we roll up the tents, then don't expect that.  

And since someone asked in another thread:

LaTech is only 1-1, if they beat USM today we are still one half game in front of them.   Pull for USM.

Wish we had more space between us and then 

I thought that I wouldn't see this poor of a performance with this coaching staff and these players.  They obviously weren't prepared and regardless of second half performance have been humiliated.  

This doesn't mean that NT can't win the division but I believe that the conference championship is out of the question.  We see how weak and vulnerable this team can be.  I do agree with Cerberus that both the offense and the defense must show up the second half and make up some of the 34 point halftime deficit if this team is to get back on course.  So far, we aren't doing that.

My worst fear is that they've lost a lot of fans for the next game.  Our culture is too fragile after too many seasons of losing to overcome our degree of apathy.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, GrayEagle said:

I thought that I wouldn't see this poor of a performance with this coaching staff and these players.  They obviously weren't prepared and regardless of second half performance have been humiliated.  

This doesn't mean that NT can't win the division but I believe that the conference championship is out of the question.  We see how weak and vulnerable this team can be.  I do agree with Cerberus that both the offense and the defense must show up the second half and make up some of the 34 point halftime deficit if this team is to get back on course.  So far, we aren't doing that.

My worst fear is that they've lost a lot of fans for the next game.  Our culture is too fragile after too many seasons of losing to overcome our degree of apathy.

I’m just going to  burst that bubble, but we likely have lost all fans who were on the fence 

• Upvote 3

28 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

Second half didn't look much better.  This can still be a very good year, just have to make sure everyone learns from this.

Have to agree, if they can go 3-2 the remaining games, which should be doable that is fine with me.. Yes it’s disappointing compared to the past few weeks but honestly we thought 6-8 wins was the best.. 

They laid an egg vs SMU and came back with 4 impressive performances.. let us hope this let them refocus and get off the high horse.. this team is not entitled to anything

30 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

Second half didn't look much better.  This can still be a very good year, just have to make sure everyone learns from this.

This is now officially a patchwork year to maintain the current fan base. No way in hell attendance sees a spike and to be frank, La Tech will child play us to an extent of what we saw today if we play like this. And TBH, UTEP, Rice, and ODU will be playing over our heads if we come out like this. Today, we were the worst team in CUSA. I had hesitant confidence going into this game. Moving forward, it's minimal to 0 confidence. 

It's difficult for me to beep the positive reinforcement horn after an ass whipping like what we saw today. Not sure how anyone can. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Ben Gooding said:

No way in hell attendance sees a spike and to be frank,

No way anything was going to do that this year.  We have been bad for a long time and it's going to take a while to fix our image.  

1 minute ago, Ben Gooding said:

It's difficult for me to beep the positive reinforcement horn after an ass whipping like what we saw today. Not sure how anyone can. 

It was silly to expect us to win out before today.  It is just as silly to expect us to look this bad for the rest of the year.

I'm not sure we are a "good" team this year.  More than likely we just are a "not too bad" team this year, but even VERY GOOD teams can have a terrible day.

If we learn from this, maybe stop reading our own press releases, then no big deal.  This team can still make very good things happen. 

Big job for the coaches to make sure this doesn't snowball. 

2 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

No way anything was going to do that this year.  We have been bad for a long time and it's going to take a while to fix our image.  

It was silly to expect us to win out before today.  It is just as silly to expect us to look this bad for the rest of the year.

I'm not sure we are a "good" team this year.  More than likely we just are a "not too bad" team this year, but even VERY GOOD teams can have a terrible day.

If we learn from this, maybe stop reading our own press releases, then no big deal.  This team can still make very good things happen. 

it's like you've seen sports before

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

Y’all act like this has just ruined the season. So a young team just got crushed on the road after a gigantic, emotional win over our rival...it happens all the time in football. 

Ive got news for you all—we aren’t and never have been the best team in CUSA West. We got off to a good start, but we don’t have the horses on defense yet. It’s not even close when we play anyone with a good QB and receivers or a strong running game. 

But we are still gonna finish with 6 wins or more. And go bowling again...which is a miracle when you think of where we were just two years ago. To act like attendance is gonna now be bad is just stupid—newsflash...we don’t ever have decent attendance unless it’s Homecoming after mid-October. Winning tonight or losing like we did isn’t making anyone decide to go to or stay home from the next riveting game against that well-known football school known as Old Dominion. That ain’t changing until we win a conference and beat a P5 team. Until then, the slow process of improvement continues...

4 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

This is the issue. I have seen season defining losses so many times before and not just for UNT, but for several programs. This fits the bill pretty well. Actually, textbook like. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Just now, Ben Gooding said:

This is the issue. I have seen season defining losses so many times before and not just for UNT, but for several programs. This fits the bill pretty well. Actually, textbook like. 

look at last 7 games of 2016, afraid that could happen again.

7 minutes ago, untbowler said:

Oh, it easily could. I am not disputing that. It very, very easily could. At this point, there is no reason for be to not think we will struggle vs Rice, ODU, and UTEP. As far as Army goes, that is a loss. Another, yet, program defining loss as it will be the most attended game of the 2017 season. 

9 minutes ago, untbowler said:

Different team, different season.  

2 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

At this point, there is no reason for be to not think we will struggle vs Rice, ODU, and UTEP. As far as Army goes, that is a loss. Another, yet, program defining loss as it will be the most attended game of the 2017 season. 

Except that there is just as much reason to believe that as there was to think we would win out when we beat UTSA.  It's just  a game people.   Teams plays over their heads sometimes, teams play way below their ability sometime. 

This year this team has more often than not come out well prepared and ready to play.  No reason to think that won't be the trend for the rest of the year.  

16 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

it's like you've seen sports before

It's almost like some people have never seen a game before.  And I mean the game that just happened.   It's the only thing that matters.

You know how babies lack object permanence?  Things cease to exist once they leave their vision? This is like the exact opposite of that.  Object Super Permanence.  

1 key defensive player whose been out due to injury & just this week has been trying to work his way back into our "D" & then our nose guard (English) eventually being OK'd to play coupled  with ..............the continued development & coaching (of the offensive line) makes me believe by the time we play our bowl game this team's maturation from today's big hiccup until the kick-off of our bowl game will be most noticeable.

Good things happened early this season for our team while we were still in the midst of development & we fans got all giddy about it, but  the whole foundation of this program Is not even half done. 

We all knew when this season began we were not at the juggernaut or steamroller stage & today's performance magnified it, but both players & coaches now know what they have to work on week in & week out.  

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Cerebus said:

USM wins in OT.  Despite our terrible day, here are the CUSA West standings:

• North Texas 3-1
  • USM 3-1
  • UAB 2-2
  • LaTech 1-2
  • UTSA 1-2
  • Rice 1-2
  • UTEP 0-3

We still control out destiny.  First thing is to properly prepare for ODU.

After watching their game against WKU, ODU is not going to be a cake walk.  Their 17 yo QB is very impressive.  

When you play our style of play you will have this game.  See Washington state, OU, tcu’s is coming, smu - Marshall appears to be well rounded as does southern miss.  We need to focus and take of this gift of a conference championship challenge.  We are just fortunate utsa worked out the way it did!

beat ODU

GMG

• Upvote 1