Odds Harrell and Filani leave for UTEP?

Andrew

32 minutes ago, Andrew said:

It's not speculation as they are in looking into offering Graham the head coach positions and Filani would move in as the OC. It could obviously fall apart or they could wait for better options, but it's definitely not rumor/speculation. It just doesn't mean they have to accept any offer UTEP throws their way. 

Where is this rumor about Filani being the OC? This is the first I have heard of that, and would be shocked if that happened.. 

2 hours ago, NorthTexan95 said:

If Arizona State fires Todd Graham then Seth could be an option there. 

He just beat the #5 team in the Nation... 

12 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Where is this rumor about Filani being the OC? This is the first I have heard of that, and would be shocked if that happened.. 

He just beat the #5 team in the Nation... 

OC at UTEP not UNT. They would go together. It doesn't mean they will, but UTEP will go after both of hard. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, Andrew said:

It's not speculation as they are in looking into offering Graham the head coach positions and Filani would move in as the OC. It could obviously fall apart or they could wait for better options, but it's definitely not rumor/speculation. 

It's not speculation?  Have they interviewed Graham, or even contacted him to gauge interest?  All I know is message boards and a few sportswriters have talked about it, which leaves it purely in the realm of speculation.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Rudy said:

What is the incentive to go to UTEP?

FCS Head Coaching jobs don't come around too often. IF, and that is a big IF, you can win 6-7 games at UTEP they will get 30K+ in the stands and if somehow you get to around 8-9 W's there would be 40K+. That being said, no way should GH make the move unless they get the AD first, and there is a serious commitment (in writing)  for major changes in the funding.

53 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

It's not speculation?  Have they interviewed Graham, or even contacted him to gauge interest?  All I know is message boards and a few sportswriters have talked about it, which leaves it purely in the realm of speculation.

Well I did not know any message boards or sports writers had talked about it. I just heard about it today. I cannot say if they have or have not been in contact with Graham, but it's a possibility he leaves for UTEP at the end of the year. Nothing is set in stone, but if he chooses to leave, UTEP would be waiting. I'm hoping everyone stays for a few more years and we keep winning to make them marketable. Help Littrel get that Baylor job. Let's just keep winning because everyone wins. 

Edited by Andrew
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

7 hours ago, dmaxel said:

I've been thinking about how we're going to have to increase our spending as we want to continually improve. I just hope we have the funding for that and that the university buys in.

You are are absolutely right about an increase in spending. However, part of the problem is that the thousands and thousands of Alumni in the DFW area won't even support the athletics department. Hell, they don't even come to games. The stadium is only 30,850 and we cannot even fill that. So, in order to make more money, people should at least start coming to the games. UNT has been the 4th largest university in the state for over 30 years and yet more people show up at TCU games and they are only about 1/7th the size of UNT. Their alumni support them. UNT alumni support other schools for sports and that's the shame. I bet more UNT alumni spent the money to go to the Texas vs OU game and wouldn't even spend a dime going to a UNT game. How can we build a winner and keep good coaches when the alumni won't even pay to come to the games? Just my opinion. I am an alumni and I go to the games so I know some alumni do support athletics. I just wish more did.

7 hours ago, GreenN'walinsVet said:

Not sure North Texas was viewed any different two years ago

You are right, but there are two major differences between UNT and UTEP. 

1. UNT is in a hotbed for recruiting and UTEP not so much.

2. Living in DFW is hundreds of times better than El Paso.

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 1

Ad nauseam time from yours truly, but for the average fan to buy in to our program we have to elevate it  from being a one hit wonder kind of program & put several winning seasons in a row together.  Then to really get their attention play some P5 teams & win some of those games.  To garner an attitude from the average fan like "hellsbells, they are really serious about all this"  then we need to beat some Top 25 ranked teams a la former conference-mate Boise State.  

DFW is a major league sports market & we have major league sports fans among our DFW alumnus base. History says they just  won't show for teams they haven't heard of like, uh, basketball school Old Dominion who we play in 2 Saturdays?  

The Sun Belt & CUSA are filled with schools I'd never heard of when I was a UNT student in the 70's.  SMU gets our average fan's attention because of who they used to be.

Even more the reason our school needs to step up its Game Day  promotions program.  We had 7,000 empty seats for the UTSA game & most our home games.   Can we find those additional 7,000 fans in the 7 million citizens populated Metroplex to fill those seats every game?  Truth be told, we could probably get at least half that 7,000 number from our UNT student body.

* Denton County is close to having  1,000,000 citizens.  When I was UNT student, Denton County had a population of 99,000.

Just my .02.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, DentonLurker said:

UTEP doesn’t even have an AD at the moment. I wouldn’t think HC gets hired before AD. Who knows who they land and what that AD would be interested in?!?!

We hired SL before we hired WB. 

Some will point out that RV was still here when we hired SL, and technically, that is true. But RV wasn’t involved in this hire. It was all NS making the hire.  If RV had anything to do with this hire or the success, he’d probably still be here. 

The point is that you don’t need an AD to hire the HC. 

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Moobs said:

We hired SL before we hired WB. 

Some will point out that RV was still here when we hired SL, and technically, that is true. But RV wasn’t involved in this hire. It was all NS making the hire.  If RV had anything to do with this hire or the success, he’d probably still be here. 

The point is that you don’t need an AD to hire the HC. 

Sorry to burst this bubble, but that's not true... at all.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 2

13 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

I think you’ve got a more realistic possibility that the Tech job opens up anc SL, GH, and Filani head back to the South Plains...we need coach Bro to finish this season with 8 wins...

13 hours ago, NorthTexan95 said:

If Arizona State fires Todd Graham then Seth could be an option there. 

If either of these happen and Harrell goes too, then who does UNT keep as HC or do we go get someone else?

Just now, greeneagle1 said:

If either of these happen and Harrell goes too, then who does UNT keep as HC or do we go get someone else?

If Seth goes I don't think it's guaranteed that Harrell gets the job.  Other than those two I think Baker goes outside to hire another young offensive coordinator.  He would probably look very closely at tapping that Air Raid tree again. 

• Lovely Take 1

If we lost Harrell, I would be okay with Mainord stepping up to OC. I really hope we dont, as I think UTEP would be making a huge mistake. We've had one good offensive year, and our recruiting is still pretty subpar. I think we'll need 2-3 consistent winning years before they get poached. 

• Upvote 2

I think everyone is really jumping the gun on this.  Recruiting rankings are weighed hugely in any decisions an AD in hiring/firing coaches.  Butch Davis has a top 5 class already for next year, and that is one of the reasons many people think he could be back next year.  Who knows, but when you measure us against our peers, the staff doesn't look like world beaters on the recruiting front.  But, if we go 9-3, it may show that they can win with any kids.  Still.......have to slow our roll until this season pans at as we all hope.

• Thanks 1

On 10/18/2017 at 9:44 PM, Rudy said:

What is the incentive to go to UTEP?

Who doesn't want to be the head of an organization? Even if it's small and in the dumps building the program in a matter of years will get you larger offers. 

Edited by Andrew
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, edcollopy said:

I think everyone is really jumping the gun on this.  Recruiting rankings are weighed hugely in any decisions an AD in hiring/firing coaches.  Butch Davis has a top 5 class already for next year, and that is one of the reasons many people think he could be back next year.  Who knows, but when you measure us against our peers, the staff doesn't look like world beaters on the recruiting front.  But, if we go 9-3, it may show that they can win with any kids.  Still.......have to slow our roll until this season pans at as we all hope.

Do you mean Butch Jones?

• Thanks 1