3,000 - 1,000 - 1,000

bdan2002

In 1968 we came close. Steve Ramsey had 2,516 yards passing, Leo Taylor had 1,017 yards rushing, and Barry Moore had 1,053 yards receiving. Of course that team had 12 eventual pro draftees, including 1st round picks, Joe Greene, and Cedric Hardman and 2nd round WR, Ron Shanklin as well as 5 others in the first 10 rounds.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Eagleisland said:

In 1968 we came close. Steve Ramsey had 2,516 yards passing, Leo Taylor had 1,017 yards rushing, and Barry Moore had 1,053 yards receiving. Of course that team had 12 eventual pro draftees, including 1st round picks, Joe Greene, and Cedric Hardman and 2nd round WR, Ron Shanklin as well as 5 others in the first 10 rounds.

In 10 game seasons back then.  So when the “older” fans refer to North Texas football back in the day, Eagleisland’s post is why.  We had some really good players.

• Lovely Take 1

5 hours ago, Eagleisland said:

Damn.  Wished I had been old enough to of seen that team play.

Rick

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Eagleisland said:

When Shank' coached for Corky Nelson he'd recruit Fort Worth & drop by my office on occasion & we'd eat lunch at Dos Gringos near UNT Health Science Center--it was always Dos Gringos. LOL!

Abner Haynes was with Ron on one of those FW  visits & that was real Mean Green magic for this alum, but....I never knew nor did I ever ask RS what round he was drafted. Thanks, EagleIsland for that enlightenment!  👍👍

PS:  

For you real oldtimers, Shank told me a star Arkansas Razorback (Bill Montgomery?) once called him when he was with the Steelers apologizing to him for the UNT game-winner he'd caught against Frank Broyles Hogs that was negated by an SWC homer referee.  I do believe Deep Green was at that game, too, & witnessed that catch.  (I was in High School in the Houston area). 

❇️ Shank called Abner Haynes: Father Time!😆

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Thanks 3

11 hours ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

When Shank' coached for Corky Nelson he'd recruit Fort Worth & drop by my office on occasion & we'd eat lunch at Dos Gringos near UNT Health Science Center--it was always Dos Gringos. LOL!

Abner Haynes was with Ron on one of those FW  visits & that was real Mean Green magic for this alum, but....I never knew nor did I ever ask RS what round he was drafted. Thanks, EagleIsland for that enlightenment!  👍👍

PS:  

For you real oldtimers, Shank told me a star Arkansas Razorback (Bill Montgomery?) once called him when he was with the Steelers apologizing to him for the UNT game-winner he'd caught against Frank Broyles Hogs that was negated by an SWC homer referee.  I do believe Deep Green was at that game, too, & witnessed that catch.  (I was in High School in the Houston area). 

❇️ Shank called Abner Haynes: Father Time!😆

GMG!

If you look at our schedule from the 60's the only SWC school that played us was Arkansas. I think about that from time to time when I hear Hayden Fry's stories about how some of his fellow SWC coaches reacted to him (very negatively) when he recruited and played a player of color in the SWC. Is that why we had to play teams like Parson's College and the San Diego Marines in the 60's? Surely there were more SWC schools besides Arkansas that had some non-conference openings during the 60's. Is racism the reason we didn't get more high profile "opportunity" games?

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

If you look at our schedule from the 60's the only SWC school that played us was Arkansas. I think about that from time to time when I hear Hayden Fry's stories about how some of his fellow SWC coaches reacted to him (very negatively) when he recruited and played a player of color in the SWC. Is that why we had to play teams like Parson's College and the San Diego Marines in the 60's? Surely there were more SWC schools besides Arkansas that had some non-conference openings during the 60's. Is racism the reason we didn't get more high profile "opportunity" games?

Yes, Bill, I believe it was. 😟

• Thanks 2

To give some of the younger fans an idea of how good the '68 team was, the Arkansas team lost only to Texas to be co-champions of the SWC.  Texas went to the Cotton Bowl, and Arkansas went to the Sugar Bowl to play the SEC champion, Georgia.  The Razorbacks(ranked ninth) beat UGA(ranked fourth).  And, yes we were robbed.  

Broyles did not expect what he got. This was Rust's team playing with Odus Mitchell's recruits.  Broyles only scheduled OOC games he thought he could win.  One of his quotes (supposedly) was, "In December, no one remembers who you played only if you won or lost.  If racism is a problem now, it was worse back then.  So it likely played a part in scheduling with teams in the South and Southwest.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, James said:

Young fans need to be more educated on this program’s rich history. I don’t want time to swallow up these stories. 

Exactly.  I have had several young FF's who are alumni stop by my locker at work and read some of the articles I have kept over the years, not realizing our rich history and traditions.

The AD could use a liaison alumn who is great at meeting folks, who can also bridge the past with the present.  Someone who was maybe here from the Rust or Fry days and has seen and experienced the great times and who can recall the specifics and help us sell our future.  I know of several guys who fit this criteria, .....one in particular, who is a walking, talking dictionary of all things Mean Green and loves meeting the public. Mr. Baker should give him a call.

Rick