Calling Out The Defense

cdizzle86

32 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

Army will win TOP solely because they run the ball so much. We need to score early and often. Force Army into running an offensive style that they are not comfortable with in order to try to keep up -- namely make them put the ball in the air.

You wouldn't think this was the case but UTEP had the ball more than NT did -- 31:38 versus 28:22.

I know they'll win TOP. That's not in debate. We can't let them dominate it. It can't be something like Army - 42 UNT - 18. If it is, we and the team are in store for death by a thousand cuts on Saturday evening. 

9 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

I know they'll win TOP. That's not in debate. We can't let them dominate it. It can't be something like Army - 42 UNT - 18. If it is, we and the team are in store for death by a thousand cuts on Saturday evening. 

Not if we score 5/6 times in those 18 minutes. But yeah you don't want the TOP to be that lopsided.  I think it will be 35-25 or somewhere close to that. 

59 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

Agreed. If we can jump out to an early lead we'll be in a much better position making them play catch up. I'd even say take the ball first and try to score to start the game. Get them behind early and often and we'll have a shot

I agree. I know we like to defer to the second half, but I think this is a game that if we win the toss, we take the ball and try and score fast and often. I think we have more depth and if we can tire their defense with our speed, we should be okay. We already know they are methodical when they have the ball.

• Upvote 1

Just go back to what we did vs. them at Army... DL go for the dive, Khari go for the QB like Gray would last year, leaving and allowing for McClain to clean up the QB and the pitch man if its pitched. McClain better realize this is a game he can make up for alot of those early season struggles.

He was flat out dominant at army last year. 

Edited by BTG_Fan1
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Just go back to what we did vs. them at Army... DL go for the dive, Khari go for the QB like Gray would last year, leaving and allowing for McClain to clean up the QB and the pitch man if its pitched. McClain better realize this is a game he can make up for alot of those early season struggles.

He was flat out dominate at army last year. 

Dominant. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Venson said:

I agree. I know we like to defer to the second half, but I think this is a game that if we win the toss, we take the ball and try and score fast and often. I think we have more depth and if we can tire their defense with our speed, we should be okay. We already know they are methodical when they have the ball.

I agree. I prefer to defer as well, but agree that when you face such a different play style that we need to set the tone early.

Not having our offense on the field until 8:00 left in the first quarter could mean trouble.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Venson said:

This will be a game where the defense might really be helped by a little extra rest at the half.  I'd defer, if given the option.