Best draft analyst Dane Brugler quick observation of Guyton

p_phelps

• p_phelps changed the title to Best draft analyst Dane Brugler quick observation of Guyton
1 hour ago, LETitFLYguy said:

HE won't leave after this year, Go5 conference player needs a lot of tape to be taken seriously.  Even Sutton stayed at SMU

A similar case I see myself comparing Guyton to, given similar height/frame and speed, is Davante Adams. Adams redshirted then played as a RS Freshman and RS Sophomore then declared and got drafted in the second round, out of a G5 (then non-AQ) school.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, LETitFLYguy said:

HE won't leave after this year, Go5 conference player needs a lot of tape to be taken seriously.  Even Sutton stayed at SMU

I believe Sutton is a true junior this year so he isn't eligible until after this season anyway. 

Edit: I was mistaken... he redshirted in 2015 and played basketball for a year also. 

Edited by MeanGreen13
  • Lovely Take 1

26 minutes ago, MeanGreen13 said:

I believe Sutton is a true junior this year so he isn't eligible until after this season anyway. 

Edit: I was mistaken... he redshirted in 2015 and played basketball for a year also. 

Sutton is going pro this yr no doubt. he's probably the top one in this yrs draft just on size/speed combo. He's a 1-2 at the very least

4 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

A similar case I see myself comparing Guyton to, given similar height/frame and speed, is Davante Adams. Adams redshirted then played as a RS Freshman and RS Sophomore then declared and got drafted in the second round, out of a G5 (then non-AQ) school.

Adams also put up 102/1312/14 his RS-FR year, then 131/1719/24 his RS-SO year.. it also didn’t hurt him having Derek Carr at QB

if Guyton can do that, it would be amazing.. on top of him going early, Adams was #53 overall  in the 2nd round

Maybe Guyton wants to play close to home and has  great chemistry with Fine.  He can put up big numbers here. We don't understand winning here, we have success and now we are worried the coaches and players are leaving.  Never had that problem with Mac.  So which situation do you prefer?

Edited by southsideguy
  • Upvote 3

23 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

Maybe Guyton wants to play close to home and has  great chemistry with Fine.  He can put up big numbers here. We don't understand winning here, we have success and now we are worried the coaches and players are leaving.  Never had that problem with Mac.  So which situation do you prefer?

I'd love for Guyton to leave early and be a 1st Rd pick! That would be a huge milestone for us.

7 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Adams also put up 102/1312/14 his RS-FR year, then 131/1719/24 his RS-SO year.. it also didn’t hurt him having Derek Carr at QB

if Guyton can do that, it would be amazing.. on top of him going early, Adams was #53 overall  in the 2nd round

Guyton's RS Sophomore numbers are projected to pass Adams RS Freshman numbers in yards and TDs. No reason he couldn't put up 1,700 next year to match Adams' RS Sophomore year if he and Fine stay healthy. Fine is plenty good at getting him the ball even if he isn't an NFL QB.

It sounds like you're implying #53 overall is a low 2nd round pick. Not sure why you're mentioning the specific pick number otherwise. It may be in the lower half, but if Guyton were told he would likely go within 10 picks either way of 53rd, he'd have a very hard time passing that up. 

On top of that, people have to consider that Guyton will be a redshirt junior next year, so it will be his 4th year of college. Not sure where he is in his degree plan, but redshirt juniors are sometimes done with their degree that year so declaring early doesn't always mean leaving before they graduate. Not sure if it's true for Guyton or not.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, p_phelps said:

I'd love for Guyton to leave early and be a 1st Rd pick! That would be a huge milestone for us.

I'd love for Guyton to stay two more years and be a first round pick for us. The records he'd break for us would be just as big a milestone as first round draft status if we are talking the totality of North Texas football history.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

It sounds like you're implying #53 overall is a low 2nd round pick. Not sure why you're mentioning the specific pick number otherwise. It may be in the lower half, but if Guyton were told he would likely go within 10 picks either way of 53rd, he'd have a very hard time passing that up. 

The comment about having Carr at QB likely lead to Adams getting a few more looks (at first) because of the QB.. Guyton likely doesn't have someone else that is drawing scouts to UNT, then scouts notice Guyton.. Maybe Wilson is, but no idea..

I agree that Guyton could and should pass those numbers in terms of yardage and hopefully TDs as well. If he does, it only opens up the offense hopefully even more and allows for others to get open. 

I was only bringing up the round/pick for individuals that were not aware of where Adams went with the stats that he had put up. Also, UNT just needs to get a couple of kids drafted.. Our streak of going like 14/15 years without a draft pick, we can not and should not be picky of where they go in the draft. To compare it, Carlos Henderson the LAT WR went in the 3rd round. 

• Lovely Take 1

24 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

The comment about having Carr at QB likely lead to Adams getting a few more looks (at first) because of the QB.. Guyton likely doesn't have someone else that is drawing scouts to UNT, then scouts notice Guyton.. Maybe Wilson is, but no idea..

I agree that Guyton could and should pass those numbers in terms of yardage and hopefully TDs as well. If he does, it only opens up the offense hopefully even more and allows for others to get open. 

I was only bringing up the round/pick for individuals that were not aware of where Adams went with the stats that he had put up. Also, UNT just needs to get a couple of kids drafted.. Our streak of going like 14/15 years without a draft pick, we can not and should not be picky of where they go in the draft. To compare it, Carlos Henderson the LAT WR went in the 3rd round. 

Scouts coming to look at Jeffrey.    Likely also intrigued by Murray's size.  And I'm sure they're very aware of Guyton's numbers.
Guyton will have plenty of opportunities to shine in front of NFL personnel.

Just now, MeanGreenTexan said:

Scouts coming to look at Jeffrey.    Likely also intrigued by Murray's size.  And I'm sure they're very aware of Guyton's numbers.
Guyton will have plenty of opportunities to shine in front of NFL personnel.

True some scout possibly are looking at Jeff, and are intrigued by Murray size.. Before the season the Football team tweeted a list of 12/15 teams that had visited, but they haven't tweeted that out during the season, so we have no idea.. Vito I believe talked about the Ravens visiting before/early in the season but no such reports since very early in the season/pre-season. I have no idea if Vito has access to finding out which teams have visited/come to the games, but @Brett Vito if you do.. anyway we could find out?

Most likely it was teams doing research/ looking at kids to possibly come back and look at, if it was in the preseason them marking off possible targets for them to look at later. Its likely a major plus to our guys the offense being #12 in the nation, but I don't think teams are flooding the press-box with scouts just yet. Get into the Championship game and it only have 9/10 games that weekend and then it maybe full. 

• Lovely Take 1

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Venson said:

People were talking about Guyton getting drafted a few weeks ago and now he has all but disappeared. Hopefully he gets back on track and we find a way to get him the football today against Army.

I think it's more defenses figuring it out than anything changing on our side. Will force us to use him as more than a one trick pony.