GoMeanGreen.com Barbershop Podcast #187

Harry

This show we talk about one of the most thrilling Mean Green Football team come from behind wins in the history of the program as UNT defeated conference rival Texas San Antonio 29-26 at home.  UNT alums @Evan, @Harry, and @BeyondTheGreen give their hot sports thoughts on this amazing game and mix in some FAU game talk as well. 

Audio Link:  http://gomeangreenbarbershop.libsyn.com/podcast/gmgpod187-101817-10-30-pm

View full article

12 hours ago, Harry said:

gallery_1_23_481.jpg

This show we talk about one of the most thrilling Mean Green Football team come from behind wins in the history of the program as UNT defeats conference rival Texas San Antonio 29-26 at home.  UNT alums @Evan @Harry and @BeyondTheGreen take a look back at this amazing win and mix in some FAU game talk as well. 

Audio Link:  http://gomeangreenbarbershop.libsyn.com/podcast/gmgpod187-101817-10-30-pm

I Listened. As someone who stayed and always stayed (including freezing rain game for seniors two years ago), I find the gripe of people leaving completely unwarranted. We've been BAD for a decade. Some of these guys were on those teams contributed to the culture and teams that went 1-11. The fans don't owe you anything. AND, outside of the aggies most teams would have seen similar results, especially in the G5 landscape. and @BeyondTheGreen is correct, Longhorns and Sooners aren't UNT fans, but PLENTY of UNT fans grew up sooners and longhorns fans.

And over their time at UNT, when we weren't good they took solace in other teams. There will always be a hardcore base who shows up, chats on forums, proselytizes for the Mean Green. We need to grow that base who feels that way but we need more wins. It was a great , if not the greatest moment i've experienced, incredibly glad I didn't miss it, but the players outrage is super misplaced. 

• Thanks 3

I think the big, main reason people left after we failed to convert that 4th down late in the game is because so many people have been beaten down by failures of making the necessary plays for years now. I hope lots of people may have learned a lesson there as this team shouldn't be counted out.

Also, love @BeyondTheGreen's rant on a needed fan philosophy change that has to take place.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

46 minutes ago, Caw Caw said:

I Listened. As someone who stayed and always stayed (including freezing rain game for seniors two years ago), I find the gripe of people leaving completely unwarranted. We've been BAD for a decade. Some of these guys were on those teams contributed to the culture and teams that went 1-11. The fans don't owe you anything. AND, outside of the aggies most teams would have seen similar results, especially in the G5 landscape. and @BeyondTheGreen is correct, Longhorns and Sooners aren't UNT fans, but PLENTY of UNT fans grew up sooners and longhorns fans.

And over their time at UNT, when we weren't good they took solace in other teams. There will always be a hardcore base who shows up, chats on forums, proselytizes for the Mean Green. We need to grow that base who feels that way but we need more wins. It was a great , if not the greatest moment i've experienced, incredibly glad I didn't miss it, but the players outrage is super misplaced. 

Well stated.  Appreciate the feedback and thanks for listening.  GMG

A couple comments:

It sounded like @BeyondTheGreen was saying that the AD is meeting their end of the bargain, so it’s time for the fans to come back.  Are our attendance levels down significantly?   I think what we need are new fans in order to fill the seats. 

@Evan made a comment about Marshall being the only CUSA-East team undefeated in conference, as I recall.  FAU is also undefeated in conference.  

Great podcast!  Great passion!

Edited by UNT 90 Grad
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

A couple comments:

It sounded like @BeyondTheGreen was saying that the AD is meeting their end of the bargain, so it’s tme for the fans to come back.  Are our attendance levels down significantly?   I think what we need are new fans in order to fill the seats.

I'm starting to get sick of hearing this already, and others who post on here that the fan base is awful and needs to just show up. You can't be serious?

We've been bad for 40 years.  This 4-2 record is our best after 6 games since 1978 when we were 5-1. We've had 5 winning seasons in that same time. We've had 1 winning season since 2004. The fact anyone cares at all is amazing.

Just because the AD dept. started doing what they should have been doing for the last 40 years for what, like 3 games, it's the fan's fault? That sounds like something RV would have said (and did to us many times).

We need all fans to come and berating them for not doing it right, or having left, or having given up before on rants so they shoudn't come back is dumb and short-sighted.

Kudos for winning some game finally and doing some marketing finally. Keep doing it and it will eventually improve.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, MeanGreenHoops said:

I'm starting to get sick of hearing this already, and others who post on here that the fan base is awful and needs to just show up. You can't be serious?

We've been bad for 40 years.  This 4-2 record is our best after 6 games since 1978 when we were 5-1. We've had 5 winning seasons in that same time. We've had 1 winning season since 2004. The fact anyone cares at all is amazing.

Just because the AD dept. started doing what they should have been doing for the last 40 years for what, like 3 games, it's the fan's fault? That sounds like something RV would have said (and did to us many times).

We need all fans to come and berating them for not doing it right, or having left, or having given up before on rants so they shoudn't come back is dumb and short-sighted.

Kudos for winning some game finally and doing some marketing finally. Keep doing it and it will eventually improve.

Amen.   Folks (like me) who left the game early missed the drive of all drives.  The last thing we need is somebody rubbing it in calling us bad fans.  We should want all the MGC/Season Ticket holders we can get-even if they don't have the sense of when to leave.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Nearly every G5 and half of the P5's have attendance issues.   No one has to go to a game.  I am not sure ranting about people who could not care less about NT football serves any purpose.   If it did, there would be sellouts everywhere.  

I agree that the product is better and the current AD is certainly trying.  Building attendance is a slow grinding process.  You're not going to shame anyone into going to a game.  All you can do is build the best program you can and increase the likelihood of people attending

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

My main point was, for a while now the majority of our fanbase has wanted change.  Change in the administration, direction athletics was heading, style of football etc etc.  Now that the changes are beginning to take shape, hopefully fans will take note of that and excitement/support will grow.  We all wanted it and from the looks of it, it is here.  So with that being said, we should be very enthusiastic and not continue to dwell on the negatives.  Some of those wounds are still fresh, but there is reason for optimism.  

I'm not trying to call anyone bad fans.  I was hoping the tailgating scene to be larger for the UTSA game and for us to reach 26,000 in attendance, given the magnitude of the game.  There were a few moments during it where the volume was unreal.  Imagine if there was 3,000-4,000 more there. But if you are a beaten down fan who wants some proof before they jump back on board, thats fair.  

I do think that if you are one of those who was vocal about a change, you need to be supporting whats going on.  It will help the cause considerably. 

GMG