Calling Out The Defense

cdizzle86

3 hours ago, EagleMBA said:

That...and a closing shot of the scoreboard...then fade to black.

Paint it black 

title it how to get your ass kicked in record fashion.

(How to make an opponent look like a national champion)

5 minutes ago, KingDL1 said:

Paint it black 

title it how to get your ass kicked in record fashion.

(How to make an opponent look like a national champion)

Upvote! This nailed it.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GRN-WHT said:

Have to fire Reffett. 

Giving up 804 yards to FAU is a fireable offense.

It’s not just this one game. The defense has been bad all season. You can’t rely on the offense to play lights out all season. The defense has to step it up and win a game themselves a time or two. 

Yep, and at this point I am not asking them to win the game themselves just hold up there end of bargain.  Just a couple of timely 3 and outs and a 3rd down conversion rate around 40% or less.  Those aren't team carrying stats.

However I still want to point out they are trying to figure out "perks" to keep a staff with a 9-11 overall record and a 6-6 conference record through a season and a half.  And you have fans coming at my mild comments about those 'perks" after watching one the most embarrassing losses ever.  smh #olddenton mentality

• Downvote 1

30 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

Yep, and at this point I am not asking them to win the game themselves just hold up there end of bargain.  Just a couple of timely 3 and outs and a 3rd down conversion rate around 40% or less.  Those aren't team carrying stats.

However I still want to point out they are trying to figure out "perks" to keep a staff with a 9-11 overall record and a 6-6 conference record through a season and a half.  And you have fans coming at my mild comments about those 'perks" after watching one the most embarrassing losses ever.  smh #olddenton mentality

Oh, lol, it's still the very old Denton mentality with many of the very old denton people around. Shit is puppies and rainbows, until it isn't. And no fan, according to many of fans around these here parts, will dictate when the puppies and rainbows stop. The AD or President or BOR will make that call and then and only then will negative comments and/or statements will come out on current and past performances. Until then, pups and rainbows for everyone. 

*If this was a perk setup to keep this staff intact, the AD has my most forthcoming permission to immediately stop these. 

Edited by Ben Gooding
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

I still would like to know what happened to the defense.  I missed the entire first half, thankfully, due to family obligations.  The first drive I saw was FAU’s first of the second half.  We had them in 3rd and 6, I believe, near midfield.  Singletary proceeded to break 6+ tackles on his way to a long gain down the left side.  Lots and lots of arm tackles.  Granted, we had already given up 41 at this point but not a lot of effort from our guys to actually try to wrap up and bring down the ball carrier.  I’m not going to go back and watch that first half, so my question is what the heck happened?  There’s a bunch of conjecture about pool parties and wives, but not much breakdown of what happened on the field.  Did the tempo just gas our guys out, did we get dominated on the line, terrible half a$$ed tackling, scheme/play calling, combination of everything?  At least on that one play we had guys in position to make a play, but didn’t.

3 hours ago, TIgreen01 said:

I still would like to know what happened to the defense.  I missed the entire first half, thankfully, due to family obligations.  The first drive I saw was FAU’s first of the second half.  We had them in 3rd and 6, I believe, near midfield.  Singletary proceeded to break 6+ tackles on his way to a long gain down the left side.  Lots and lots of arm tackles.  Granted, we had already given up 41 at this point but not a lot of effort from our guys to actually try to wrap up and bring down the ball carrier.  I’m not going to go back and watch that first half, so my question is what the heck happened?  There’s a bunch of conjecture about pool parties and wives, but not much breakdown of what happened on the field.  Did the tempo just gas our guys out, did we get dominated on the line, terrible half a$$ed tackling, scheme/play calling, combination of everything?  At least on that one play we had guys in position to make a play, but didn’t.

Combination of everything.  They looked unprepared to respond to the uptempo pace.   Even the coaching staff missed an opportunity to end a FAU offensive possession after a non-fumble was advanced for a first down with a timeout.   Even if they lose the challenge they were prepared for the next play so they needed a timeout anyway.

On 10/21/2017 at 9:33 PM, BTG_Fan1 said:

This defense allowed FAU to push them around.. it was from the first play, not in the middle of the game or are after half.. if they were gassed on the first drive 

Defense looked like total dog shit.   We can't have this happen again.  Defense hasn't been pretty all year.  If we expect to win the west, let alone the conference,  we are going to need to make major changes.  

2 minutes ago, diehardUNTfan said:

Defense looked like total dog shit.   We can't have this happen again.  Defense hasn't been pretty all year.  If we expect to win the west, let alone the conference,  we are going to need to make major changes.  

