Rewatched UNT vs UTSA Game

GMG24

50 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

d also like to go in record saying I'm not a fan of any of the zoom motions where we hand the pop off to Guyton,  he runs good routes and has good speed.  Just throw it to him.

I thought they went to the well too often on that as well.  His 1st one was good and then they kept going back to it.

1 hour ago, GMG24 said:

UTSA fans can kick rocks, their TE straight up blocked our LB who had the RB in man coverage in their last TD.  Like not even pretended to run a route.  I hate how much the game favors offenses.  Can you tell I coach defense? 

Id also like to go in record saying I'm not a fan of any of the zoom motions where we hand the pop off to Guyton,  he runs good routes and has good speed.  Just throw it to him.

also like to go on record and say Jeffrey Wilson won us this game, not with his legs, but with his pass pro.  Dude picked up damn near every extra rusher last drive, and several other times in the game.  Wow, I missed that the first time watching the game. 

Why rewatch? 

• Confused 5
  • Downvote 9

8 hours ago, shootermcgavin44 said:

Why rewatch? 

Because it was a hell of a game with an incredible finish?

Most of the exciting stuff was in the 1st and 4th quarters, but it was a straight dogfight for 60 minutes. I missed the game initially but rewatched and got to see everything. 

You can really tell Wilson game from SEC. Looking at their depth chart, the entire defense only has one guy under 6' and that's their nickel.

Big thumping linebackers, and tall physical corners. I get that's what he's used to, but with the way most of the teams spread you out in this league, it seems that may be putting them in a bad position. Clearly they've got a good defense, but I'm curious to see if his SEC style ball is going to translate long term in a league like CUSA that spreads you out and throws it around.

• Upvote 2

That would be a fun game to rewatch now.   But, there are 2 plays in particular that I don't want to revisit.

1. The 3rd and 17 when we somehow allowed Sturm to run for the first down.  I could not believe that and it nearly cost us the game. 
  2. Sturm's fumble at the goal line when all our guy had to do was fall on the ball and save a TD., instead of trying to pick it up.

Of course, if those things didn't happen we would not have had a chance to experience those last 67 seconds.

Edited by akriesman
  • Upvote 2

I agree with almost everything your saying. The exception being I loved the motion pop to Guyton. I think plays like the pop as well as the QB sweeps on goal line really caught UTSA off gaurd and, to some extent, kept them from completely packing the box and overloading the A and B gaps (which they still did anyways). I think it was a moderately successful attempt at keeping the defense honest. 

I love talking the X's and O's!!! So much to discuss and learn from! GMG!

• Upvote 5

I had to go home that night and rewatch parts of it.  I wanted to watch the last 2 minutes of the first half.  There were a couple calls I thought were suspect.  I wanted clarification on the Sturm fumble TD.  I think that's also when the personal foul against Jordan Murray was called.  I wanted to be able to see that again.  If he's not 18 inches taller than everyone else on the field, I don't think he gets that call.  Haha

They teased the halftime show with interviews from Neal and Wren so I watched that too.  Those guys are worried about SL leaving.  They both mentioned in their interviews that keeping him is a top priority.

And I had to watch the final drive as well just for kicks.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

10 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

Sturm hit on goal line I thought could of easily been helmet to helmet ! That was on viscous hit. Can't believe he was able to stay in the game!

I have watched that over and over as well, I think strum was turned a little and started going down by the first tackler and number 7 was already in the land of no return in his approach to Strum.  If Strum stayed up right I think he would have gotten a helmet in the chest.  That is all i could figure out on the play and why no penalty was called.  

Did anyone see the call of unnecessary roughness on the offense when fine was sack on the southend of the field,  I thought the refs threw flag when it was just fine and the guy that sacked him in the area.  I thought the flag was thrown for roughing the qb but was surprised when it wasn't.

10 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

1. We ran a twist away from the B gap that opened up and he ran through.  We were in cover 1 behind it and the free safety turned to run with a WR running a fade.  Leaving Garner alone with Sturm and somehow Garner ends up getting caught in trash of the OL/DL and can't get there.  By the time the DB's realized it was to late. I screamed like a toddler when that play was happening.

Thanks for that explanation.    Sturm is a pretty strong guy.  But, he is not the second coming of Vince Young.     And, Sturm had beaten us with his legs already a few times, which is why I was surprised it appeared to catch the D off guard.   

That play was a huge momentum changer.   Instead of punting from near their end zone, they drive for an easy TD.

7 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

Did anyone see the call of unnecessary roughness on the offense when fine was sack on the southend of the field,  I thought the refs threw flag when it was just fine and the guy that sacked him in the area.  I thought the flag was thrown for roughing the qb but was surprised when it wasn't.

I believe that's the call I referenced on Jordan Murray a few posts up.  Fine dropped the ball and UTSA players were all over it.  Murray ran into the pile head first and they threw the flag on him.

11 hours ago, GMG24 said:

Id also like to go in record saying I'm not a fan of any of the zoom motions where we hand the pop off to Guyton,  he runs good routes and has good speed.  Just throw it to him.

I liked it the first time, but wish we would have run some other things out of it. Play action, QB draw, RB draw, etc.

The more looks you run out of that set, the more effective it becomes.

Edited by MeanGreenDan

6 minutes ago, MeanGreenDan said:

I liked it the first time, but wish we would have run some other things out of it. Play action, QB draw, RB draw, etc.

The more looks you run out of that set, the more effective it becomes.

I thought after the first time, Hell yah! We are about to run that motion and send him on a route in the flat, then come back and run a wheel off that.  Womp womp.. never happened.  If we are running pop stuff I'd like to see Darden, Johnson type guys getting the ball.  

51 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

Sturm hit on goal line I thought could of easily been helmet to helmet ! That was on viscous hit. Can't believe he was able to stay in the game!

Given our luck (and CUSA officials), I was afraid the replay would come back with a foul/ejection being called.

It wasn't, but I still expected it.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Harry said:

I thought they went to the well too often on that as well.  His 1st one was good and then they kept going back to it.

I think they kept going back because of the up field pass-rush UTSA was getting.. going East-West was an attempt to try and make the DL/LBs pause of r a second watching whoever was coming across..

1 hour ago, GMG24 said:

I thought after the first time, Hell yah! We are about to run that motion and send him on a route in the flat, then come back and run a wheel off that.  Womp womp.. never happened.  If we are running pop stuff I'd like to see Darden, Johnson type guys getting the ball.  

I would agree having Darden or someone being that type of guy, but I would think the thought process is just get the ball into Guyton's hand anyway possible and let him go. 

Also, Guyton has done a world of good for this offense.. Him coming and taking over that #1 WR spot has allowed for guys like Rico/Smiley/Darden/Lawerence to slot in where they should be. Last year after Goree,Robinson left, it made some guys move up multiple spots.. Also, it helps us having a #1 that can catch everything

Edited by BTG_Fan1

Mr. James,

<Redacted>

Also, I keep hearing about how people from Dallas don't like Houston & SA.   I have never met anyone from D/FW that despises either of those cities.  Heck, most people LOVE SA.   Yet I've heard/seen disdain from Houston/SA folks against D/FW a lot.  Very weird.  It's like the sibling rivalry that's always playful, and then next thing you know, one brother is sitting in a counselor's office talking about how his other brother has wrecked him emotionally.

Edited by MeanGreenTexan
I'm an ass
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2