Will 6-2 in Conference Play Win the West?

MGNation92

7 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

Since everybody else in the West already has 1 loss, it comes down to two scenarios:

1)  Beat FAU and sweep UTEP/Rice, we win the division

2)  Lose to FAU and sweep UTEP/Rice, we will probably need to beat LaTech if they don't lose another conference game because they will get the heads up tie breaker. 

This weekend matters.  A whole bunch.  We win this weekend, the goal is in sight, in hand.  Then we start talking what it takes to host the game. 

The good news is La Tech still also has to play USM, FAU and UTSA.  But yes, let’s habdle business and control our destiny. 

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, greenjoe said:

Ironic.  When championship game parking passes were sent out with season tickets we fell flat.  Now we are hot and parking passes are not.  Never fails. 

GO MEAN GREEN

Parking for a potential championship game host is the absolute least of my concerns at the moment.  

I did look and see if I still had the parking pass from that ridiculous ticket package, but alas, it seems to be no more. 

2 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I disagree.  I think a conference championship game would be just what the doctor ordered.   And what an opportunity to put a ton of money into our coffers!

I think if we go into the Army game at 8-2 and they're 7-3 or 6-4 it could be the recipe for the first sellout at Apogee. 

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Sorry, you have a whole regular season to do ticket specials and giveaways.  You do not give away the tickets for the conference championship game, assuming we are even in it and host it.

So assuming we make it, and 23,000 people actually buy tickets, what then? 

12 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

So being the ultimate pessimist that I am, I think our two best chances of losing are this week at FAU and at LaTech. Lets assume we beat ODU, Rice, and UTEP to finish the season, does 6-2 in the west get us to the Championship game? 

I think its close/possible to go 6-2 and win it..

USM plays LAT (this weekend) and UAB, 

LAT plays UNT, USM, and UTSA

UAB has USM and UTSA 

UTSA has LAT and UAB left..

It will be a challenge, but UNT has been through most of the tough west competition and came out ahead, I think most of us would have taken 3-1 out of USM, UTSA, UAB, and LAT. The challenge is that we maintain this streak. LAT is the last West challenger and that is another big game for us because if they have only 1 loss, and we have 0 at the time of the game.. IF LAT wins that game, they move ahead of us in the standings. 

The key to this at this moment in time is this:  The game at LA. Tech is the game that needs to be circled on the schedule.  If we lose that game they own us in the tiebreaker.  

The game this weekend is important in the race to host the championship game.  If we lose it does nothing to hurt our chances in the West other than eliminating our mulligan against all the teams not named LA. Tech.

No matter what happens this weekend, if we beat LA. Tech and then run the table against ODU, Rice, and UTEP then we win the west. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

When would the championship game be IF we did make it?

Saturday, December 2nd

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Of course!   They're not going to give away seats...

I just wasn't sure if we'd have to buy them or not.  Since they sent them to us prematurely and for free a few years ago, I feel like I'm getting mixed signals.  I'm sure they would have honored those tickets and parking passes if they sent them to us that year.  But I'd have no problem having to buy them either.

6 minutes ago, Moobs said:

Saturday, December 2nd

I just wasn't sure if we'd have to buy them or not.  Since they sent them to us prematurely and for free a few years ago, I feel like I'm getting mixed signals.  I'm sure they would have honored those tickets and parking passes if they sent them to us that year.  But I'd have no problem having to buy them either.

They sent a parking pass.   Not tickets to the championship game.   They're going to charge everyone for tickets/parking (as they should) for an extra game.  

IF this were to happen, I would just hope they don't gouge their season ticket holders and offer their seats at the season ticket per-game price.

I grew up in Denton.  That place might as well be LA when it comes to the “I’ll go if there is buzz and it’s fashionable” crowd.  Dentonites don’t support the local high schools, until they are playing deep in the playoffs...then they come out in droves.  

If we host the CUSA Championship as a 8+ win team then we will get plenty of butts in seats.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

13 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

So being the ultimate pessimist that I am, I think our two best chances of losing are this week at FAU and at LaTech. Lets assume we beat ODU, Rice, and UTEP to finish the season, does 6-2 in the west get us to the Championship game? 

Well, I kind of get the pessimism. Playing FAU at this very point in time has to be the among the most North Texas luck ever. FAU sucked for years when UNT never got to play them, but UNT plays them now, not only when they are coming back to being good, but also straight after a bye-week which is big for a team that had so many transfers who all still need more acquaintance with the system and right after playing a very physical game with UTSA which I am sure left more than a few bruises.

Imagine how close to wrapping this up UNT would be, if instead of ODU and FAU, C-USA would have put Charlotte and FIU on the schedule.

On top of that I assume FAU will play UNT again next season.

Edited by outoftown

If weather holds, this will be an ugly game. Ugly games are hard to predict. The team that can suck the life out of the ball with the most success will probably squeeze it out. 

With that, I don't see UNT looking prolific on offense if the weather holds. Fine kind of has a bit of a track record in bad weather. So it will be UNT rushing attack vs FAU rushing attack. Both running games are good. The issue though is that our running game is often times predicated on our passing success. FAU's running game is dictated and force fed out of necessity. On the flip side of that argument is that our rushing D is much better than FAU's rush D, almost 100 yards better. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1