You can only hope and it should be be the likely outcome with us facing the UTEP, Rice, Army of the conference but we have already had 2 crap performances on defense in FAU and SMU

Anyone else think that our Mean Green " D" could ill afford to lose the likes of nose tackle Bryce English & defensive end Tillman Johnson (which we have thus far all season) & it not affect the performance of our entire defense?   I know Johnson played some last game but is probably not full speed ahead at this time. 

Still, with those 2 back on the field doesn't our defense have a whole new outlook?

GMG!

• Lovely Take 1

8 minutes ago, Harry said:

Team has one away game a year they bring their wives to, and has done that for years, decades.  So I have no problem with that.

Agreed, don’t think it should be a problem.. I’m going to guess it didn’t affect the coaches, but again this is just my gut/hope. I’m assuming it didn’t change the normal travel schedule or anything, and if it did it’s pretty dumb.

Again this team was not in the right mindset and did not want to play a game that was important to both teams.. 

• Lovely Take 1

52 minutes ago, Harry said:

Team has one away game a year they bring their wives to, and has done that for years, decades.  So I have no problem with that.

Exactly. This loss is largely on the coaches to me. Wives or not, they got taken out back and stomped by some actual big time football guys!

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, TIgreen01 said:

What's our record in those games?  Honest question cause I have no clue how to track/search that.  And no, I don't expect an answer...

I could be wrong, but I want to say they took the wifes to the Army game last year... I wanna say WB had posted up some pics of them at West Point but I could be wrong..

If it was West Point its 1-1.. With it being 1 blow out for and against us..

I have a hard time understanding why some of you guys (who I would consider pretty plugged-in) cannot see the difference between how the team played 10/21, and how they played the rest of the year so far.   That was a different team.  The intensity, effort, etc....   They did not play to the same level they normally do.    If we see that same effort this weekend, something is seriously wrong in the lockerroom... and it will get exposed.   I just don't think we'll see that same poor effort again this season, at all.
That said, the Mean Green defense REALLY SUCKS on 3rd down.  That is nothing new though.   If they cannot figure that out & improve by the end of the year, I expect SL will not bring TR back.

• 3 weeks later...

After the dominating performance against UTEP, defense moved up to 83rd. Hopefully we can shut down their run and leave a spy on their QB if he scrambles. We have a problem with scrambling QBs. Looks like when that happens everyone is just arm tackling. Then he throws and secondary gets lost when it's a duck.

In case anyone didn't know this already but the last time the defense allowed a touchdown was the 2nd quarter against LaTech. I'm sure Army will score a couple touchdowns but the offense needs to do its job and score more points, especially early in the game.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

1 hour ago, Venson said:

After the dominating performance against UTEP, defense moved up to 83rd. Hopefully we can shut down their run and leave a spy on their QB if he scrambles. We have a problem with scrambling QBs. Looks like when that happens everyone is just arm tackling. Then he throws and secondary gets lost when it's a duck.

It's not that he's a scrambling QB, it's that he's a runner getting a direct snap.

Army tends to just fall forward for about 5-6 yards.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Ben Gooding said:

We can't let them dominate TOP. And we can't let them play with a lead. 

We do those 2 things, we win this game going away. Much, much easier said than done though. 

Agreed. If we can jump out to an early lead we'll be in a much better position making them play catch up. I'd even say take the ball first and try to score to start the game. Get them behind early and often and we'll have a shot

Just now, Ben Gooding said:

We can't let them dominate TOP. And we can't let them play with a lead. 

We do those 2 things, we win this game going away. Much, much easier said than done though. 

Army will win TOP solely because they run the ball so much. We need to score early and often. Force Army into running an offensive style that they are not comfortable with in order to try to keep up -- namely make them put the ball in the air.

You wouldn't think this was the case but UTEP had the ball more than NT did -- 31:38 versus 28:22.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Defense overall is playing very well now.   Army is a tremendous challenge, but staff and team should be very used to playing this team.   They did throw one pass in their last game, but curtail the QB running and NT wins the game.  

I couldn't agree more.

35 minutes ago, Aldo said:

It's not that he's a scrambling QB, it's that he's a runner getting a direct snap.

Army tends to just fall forward for about 5-6 yards.

I know he is not a scrambler, but we have trouble with teams like that. I think I would just have him scramble if I was them and watch him pick up 10-20 yards each time. LOL. I know that's not a game plan, but every time it happens, it is frustrating to watch. 

Now in all seriousness, if we can slow down their run and protect Fine, we should win this game. Wheeler coming back helps. Would be nice to get English back and see him in a couple of snaps. That could provide some relief for the DL.